Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird noise from the engine?

Old 12-29-2018, 11:41 PM
6leaker
Junior User
6leaker has a very good reputation on FTE.6leaker has a very good reputation on FTE.6leaker has a very good reputation on FTE.
Weird noise from the engine?

Hey guys, ever since I bought this truck back in October it makes this noise on the cold start. It goes away after a minute or less of idling but I still haven't been able to track it down. When it got below freezing I was able to see exhaust coming out of that area so my first thought was the boot off the turbo might be ripped but from what I can feel it seems to be intact. I'll try to confirm that, but are there any other places I should be looking? The odd thing is that after a minute or so the noise goes away and I don't hear it until the next morning.

The truck is a 2011 F-350 King Ranch, it did this bone stock and it is currently DPF deleted and it's still doing this. EGR is in place but un plugged.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:54 AM
lynnmor
Senior User
lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine always made that sound, it's just there to annoy the neighbors.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:16 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Sounds to me like the turbo bearings.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:19 AM
golfmedik
Post Fiend
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Can't tell if it's a bearing whine like Scott mentioned or if it has something to do with the glow plugs or modules when it's cold..

Old 12-30-2018, 10:45 AM
6leaker
Junior User
6leaker has a very good reputation on FTE.6leaker has a very good reputation on FTE.6leaker has a very good reputation on FTE.
My first concern is the turbo, however if the bearings were bad why does the noise go away after a minute or so? Is there an easy way to check these turbos?

Old 12-30-2018, 10:58 AM
254XP3
Junior User
254XP3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My bet would be the exhaust manifold(s).

Old 12-30-2018, 11:28 AM
rob17
Senior User
rob17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine makes EXACTLY the same sound when first started. It goes away in a few minutes and doesn't come back for the rest of day. It's done that for a couple years now. I just ignore it.

Rob

Old 12-30-2018, 02:08 PM
6leaker
Junior User
Today's a good weather day so I'm cleaning the intake and going through that. I have the throttle body off and I'm getting ready to put it back on, however I can't seem to find the harness to plug it in? I didn't take one off either which has me worried however there was nothing I yanked out. Where can I find the harness in the engine bay? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

EDIT:
Is that one of the plugs that get unplugged for the EGR?

Old 12-30-2018, 02:49 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Hard to tell on audio recordings. Mine sounds like a mini table saw (not constant) when it's cold, sometimes. I've not been able to capture the exact sound with a phone mic. It has done this for eight years. It's only at idle. If the temps are below freezing and I turn on high idle, the sound doesn't occur while it's producing 5 PSI boost for warm up (or at least I can't hear it). When the warm up strategy is done after 2-3 minutes and boost returns to 0, the noise doesn't occur. I have not had the noise occur yet this winter but I also don't think I've been driving it on those cold days.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:00 PM
6leaker
Junior User
Well I cleaned the intake and got everything back together, that wasn't the issue. I have a SCT GTX tuner / monitor so I was curious to know what the VGT % was doing when it makes this owl noise but the VGT % stays constant. If I raise the RPM ever so slightly it goes away. I'm also noticing on the warmer days the sound is a lot quieter and doesn't last as long. After cleaning the intake I noticed there's little holes in that plastic tube that people say breaks a lot, I wander if the sound is air getting through there.

And the intake needed to be cleaned BADLY

Old 12-30-2018, 04:24 PM
rob17
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6leaker View Post

And the intake needed to be cleaned BADLY

What is that?

Rob

Old 12-30-2018, 04:38 PM
6leaker
Junior User
Originally Posted by rob17 View Post
What is that?

Rob
That pic specifically is right behind the throttle plate, in the engine it is right here:

Old 12-30-2018, 05:19 PM
rob17
Senior User
I also replaced the intake tube, as a precaution. All I saw as a bit of oil film. You seem to have a lot of carbon buildup.

Rob

Old 12-30-2018, 05:28 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
That is nasty looking!

Old 12-30-2018, 08:59 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Wow! And I wasn't sure what to think about mine when I noticed it while replacing the CAC pipe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: