Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird noise from the engine?

Old 12-30-2018, 09:03 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
I seem to remember the owl noise description now. I think it was related to the wastegate solenoid, which I've also had replaced.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:52 PM
6leaker
Junior User
6leaker has a good reputation on FTE.6leaker has a good reputation on FTE.6leaker has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by kper05 View Post
I seem to remember the owl noise description now. I think it was related to the wastegate solenoid, which I've also had replaced.

I'll be replacing mine soon but I can't find one lol. I don't like to buy things online so I called O'reilly, Autozone, and Napa and none of them seem to even be able to order one. I'll call the dealer in the morning and that will tell me if I'm buying online or not lol.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:37 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
If you decide online, I purchase the OEM parts I need from here. Every time I need a part direct from the dealer it's list price.
Possibly part number BC3Z-9E882-A but you'll want to confirm that. A local shop replaced mine when I had other issues for them to work on and I don't know the specific part number.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...OC1kaWVzZWw%3D

Old 12-31-2018, 12:43 AM
Troy Buenger
Postmaster
Troy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 6leaker View Post
Hey guys, ever since I bought this truck back in October it makes this noise on the cold start. It goes away after a minute or less of idling but I still haven't been able to track it down. When it got below freezing I was able to see exhaust coming out of that area so my first thought was the boot off the turbo might be ripped but from what I can feel it seems to be intact. I'll try to confirm that, but are there any other places I should be looking? The odd thing is that after a minute or so the noise goes away and I don't hear it until the next morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dCa16kO118

The truck is a 2011 F-350 King Ranch, it did this bone stock and it is currently DPF deleted and it's still doing this. EGR is in place but un plugged.
Completely normal and it's coming from the turbo. Mines makes this same sound only during winter months and currently have 161k miles so I don't think it's a problem.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:03 AM
kper05
Post Fiend
Additionally, if you don't have the mini air compressor noise at shutdown (all temps) your wastegate solenoid could be fine.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:59 AM
6leaker
Junior User
6leaker has a good reputation on FTE.6leaker has a good reputation on FTE.6leaker has a good reputation on FTE.
If you decide online, I purchase the OEM parts I need from here. Every time I need a part direct from the dealer it's list price.
Possibly part number BC3Z-9E882-A but you'll want to confirm that. A local shop replaced mine when I had other issues for them to work on and I don't know the specific part number.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...OC1kaWVzZWw%3D
Thanks! I'll call all the parts places again, I was calling it a wastegate solenoid not a vacuum valve, hopefully they'll have something lol.

It sounds like an air compressor for about a minute when I shut it down if it's at operating temp.

Another question is while I'm trying to find this hoot noise I'm turning it on and shutting it off a lot but when I shut it off it makes the same noise as if I were to floor it and let go from the turbo but instead of 1 "bark" it keeps barking quieter and quieter until there's no more air passing through if that makes sense. If it's warm it doesn't do that.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:11 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 6leaker View Post
Thanks! I'll call all the parts places again, I was calling it a wastegate solenoid not a vacuum valve, hopefully they'll have something lol.

It sounds like an air compressor for about a minute when I shut it down if it's at operating temp.

Another question is while I'm trying to find this hoot noise I'm turning it on and shutting it off a lot but when I shut it off it makes the same noise as if I were to floor it and let go from the turbo but instead of 1 "bark" it keeps barking quieter and quieter until there's no more air passing through if that makes sense. If it's warm it doesn't do that.
There is also part number BC3Z-6F089-A (Actuator Assembly). But... it seems reasonable to think the other part is what makes the noise at shutdown plus it does word it as a solenoid.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...tor-bc3z6f089a

Old 12-31-2018, 06:02 PM
stsmark
Senior User
stsmark is starting off with a positive reputation.
The noise is normal for the dual scroll turbo, it has to do with airflow and a harmonic caused by the clearances in the compressor being more open following a cold soak. Some do it some donít based on the tolerance stack during assembly. After a couple minutes things warm and it goes away.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:19 PM
mebe2k
Posting Guru
mebe2k is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger View Post
Completely normal and it's coming from the turbo. Mines makes this same sound only during winter months and currently have 161k miles so I don't think it's a problem.
Mine sounds like the horn is honking for a few minutes on a cold startup in winter..have had my co-workers tell me my truck sounds like sh-- many times....

Old 01-01-2019, 12:26 PM
6leaker
Junior User
So I did a lot of stuff, I decided to just go through everything I could and here's what I found.

The worm drive clamp from the air box was loose (someone replaced the filter but forgot to tighten the clamp)
The air filter its self was super dirty
The intake was disgusting as seen in the pics
The lines on the fuel filter have a lot of play (I assume this is normal for a push to connect fitting?)
The fuel filter housing moves a bit (again I assume this is normal after looking at how you take it off)
Power steering fluid was a tad too full

What I did:
Tightened the clamp on the air box
Smacked the filter to get a lot of dirt out (getting a new filter tomorrow)
Cleaned as much of the intake as I could
Unplugged the fuel filter lines and took out the fuel filter as if I were to change it. Filter looks good (according to receipts they were replaced 4k miles ago) and put everything back together
Drained a little power steering fluid out, may be time to change it
Electrical taped around that intake elbow where those holes are in the post where I showed how dirty the intake was

After all that it didn't make the owl noise yesterday or today. Yesterday it got below freezing and usually the colder it was outside it seemed like the more it would make that noise.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
Random observation, is your coolant orange or red?

Old 01-03-2019, 08:54 PM
6leaker
Junior User
Random observation, is your coolant orange or red?
I'm pretty sure it's orange, I'll check tomorrow though.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:35 PM
6leaker
Junior User
The coolant in both tanks is orange.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:29 PM
6leaker
Junior User
Well I hate to bring this back but the noise is there again. The air filter has been replaced and the solenoid still hasn't been replaced. Been getting jacked around on that but that's what happens when you're a budget shopper I guess lol. Anyway that's on order from ANF white bear lake.

I'm 99% sure this is a exhaust noise from the turbo as I had my dad start the truck up and give it gas when it made that noise and it gets louder as the RPMs increase but goes away very fast. I still haven't been able to find a leak in the downpipe however I also do not have a powerful enough source of air.

Another thing I've been questioning is when I open the hood I get a smell of coolant. I'm not loosing any coolant in either system that I can tell however I did do some research on coolant leaks with these engines and a fairly common one is a fitting on the turbo leaking (the radiators don't appear to be cracked in anyway). This might be the cause of the smell but do you think it could also be the cause of the sound?

EDIT:
The reason I believe it may be is because when it's been sitting for a while all the pressure would've leaked out of the system and when you get it warm it will build pressure and make the seal work temporarily. This could also be the reason why when some people got their turbos replaced it went away because that fitting would've been changed out, yet others haven't has issues with their turbos because it could be a coolant pressure leak. That's where my hopeful mind goes anyway.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:39 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
2011' and 2012 had the turbo fittings that would leak. Check the valley of the motor for evidence. It might also just be the degas bottle cap. An easy fix for minimal amount of money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: