Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:36 PM
Pigpendirtface1021
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny questions

Got a 1985 6.9 and my clutch went one of the springs came off randomly and start scraping inside the bellhousing so I got all torn apart and I have a spare I believe 87 351 with the 5-speed my question is will that work on the diesel been doing research and I'm almost thinking not because the bellhousing is attached to the tranny on the 5-speed? But would like to know what would be best in the long run because four-speed definitely needs to be overhauled it's leaking out of the seals and another question I have is where the input shaft goes into the engine there's a little bit of grinded up metal in the hole I looked at the input shaft it looks even in fine and looked inside the hole and couldn't really see much but little bit of metal shards for sure if I have to stick with a 4-speed then if I could get pointed in the right direction for best clutch for a truck that pulls a lot I also got a for speed that I think came off maybe 302 or 351 about the same year it's standard but not sure if I should even try it it's been sitting outside couple of years I put a cap on where the shifter goes as it had been taken off leaving the hole in the top and I'm thinking the weather isn't good for it at all but was wondering if it's still good to use?

Old 12-27-2018, 05:48 AM
Dieselamour
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Pigpendirtface1021
Got a 1985 6.9 and my clutch went one of the springs came off randomly and start scraping inside the bellhousing so I got all torn apart and I have a spare I believe 87 351 with the 5-speed my question is will that work on the diesel been doing research and I'm almost thinking not because the bellhousing is attached to the tranny on the 5-speed? But would like to know what would be best in the long run because four-speed definitely needs to be overhauled it's leaking out of the seals and another question I have is where the input shaft goes into the engine there's a little bit of grinded up metal in the hole I looked at the input shaft it looks even in fine and looked inside the hole and couldn't really see much but little bit of metal shards for sure if I have to stick with a 4-speed then if I could get pointed in the right direction for best clutch for a truck that pulls a lot I also got a for speed that I think came off maybe 302 or 351 about the same year it's standard but not sure if I should even try it it's been sitting outside couple of years I put a cap on where the shifter goes as it had been taken off leaving the hole in the top and I'm thinking the weather isn't good for it at all but was wondering if it's still good to use?
If I understand you correctly, you have metal filings and dust at the pilot bearing area of the input shaft. This is normal for your groundspring situation or any kind of clutch wear my produce a metallic dust at the pilot bearing. The only purpose of pilot bearing serves is to support and line up the transmission input shaft and the clutch at the pressure plate area. Pilot bearings do wear when the input shaft is turning at a different rpm than the engine, with the clutch dissengaged from the flywheel and pressure plate, and when you dissengage the clutch from the pressureplate with the transmission in gear at a stop light. That is why I put the trans in neutral and take my foot off the clutch at a stop. The pilot bearing/bushing is usually easy to replace.
Water in the trans will fall to the bottom, so it all depends on how much the bearings are bathed for how long in oil.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:27 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
the short answer to your question is no. gas 5 transmission will not work on a diesel engine. you will need a diesel 5 speed.
i don't think gas clutch will work on a diesel engine either.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:15 PM
skuzzybucket
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Nothing on the gas trans , clutch, etc will work
The only ZF is on the 6 cyl, and it won't bolt up, PLUS the clutch concentric is inside the trans bellhousing. The diesel is done with a fork on the throw out bearing, and external concentric

All other gas 5 spd transmissions are mo5's made by mitsubusi, and even if they did bolt up, would disintegrate the first time you let the clutch out hard, PLUS they als have an internal concentric

Old 12-30-2018, 01:58 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They did have 351w zf's but they were the same style as the inline 6's regarding slave cylinder position. The inline 6's were the ones with the Mitsubishi trans iirc.

That being said the only way that gas clutch will work is if it uses a 6 bolt pressure plate pattern (6.9/t19) vs the later 8 bolt style (7.3 and up) and if the input shaft is 1 1/16 (t19 size) vs 1 1/8 (diesel/460 input shaft size)

The best thing to do would be go to a private owned napa or other mom and pop shop that KNOWS HOW TO USE A BOOK and order just a disc to get you by in a pinch. (30-60$)

100$ will get you a whole cheapo clutch kit. Luk used to be good but there pressure plates are as bad as the rest and normally fail before the disc as long as you don't ride the clutch..