2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Had RAVELCO Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 04:19 PM
blueglide
Senior User
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Had RAVELCO Installed

Traveling to Tucson from Gulf Shores we planned to have a RAVELCO Anti-theft Device installed while staying a couple days near San Antonio, TX. Installer came out to the campground. Install took a couple hours. I watched while he did it and when it was all done I was very impressed. I defy anyone to find and defeat this device in under a day. You would literally need lots of time and tools (multimeter) and a fair amount of Ford SD electrical wiring knowledge to figure out how/where its installed and then defeat it. Car thief isn't gonna make it happen in some parking lot or driveway. I laughed when he told me how many times he has had to go to dealerships to show techs how to remove systems from used vehicles that customers were buying and didn't want to keep RAVELCO with vehicle (not sure why you wouldn't want to leave it in) . Anyway, very professionally done and I have the piece of mind knowing that regardless if some thief breaks a window to get in my truck, the truck will still be there even if my loose change isn't!
Engine compartment photo after install....you won't see a hint of the device wiring.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Bombero
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
How much was the system, if you don’t mind me asking?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:07 PM
blueglide
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bombero
How much was the system, if you don’t mind me asking?
$599 installed. A little pricey perhaps but much cheaper than a stolen truck.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:08 PM
blueiron
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All someone needs is a 1 ton truck with a repo stinger or a flat bed wrecker. It would be gone in less than a few minutes and the Ravelco device can be dealt with at the thief's leisure.

Nothing is completely secure.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Bombero
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blueglide
$599 installed. A little pricey perhaps but much cheaper than a stolen truck.
Cheaper than the co-pay on my insurance policy.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:15 PM
blueglide
Senior User
Originally Posted by blueiron
All someone needs is a 1 ton truck with a repo stinger or a flat bed wrecker. It would be gone in less than a few minutes and the Ravelco device can be dealt with at the thief's leisure.

Nothing is completely secure.
Duhh...I guess I wasted my money. I'm glad there's plenty of people with that mindset...hopefully the thief steals the easy targets and after 30 years as a LEO I never took a stolen vehicle report where the thief drove a wrecker.

The following 2 users liked this post by blueglide:
Old 01-18-2019, 06:28 PM
Rockinfigs
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How does that system work with the remote start?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:32 PM
blueglide
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rockinfigs
How does that system work with the remote start?
Doesn't affect the remote start at all. If you don't have the Ravelco plug in however the truck won't start no matter what. Installer showed me how easy these trucks are to break into and hot wire. The remote start and keyless start vehicles are even easier.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:00 AM
Kegme13
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's an awesome spot for the plug. Mine is down near the parking brake release. Gotta love the peace of mind!

Old 01-19-2019, 07:34 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Since you watched, is this the type of aftermarket installation that relies on scotchlok type connectors seen on so many car alarm installs?

Having been in the automotive field in a prior career (new cars) I came to despise those cheater items.

Never had aftermarket alarms and such and never worried as well where we live.
But, next year will be a new truck and now retired, hopefully a warmer retirement friendly but unknown locale.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:55 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Originally Posted by porthole
Since you watched, is this the type of aftermarket installation that relies on scotchlok type connectors seen on so many car alarm installs?

Having been in the automotive field in a prior career (new cars) I came to despise those cheater items.

Never had aftermarket alarms and such and never worried as well where we live.
But, next year will be a new truck and now retired, hopefully a warmer retirement friendly but unknown locale.
No Scotchlok connectors used. Only spliced into two wires that control fuel pump and starter. He used heat shrink butt connectors and then taped all splices before putting inside plastic wire conduit. He covered the only part of the wire conduit visible with factory OEM electrical tape so you couldnt see a difference in the tape. Half the skill/art/value of the install is the how well the installer camouflages or hides his work.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:22 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by blueglide
No Scotchlok connectors used. Only spliced into two wires that control fuel pump and starter. He used heat shrink butt connectors and then taped all splices before putting inside plastic wire conduit. He covered the only part of the wire conduit visible with factory OEM electrical tape so you couldnt see a difference in the tape. Half the skill/art/value of the install is the how well the installer camouflages or hides his work.
thanks.

Im sure different installers will have different procedures, but knowing it can/should be done properly is a plus.

retired?

i just retired from fire. Will be spending part of my first winter away in Gulf Shores.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:47 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Originally Posted by porthole

thanks.

retired?

i just retired from fire. Will be spending part of my first winter away in Gulf Shores.
Yup...full timing in the fifth wheel and loving it. Gulf Shores was nice but they get a buttload of rain. Lookin for a little drier area. Park we were in for a couple months was almost all snowbirds from Michigan, Wisconsin, and Indiana.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
had one on a previous truck, never an issue with it. Very dependable.

BTW they do offer a military discount on the price.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:09 PM
adamsfbay
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP,

Thanks for sharing! Based on your post and some research, I had my Ravelco installed today. They put the plug to the lower right opposite side of ebrake. Install was 3-4 hours and hard work, but pristine result.

Quick Reply: Had RAVELCO Installed