Help with Compression Test results - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Help with Compression Test results

Old 01-20-2019, 12:06 AM
fordtruckdoctor84
New User
fordtruckdoctor84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help with Compression Test results

Iíve got a 1973 F100 that is going through oil about a quart every 250-300 miles but otherwise runs pretty well after putting in a rebuilt carb and doing a tuneup. I know it leaks oil but did a Compression Test to see if itís burning it also.

Heres the results

1 - 125 dry, 150 wet
2 - 125 dry, 145 wet
3 - 125 dry, 140 wet
4 - 122 dry, 135 wet
5 - 140 dry, 155 wet
6 - 139 dry, 160 wet
7 - 130 dry, 150 wet
8 - 130 dry, 148 wet

Any thoughts? Iím a little unsure about the results. The dry test seems to be good but my understanding is that when a squirt of oil is added it shouldnít come up much more than 10%.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 01-20-2019, 01:25 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Well cylinder 4 looks to be suspicious. Have you had the valve covers off? Very common for the valve stem seals to be needing replacement.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:07 AM
fordtruckdoctor84
New User
fordtruckdoctor84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I havenít had the valve covers off. #4 is a bit lower but not that bad. But overall my main concern is whether Iím going to rebuild this motor completely or if i should go in the direction of replacing the leaking seals, re-ringing and doing valve stems/valves without having to pull the motor.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:46 AM
81F(ranken)100
Senior User
81F(ranken)100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
*assuming both wet and dry measurements were done warm and under the same circumstances*

Your significant jump in compression shows that the chamber isnít sealed as well as it should be, right? The tablespoon of oil you added through the spark plug hole helped to temporarily increase the seal during your wet test. And you can only lose compression past the rings, valves, valve seals, or head gasket (ignoring the spark plug hole).

Do you have the ability to perform a leak-down test? This could help you pinpoint the weak area; eg. hearing air escaping out the valve cover could indicate valve seals. Air (or oil?) escaping out the dipstick tube; rings. Air out the carb; intake valves. Out the exhaust; exhaust valves. Out the radiator; head gasket. You can probably rule out some of those based on other clues. Like milky oil, etc. But a leak-down test could/would/should give you a story about all of the above at the same time.

Seeing that most cylinders had a similar compression increase when wet, I would rule out head gasket and valve seats and think more about ďnormal wear and tearĒ like rings and valves seals.

Unless you have low oil pressure, you probably donít *need* to rebuild the bottom end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.