2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tailgate Ladder

Old 12-27-2018, 04:38 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Tailgate Ladder

Chevy people used to call it a "Man Step". They didn't need no stinkin' "Man Step". Though they now have incorporated a "Man Step" into their trucks. Dunno about Dodge. Sorry, RAM. Anyway, Ford has for a few years had a very good "Man Step" available for their trucks. I sure wish I would have gotten one for this truck. Since it sits so much higher than my '11 did, partly due to the 4X4, partly due to the camper package, and partly just because Ford built them higher, I needed a "Old Man Step". There, I have officially renamed it. My search brought me to this:
Traxion Tailgate Ladder Traxion Tailgate Ladder
. I read the reviews, and ended up buying it. There are some negative reviews, mostly due to premature rust areas, and weak screws for the base plate. But overall it looked good. So I installed it today. Super easy installation. It took about 30 minutes. And so far, I like it. It's a little clumsy under my carport, but once out in the open, it does what it;s supposed to. It's a fairly clean setup and storage, and easily removable with a couple of quick disconnect pins. I will probably replace the storage strap with something better, and the little 2X2 piece of wood you see is my grab handle. I will find something better for that also. But for now, it works. For $49.00, I highly recommend.

The base plate is secured with sheet metal screws. I went to Home Depot and bought some self-tapping sheet metal screws with the hex head instead of philips head screws. It may or may not have been necessary, but it makes me feel better.

Here it is stored and strapped in. It's not in this pic, but I also have my "grab handle" (2X2 piece of wood for now) strapped in there. I was able to use two existing screws on the tailgate for the strap. Which is good...I hate drilling into a new truck!

Here's a picture with my "grab handle" in place. It actually works pretty good, but does look kinda redneck. It'll do until I find something better and neater.

And oh yeah...I got my hitch rails installed. Now to get it over to the camper and see what kind of height adjustments I need to make. Then a trip...a trip...we need to make a trip!

Old 12-27-2018, 04:43 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
At least with that one you don't need a step stool to access the step on the OEM step. If Ford would have made that step as an option I would have picked it.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:44 PM
BlackSTXFL
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m sure there are times that one wishes their step was off to the side. After seeing this and thinking about it now I gotta have twos steps.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:24 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
This ladder feels a little flimsy, so the jury is still out. I'm around 240 pounds, and it seems to hold me okay. But time will tell. Hopefully I will get at least a couple of years out of it.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:49 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,515 Likes on 828 Posts
That step is awesome. The handle is awesomer. As an old fat guy it would be easier to use than the current new-fangled tailgate step. It also makes a lot of sense for us gooseneck pulling guys. When hooking up I always have to go over the side or step on the landing gear pad and pull up on the trailer to get into the bed to hook up the chains and break away lanyard and drop the pin. With this step it would be easier for sure. Nice work!

Old 12-27-2018, 09:32 PM
Screamingbear
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Corrosive

The ladder looks good, however you need to be very careful to avoid bimetal corrosion when attaching anything to aluminum body panels. The screws need to be separated with a non conductive washer. There are many threads on this subject, I suggest you search for this, and follow the Ford guidelines regarding fasteners.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:16 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,703 Likes on 1,316 Posts
I loved the AMP bedstep I had on my Ram. I will buy one soon for my Ford. It can be used with the tailgate up or down, or with a trailer hooked up. It can be deployed or put up with your hands full too...just a flick of your foot.
I briefly looked at one of those tailgate ladders...but one would not work for my uses...

