2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why I ordered an F-450 and expect to be overweight.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
Originally Posted by bobv60
So all this discusion made me go look at my registartion.
Truck is a 2018 F450, registeted on Oregon
On the registration, the box for weigh/length is blank.
No where else on the registration in an mention of weight.
On the DMV new vehicle registration "Notice of tranaction submitted" (registration submition) there is two boxes that have yes/no checkboxes.
one is "GVWR over 26000 lbs "
the other, "trailer over 8,000 lbs"
both are checked no on the application.

Look at that link and the exemptions at the bottom. For being considered a liberal state they are pretty generous to y’all big truck guys RV’in.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:47 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe T

Look at that link and the exemptions at the bottom. For being considered a liberal state they are pretty generous to y’all big truck guys RV’in.
i didnt notice the "minus the weight of a camper" before.
So there you have it.
like i have been saying RVs are excluded, even truck campers

Old 01-06-2019, 03:09 PM
visceral
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobv60
So all this discusion made me go look at my registartion.
Truck is a 2018 F450, registeted on Oregon
On the registration, the box for weigh/length is blank.
No where else on the registration in an mention of weight.
On the DMV new vehicle registration "Notice of tranaction submitted" (registration submition) there is two boxes that have yes/no checkboxes.
one is "GVWR over 26000 lbs "
the other, "trailer over 8,000 lbs"
both are checked no on the application.
Another tell is if you have a T-plate for a truck over 10k GVWR. Does your plate start with a T?

Old 01-06-2019, 03:20 PM
visceral
Junior User
Being a big fan of Oregon and a liberal firearm owner raised in Alaska, I like to think that Oregon and Alaska is the most "common-sense states", though that's a pretty easy race to win.

Truck and RV regulation would mostly interest or effect rural Oregon, which is not in any way liberal (to me, anyways). Wether it's Christmas trees, cattle, hogs, or grass seed, Oregon has a huge agg output. There are substantial volumes of dirty, almost worn out Oregon farm trucks turning out their value every year.

Oregon is the home of Les Schwab, the famously high-customer-service tire dealer thats quite excited to work on or replace the 19.5" tires at any of their many locations through the city or across the state.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:42 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by visceral
Another tell is if you have a T-plate for a truck over 10k GVWR. Does your plate start with a T?
no, none of my 10+ personsl trucks had truck plates.
All my friends have pickups, most 350/3500 SRW, all of them are regular plates.
I have hauled just about everything in my truck, hay, gravel, building materal, fire wood you name it, and so have my friends, but only for ourselves.
Before i bought my first F450 i checked with DMV and my insuance agent because I was told some states and insurers consider a f450 comercial only.
The DMV reply was as long as it was for personal use, no special plates. My insurer added a "rider" and it is insured as a F350 DRW.
The only people i know that had truck plates had business like tractor work, hauling for hire, and landscaping.
I have always been told you dont need truck plates unless you have a business hauling stuff.
like i posted above, my truck does not have a weight on the registration. As hungry as the state is for money (you will pay an Oregon vehicle privilege tax of .5% of the retail price on your new truck) if there was any reason I would need truck plates on my F450, they would have asked.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:35 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
Being a big fan of Oregon and a liberal firearm owner raised in Alaska, I like to think that Oregon and Alaska is the most "common-sense states", though that's a pretty easy race to win.

Truck and RV regulation would mostly interest or effect rural Oregon, which is not in any way liberal (to me, anyways). Wether it's Christmas trees, cattle, hogs, or grass seed, Oregon has a huge agg output. There are substantial volumes of dirty, almost worn out Oregon farm trucks turning out their value every year.

Oregon is the home of Les Schwab, the famously high-customer-service tire dealer thats quite excited to work on or replace the 19.5" tires at any of their many locations through the city or across the state.
Yea I am in a very democrat area and vote for the best candidate. My next door neighbors moved to Portland to retire a couple years ago.

What im suggesting is follow the law and pay your taxes. If the camper isn’t included in payload and you aren’t exceeding your vehicle ratings just document it by bringing that form and advertised weights with you when traveling.

Im not a big fan of fake news for the record.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 AM
mgpsfan
Senior User
Im not a big fan of fake news for the record.
I don't think anyone is.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 AM
ravill
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best. Weight. Thread. Ever!

LOL!

Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My internet laziness just turns up pictures of stickers such as this 4x4 6.7 F350 dually with a 5600 payload:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...2&postcount=67

perhaps it isn't as optioned out as my Lariat will be, but its not too far off. That looks 900lbs different, though I havent seen a sticker for a XL F-450.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:04 PM
PFD66
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
So does that chart list the total registration fee, or it that added to another fee, like an excise tax.. to register your truck for different weights?
Here every 1 ton and above truck has to get commercial plates, even if for personal use.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:45 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Arent the alumaduties like 500 lbs lighter as well?
As near as I can tell, the 2017 aluminum trucks are about the same weight as the earlier steel trucks. My featherweight aluminum F450 weighed 9247# from the factory, ~9700# with my tonneau and hitch.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 PM
onebadaries
New User
My 2018 f350 Longbed Platinum SRW straight from the dealer bone stock with a full tank of Diesel 48 gals weighs in at 8420

Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 PM
visceral
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2009kr
As near as I can tell, the 2017 aluminum trucks are about the same weight as the earlier steel trucks. My featherweight aluminum F450 weighed 9247# from the factory, ~9700# with my tonneau and hitch.
It’s a King Ranch, right? Do you have the moon roof?

All that poop-brown colored leather weighs a lot!

Old 02-02-2019, 08:43 PM
visceral
Junior User
Some pretty interesting and cool news. First off, the truck is here. I've never been a "truck person", but this thing is incredible.

I was pretty disappointed when I saw the payload sticker. 4713. Thats no more than others who ordered KRs or Platinum trucks and I ordered a Lariat without FX4, Moonroof, etc. I did however decide to take the truck and get it weighed during it's inaugural dump run. Before I did that, I removed the spare tire. The spare is going to be put in the trailer when the camper is on the truck.

We had some fun and all weighed ourselves before we went. Dressed, the family was 545 pounds (one kid was at a friends house) and we had 35 pounds in straps, tarps, and totes, so 580 extra pounds. On the way out the truck weighed 9480 pounds, meaning the truck is only 8900 pounds with a full tank. This makes me really happy, since thats 400 lbs that I can use elsewhere. I dont doubt the spare is 200, but not much more. The payload sticker seems like it was almost totally randomly calculated. My new numbers:

5100 payload
-4100 Host Cascade
-500 stuff
-600 family (there's 2 adults, 3 kids)
-800 tongue weight
-400 water
--------------
1300 overweight with a 800 tongue trailer
700 overweight with a 200 tongue trailer

The camper arrives in 3 weeks or so and I'm excited to see how it all turns out. THis new truck feels like it could handle absolutely f&*(ing anything.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:05 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pictures!!

Quick Reply: Why I ordered an F-450 and expect to be overweight.