Tow Rating - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Tow Rating

Old 01-09-2019, 04:31 PM
romero969
New User
romero969 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck has the diesel 6.7L V8 engine and the 3.55 axle ratio. it has the trailer tow package. I guess option (3)

Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Army RET View Post
Another (unmentioned) concern is the weight of your hitch. Many hitches exceed 200#, and that goes against your cargo allowance.
Actually mentioned in Ford’s “fine print” citation above. Good point nonetheless.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM
romero969
New User
Is there any way to increase tow and payload capacity?

Old 01-09-2019, 05:10 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by romero969 View Post
Is there any way to increase tow and payload capacity?
Sure... buy a bigger truck.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
Yes, start by shedding weight. Fenders, hood, cab, doors, bumpers, seats and your mother-in-law. Oh yeah, the radio too.
Assuming all that sheds 1,000 pounds you'd be close to the allowable payload.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:27 PM
romero969
New User
I am grateful for you assistance. I am down to 2 options, buy bigger truck or much smaller RV. just did the math. an RV with a GVWR of less than 12,000 and hitch weight less than 1,400 will give me few extra pounds play with.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by romero969 View Post
I am grateful for you assistance. I am down to 2 options, buy bigger truck or much smaller RV. just did the math. an RV with a GVWR of less than 12,000 and hitch weight less than 1,400 will give me few extra pounds play with.
I keep trying to make the point, your payload is seriously inadequate. In order to track straight a 12,000# 5th wheel NEEDS a minimum of 20% of the fifths weight (12K/20%) on the truck. Thats 2400 pounds - while your allowable is 2335#. And that 2335# will actually be less with ANY / ALL cargo onboard (like pets, firewood, wheel chocks, bbq grill, 5th wheel hitch, etc).

The stated 1400 pounds refers to the way it comes balanced from the factory, often without batteries, propane tanks, water, etc. You need to load it (the pin weight) so 20% of the total fifths weight sits on the truck.

Now as I said earlier, even a 10K 5th would be close without carefully loading everything. But this load is now at least in the ballpark for your F250.

To be within limits you need much-much more truck - or much-much less fifth. To be even more blunt (while nice) it's only a Super Duty in name.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:10 PM
romero969
New User
Thanks Army_RET. I retired from the service after 25 years. survived 5 deployments. I want to make sure my wife and I are save on the road here as well. I am a rookie in this matters. I should have done more research on towing science. most fifths weights are over this truck's payload capacity. Thanks again!!!!

Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru

You're welcome. I didn't wish to come across as rude but at the same time I wanted to get your attention so that you didn't make a very common (and expensive) mistake. Many before you have listened to sales people - only to find themselves in a financial quagmire needing to dump one or the other. You asked the right questions/ in the right forum - before they got to you.

There are options for using this F250: a smaller/lighter fifth wheel (10K and under), a lighter hitch (Anderson Ultimate Hitch - 40 pounds), careful attention to your cargo weights and where its placed. Avoid stop-go traffic (and big mountains) and minor weight discrepancies will be of little concern.

Do post back on what you purchase.

Oh yeah, are you getting tired of hearing "thank you for your service"? While it would have been appropriate 30-40 /50 years ago, today the service is only a memory to me (excluding that monthly check).

To all you youngsters out there, remember ... that check, once earned, is for life.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:16 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Army RET View Post
There are options for using this F250: a smaller/lighter fifth wheel (10K and under), a lighter hitch (Anderson Ultimate Hitch - 40 pounds), careful attention to your cargo weights and where its placed. Avoid stop-go traffic (and big mountains) and minor weight discrepancies will be of little concern.
Another option is a bumper pull trailer. You can sometimes get a heavier bumper pull trailer than a 5th wheel because the bumper pull trailer doesn't suck up so much of the cargo capacity. A travel trailer usually imposes 10to 15% of the GVWR on the rear of the truck.

There are other advantages to a bumper pull, but not many. Bumper pull trailers are more flexible when it comes to taking them off the pavement since they have more clearance relative to the truck than does a 5th wheel trailer.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:51 PM
'65Ford
Posting Guru
'65Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Another option is a bumper pull trailer. You can sometimes get a heavier bumper pull trailer than a 5th wheel because the bumper pull trailer doesn't suck up so much of the cargo capacity. A travel trailer usually imposes 10to 15% of the GVWR on the rear of the truck.

There are other advantages to a bumper pull, but not many. Bumper pull trailers are more flexible when it comes to taking them off the pavement since they have more clearance relative to the truck than does a 5th wheel trailer.
In theory, yes but in practical application not really...

15,500 lbs and certainly 18,000 lbs like some of the 2018 F250's and SRW F350's are rated for bumper pull is enough if the trailer is compact and has low center of gravity. A camper that heavy is likely 35 feet long plus and 12 feet tall plus. That's a lot to keep stable at the far end of a SRW pickup and the bumper hitch needs to be dialed in very well for stability.

As far as hitch flexibility...If you have 6 or more inches between the pickup bed rails and the bottom of a fiver you'll need some serious pitch to make it bind....like dumping the drawers/cabinets and coming close to landing the fiver on its side.

My comfort level is look for a smaller camper or dually.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I don't know about that my 5th wheel has been off road pretty far and not all smooth level paths.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:11 PM
xxxsherpa
Posting Guru
xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
And pics to prove it.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:15 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Well, of course I don't have any actual experience pulling a 5th wheel. Just bumper pull trailers. When I was narrowing down my search for a trailer I described where I go and a number of people said to avoid a 5th wheel.

I know I sure would like to be in a 5th wheel simply because it pulls easier than a bumper pull. Or so I've read on the Internet.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:19 PM
romero969
New User
Great information. I’ll keep you posted on course of action. I am contemplating getting a smaller RV. I have to see what will it take to get a F350 with the appropriate weight ratings.
I decided to stop by a local RV park and noticed a bunch of 3/4 ton trucks pulling heavy 5th wheels. I spoke to a three of them, and they claim to have no issues. I was just curious.
I just have another (probably silly) question.The max tow rating is 14,000 lbs, and the truck GVWR is 10,000 lbs.Why is the GCWR 22,000 lbs and not 24,000 lbs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.