2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Anyone else have problems with motorcraft filters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:26 AM
advocate
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else have problems with motorcraft filters?

Since 2010 there has been an onslaught of posts of oil filter failures. Most of them are purolator or motorcraft ones it seems, but now we are seeing some wix filters have the same issues. A tear at the pleats inside the filter. The thing in common - they are both owned by Mann and Hummel. Purolator makes the motorcraft ones. Sad really cause motorcraft used to be the go to filter. Now a days their quality is just not up to par. Here is some links to problems reported with the same filters we use on the 13th gen.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4531661/5

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4906092/found-a-defective-fl-500s-images#Post4906092

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0l-oil-filter-failure-271294/

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4374902/1

Here is a few websites outlining the issues with motorcraft oil filters.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:34 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Had not heard that, I've been only running Mobil 1 filters for the past several years though. Used to use Purolator regularly.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:08 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I've read and heard, but continue to use Motorcraft filters on all my Fords since forever. I did have a filter blow at the seams in 2008 though.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:28 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you the same “advocate” as the one on BITOG? For what it’s worth, I’m the same onug...

The Oil and Lubriation section of the forum is pretty quiet and the Purolator-related oil filter failures has not been a discussion topic here. I posted about my failure in the O&L section last January, but I haven’t seen any other discussions.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:44 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by advocate
Since 2010 there has been an onslaught of posts of oil filter failures. Most of them are purolator or motorcraft ones it seems, but now we are seeing some wix filters have the same issues. A tear at the pleats inside the filter. The thing in common - they are both owned by Mann and Hummel. Purolator makes the motorcraft ones. Sad really cause motorcraft used to be the go to filter. Now a days their quality is just not up to par. Here is some links to problems reported with the same filters we use on the 13th gen.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...pics/4531661/5

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...es#Post4906092

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0l-o...ailure-271294/

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...pics/4374902/1

Here is a few websites outlining the issues with motorcraft oil filters.

There can be a few bad apples in any manufacturing lot regardless of the brand.

With that being said, i`m a Ford man and i`ve never had a problem with a Motorcraft Filter and that`s all i`ve ever used since I purchased my Mustang GT back in 1989.

If all of us would take any and all bad car product reviews to heart, we`ll either be walking or riding a bicycle.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:32 PM
advocate
Senior User
Originally Posted by onug
Are you the same “advocate” as the one on BITOG? For what it’s worth, I’m the same onug...

The Oil and Lubriation section of the forum is pretty quiet and the Purolator-related oil filter failures has not been a discussion topic here. I posted about my failure in the O&L section last January, but I haven’t seen any other discussions.

yep that’s me on bitog. Nice to meet you! I’ll have to look up your failure. Do you have a link? I can’t belibe that people are still using these after all the failure reports. Ford has to know... I wish they would drop purolator and pick up someone else as the maker for the beloved motorcraft brand.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:10 PM
onug
Postmaster
I started a thread down in the Oil and Lube section and then updated it with my failure. Around the Jan ‘18 timeframe.

Who knows if Ford knows or doesn’t know (or cares/doesn’t care) about the Purolator problem. With the million of filters they make every year of each model, maybe this is within their quality tolerances. There are a few Purolator brands that appear to have much higher failure rates (than the Motorcraft branded filters) given all the posts on BITOG. But if we’re honest, it’s still such a small sample size the actual failure rate is unknown. The guys that cut open their filters is a small group on BITOG, which is already a small forum, in a corner of the internet. Kind of the 1% of the 1%’ers.

I did an oil analysis on the oil that came from the cycle with the failed filter. It didn’t show any differences to the half dozen other reports I’ve done. So while I don’t use MC filters anymore because of the failures (of the four I’ve cut open, one failed), it’s more of a “I’m not paying for that poor quality” protest. I’d use one in a pinch if needed for one cycle.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:18 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by advocate

yep that’s me on bitog. Nice to meet you! I’ll have to look up your failure. Do you have a link? I can’t belibe that people are still using these after all the failure reports. Ford has to know... I wish they would drop purolator and pick up someone else as the maker for the beloved motorcraft brand.
I wish they would sell the factory Champion filters as Motorcraft. The filters they use on the production line are a much nicer filter overall. Pretty sure they are the same filter that Champion sells as Mobil 1 filters.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:16 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
After avoiding Fram for years, I’ve come back around to using them again. This one in particular

https://www.fram.com/products/consum...ic-oil-filter/

Excellent filter, perhaps the best currently on the market. Bargain priced at Walmart.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:16 AM
McObra
Cross-Country
I've used Motorcraft oil filters for the past 20 year and never had a failure.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:08 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
This could really be a double edged sword for a person who is still within warranty be it original factory or ESP.

Several Ford techs and service advisers have told me that in the event of an engine failure related to oil, they look for frequency of oil changes and the type of filter used to determine your warranty status.

TBH, before becoming a member of FTE, I never used anything but Fram filters and never had an issue. The Fram PH8A was used in all F-series gasoline trucks from 1980-1996. Fram likely made billions of these filters and I've never heard of nor had one issue over several hundred thousand miles in three 80's era trucks.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:25 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
Had not heard that, I've been only running Mobil 1 filters for the past several years though. Used to use Purolator regularly.
I had a defective Mobil1 filter on my Grand National last summer. I noticed a faint knocking noise on cold starts for a couple weeks after an oil change. Somehow I had this brain storm that the anti-drain back valve may be bad. I swapped the filter and the noise was gone. I checked the Mobil1 filter and the anti-drain back valve was bad. It was probably a rare occurrence but I guess every manufacturer produces a dud now and then.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:45 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JKBrad
After avoiding Fram for years, I’ve come back around to using them again. This one in particular

https://www.fram.com/products/consum...ic-oil-filter/

Excellent filter, perhaps the best currently on the market. Bargain priced at Walmart.
I didn't even know Fram had a synthetic filter, what's what one run at wally world?

Old 12-28-2018, 06:52 AM
advocate
Senior User
I’ve moved away from motorcraft with all the failures I’ve seen. Now I only use Fram. I used to hate them but they have came a long way. Especially with the Ultra line. Best filter money can buy at 99+% efficiency at 20 microns. They even rate it at 80% at 5 microns... nothing compares for the price. And they stand behind their filters. I’ve seen them step up for people who have got a bad apple of a filter (it’s bound to happen). They are in racing and active on some forums and on YouTube. I appreciate that. So I use them with confidence. I would be worried to use a motorcraft for a full interval as indicated by the oil life monitor.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:14 AM
advocate
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
This could really be a double edged sword for a person who is still within warranty be it original factory or ESP.

Several Ford techs and service advisers have told me that in the event of an engine failure related to oil, they look for frequency of oil changes and the type of filter used to determine your warranty status.

TBH, before becoming a member of FTE, I never used anything but Fram filters and never had an issue. The Fram PH8A was used in all F-series gasoline trucks from 1980-1996. Fram likely made billions of these filters and I've never heard of nor had one issue over several hundred thousand miles in three 80's era trucks.
I have some friends who have always used Fram. They dads always used Fram too... never a failure. I used to make fun of them for using orange cans of death. But now I’ve joined them... it’s a better filter.

I have also heard of the threats from dealers. Fact of the matter is that they have to prove that the oil filter caused the issue. Which is very unlikely. And if it is the case then that manufacturer should step up to make it right. I have no fears in using a better filter. One dealer said that as long as you use a good filter you are fine with ford. If it has a silicone anti drain back valve, a bypass valve and is the correct model for your truck you have nothing to worry about. And all the filter that we would use have those things.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have problems with motorcraft filters?