North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

North Carolina Spring Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 05:46 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have any of you guys ever stayed in the little cabins/ houses out on the outer bank at cape lookout? That would be a cool place to get together sometime. They’re right on the beach and the fishing is awesome in the spring and fall and the reds and trout are huge in the fall. Check them out, it’s a little small village of one room cabins and a small store but that’s about it. I figure that,my boat and a few ATVs and we could have a blast if any of you like to fish. There’s also plenty of places to ride your truck on the beach and utv/ atv trails all over unless that has changed in the last few years. They do charge a small fee for the cabins but to my knowledge it’s not much at all. Ah and the ferry ride over is for a fee as well, it’s not bad unless you drive a F350 dually and they charge you for 3 cars. LoL

Old 01-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MAKO314
Have any of you guys ever stayed in the little cabins/ houses out on the outer bank at cape lookout? That would be a cool place to get together sometime. They’re right on the beach and the fishing is awesome in the spring and fall and the reds and trout are huge in the fall. Check them out, it’s a little small village of one room cabins and a small store but that’s about it. I figure that,my boat and a few ATVs and we could have a blast if any of you like to fish. There’s also plenty of places to ride your truck on the beach and utv/ atv trails all over unless that has changed in the last few years. They do charge a small fee for the cabins but to my knowledge it’s not much at all. Ah and the ferry ride over is for a fee as well, it’s not bad unless you drive a F350 dually and they charge you for 3 cars. LoL
I actually go out to one of the island every year. Have done for the last 4 or 5 years. Started with Portsmouth. The vehicle ferry ride is a little longer. The cabins out there have electricity, which they power from a huge diesel generator. Though each cabin is only allowed like 30 or 20 amps each. Still, it's nice not having to bring your own generator. A few have A\C, and a few other's have heat. But none have refrigerators. very basic and simple. The cost of a dually going out wasn't that much more than a crew cab long bed. We took a buddy's dually one year, along with my jeep, which I let another friend drive, and my f-150. Ended up having to tow the dually back on to the ferry with the jeep, and off with the f-150. There is a little village back on the sound side at the north end of the island. The road over is constantly flooded. The jeep makes it fine. I wouldn't try with an F-150 or my truck at least. Though one of the guys that went another year took his over to the village, but we timed it with the tide. The village is abondoned and cared for by the NPS. No stores there.

At the ferry dock the NPS runs an office. Where you can buy gasoline and ice. Otherwise nothing else for sale on that island. However, if you want to get away. Then that's about as out there as you can get.

Then there is the North island, sometimes called CALO. That you can also get to via ferry with your truck or atv. A shorter drive, and a shorter ferry ride. There is an active lighthouse out there, that you can climb. It was a pretty good climb. The NPS store has more stuff you can buy, all tourist type things. Don't remember gas for sale on that island, but it could be. Lots of cabins to rent. They have these little box outbuildings that they have run the cabin wiring to, that has a 110 outlet in it (male end) that you can plug into your generator. There are restrictions on the size of the generator that you are allowed to use there. The cabins vary in size on that island as well, from one room cabins, that sleep I think 6 on up to 2 and three room cabins. Also have smaller ones if I remember correctly. On that island I saw a lot more camper trailers and even a couple of old RV's and a converted school bus. Sand isn't as thick back in the dunes. Very nice quiet places to go.

We've talked about going, as a group. But with Marty's back, we would hate to get out there, and have a problem, and then not being able to get back over, as the ferry doesn't run at night. Since we need Marty, as he is the camp cook! it probably won't happen as an FTE group. I was not going to go this year, last year our cabin ended up being right next to one full of party goers and I dislike the noise, especially since I had Cat and the kids with me that time. Plus we have our eyes set on a different type of vacation this year.

Oh Matt said he was out in May I think around the 12th. So I'll have to get back to looking at the available weekends. to see when we can get our camp site.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:22 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
I’m good with camping, I was just curious if any of you guys had ever tried the obx cabins. I actually own a house on Harkers island down at the cape so it was a thought.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:26 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Harkers Island.
Used to drive over to Harkers when I was stationed at Cherry Point, 66-68...

Old 01-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Alright. So checked the site, and it looks like site B will be available on the weekend of April 19th - 21st. I think that works with eveyone's schedule so I am going to pull the trigger on it. Put it in the calendars. If anyone wants to go longer or stay later, it may be doable.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:51 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader

Trip is booked.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:31 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fuzzy1626
Harkers Island.
Used to drive over to Harkers when I was stationed at Cherry Point, 66-68...
i love that place. It’s my happy place and my home away from home.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:34 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Alright. So checked the site, and it looks like site B will be available on the weekend of April 19th - 21st. I think that works with eveyone's schedule so I am going to pull the trigger on it. Put it in the calendars. If anyone wants to go longer or stay later, it may be doable.
im good with those dates, but you do realize that’s Easter weekend right?

Old 01-22-2019, 03:46 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
No, I did not realize that. Why do I feel like I just got myself in trouble. I think I had plans to take Cat and the kids camping Easter weekend in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park... uh oh...

Old 01-22-2019, 07:03 AM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
No, I did not realize that. Why do I feel like I just got myself in trouble. I think I had plans to take Cat and the kids camping Easter weekend in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park... uh oh...
yeah I’m good with that weekend but I seen that it was Easter so I figured I better say something. I’m really kind of surprised that the site was available that weekend actually.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:16 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
I'm good with Easter or any weekend in April, just can't be 10-12 May for me.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:07 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
I'll have to see if I can find someone to fill in for me that sat. I usually play the Easter Bunny at the Legion egg hunt.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Tony,
I can try to find another weekend. I'll see if I can get the dates changed, probably will have to wait until after the shutdown.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:11 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Tony,
I can try to find another weekend. I'll see if I can get the dates changed, probably will have to wait until after the shutdown.
That was a joke, Josh...
Didn't you see the little guy at the bottom of my post?

Old 01-23-2019, 09:34 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Due to unforeseen circumstances there will be no Easter celebrations this year. It seem the Easter Bunny will be on a long needed vacation with his friends at the lake. Please understand that it is a much deserved time away from the real world for a few days.

Quick Reply: North Carolina Spring Trip