Old 12-28-2018, 06:28 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
I loved the AMP bedstep I had on my Ram. I will buy one soon for my Ford. It can be used with the tailgate up or down, or with a trailer hooked up. It can be deployed or put up with your hands full too...just a flick of your foot.
I briefly looked at one of those tailgate ladders...but one would not work for my uses...
Another vote for the AMP, but the OP is happy with his new setup so that's what matters. On my 2016 F250 I had a TrekStep by Bestop. Same quality as the AMP in my opinion and about $75 cheaper. But last I knew they hadn't gotten around to making a model for the new body F250. Too bad.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:30 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Screamingbear
The ladder looks good, however you need to be very careful to avoid bimetal corrosion when attaching anything to aluminum body panels. The screws need to be separated with a non conductive washer. There are many threads on this subject, I suggest you search for this, and follow the Ford guidelines regarding fasteners.
How about that IDEAL brand 'goop' that is used in wire nuts when connecting copper and aluminum wire, or does that work exclusively with COPPER and aluminum...just a thought, maybe somebody reading this is familiar with the chemistry of it all...

Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edjunior
Chevy people used to call it a "Man Step". They didn't need no stinkin' "Man Step". Though they now have incorporated a "Man Step" into their trucks. Dunno about Dodge. Sorry, RAM. Anyway, Ford has for a few years had a very good "Man Step" available for their trucks. I sure wish I would have gotten one for this truck. Since it sits so much higher than my '11 did, partly due to the 4X4, partly due to the camper package, and partly just because Ford built them higher, I needed a "Old Man Step". There, I have officially renamed it. My search brought me to this: Traxion Tailgate Ladder. I read the reviews, and ended up buying it. There are some negative reviews, mostly due to premature rust areas, and weak screws for the base plate. But overall it looked good. So I installed it today. Super easy installation. It took about 30 minutes. And so far, I like it. It's a little clumsy under my carport, but once out in the open, it does what it;s supposed to. It's a fairly clean setup and storage, and easily removable with a couple of quick disconnect pins. I will probably replace the storage strap with something better, and the little 2X2 piece of wood you see is my grab handle. I will find something better for that also. But for now, it works. For $49.00, I highly recommend.

The base plate is secured with sheet metal screws. I went to Home Depot and bought some self-tapping sheet metal screws with the hex head instead of philips head screws. It may or may not have been necessary, but it makes me feel better.

Here it is stored and strapped in. It's not in this pic, but I also have my "grab handle" (2X2 piece of wood for now) strapped in there. I was able to use two existing screws on the tailgate for the strap. Which is good...I hate drilling into a new truck!

Here's a picture with my "grab handle" in place. It actually works pretty good, but does look kinda redneck. It'll do until I find something better and neater.

And oh yeah...I got my hitch rails installed. Now to get it over to the camper and see what kind of height adjustments I need to make. Then a trip...a trip...we need to make a trip!

Be SUPER CAREFUL not to trip on your tailgate support cable...wrap something bright around the cable (like flagging tape) and secure it with trimmed zip ties as a reminder that it is there...catching your foot on that and falling head first to the ground would be CATASTROPHIC !

Old 12-28-2018, 09:12 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Screamingbear
I will definitely look into this more. Does the bedliner (spray-in) work any as a non-conducive element? I will look for non-conductive washers still. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:14 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by delorenzomp
Be SUPER CAREFUL not to trip on your tailgate support cable...wrap something bright around the cable (like flagging tape) and secure it with trimmed zip ties as a reminder that it is there...catching your foot on that and falling head first to the ground would be CATASTROPHIC !
Yep...I am aware of the cable. It was one of the things I did not like about this type of ladder. But thanks for the reminder and tip.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:17 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
I did look at the Amp step. And may still if this one does not work out in the long run. But that price...whiew!!

Old 12-28-2018, 04:48 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,703 Likes on 1,316 Posts
Originally Posted by edjunior
I did look at the Amp step. And may still if this one does not work out in the long run. But that price...whiew!!
Yes, they are a bit spendy. I waited for a good sale to come around when I got mine. And even then, in my mind, if I put $0.50 in a jar every time I used it, I could pay for it in a year or so.
I don't put a lot of expensive items on my truck like most here (leveling kit/lift, shocks, tonneau covers, wheels, LED lights/headlights, etc.) ...so I figure I can get away with this one accessory

Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
I wonder how much the parts are to add the factory step to trucks without it. I assume all the tailgates are fitted for it. It’s really worth its weight in gold to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tailgate Ladder