tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Old 12-26-2018, 08:25 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Interesting find, Tim.
I've always questioned anything that comes out of sites like this, but it seems logical to me. With the next-generation Silverado and Ram, it would make sense to see a new F150 next year as well. Compared to the other two, the F150 is getting a little bit dated despite the groundbreaking aluminum body that is still superior in most ways to the competition. It takes more than turbochargers and aluminum to compete in this cutthroat pickup market.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:43 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Very Interesting.

I can see Ford talking about the new F150 at the Detroit Auto Show and maybe even having a concept vehicle but as far as it being released in the Summer of 2019, I really don`t see that happening unless it`s just another subtle face lift like the 2017 and up F150`s. The new Bronco and GT500 will be the stars so in my opinion, a "new" F150 will and should debut at the 2020 Detroit Auto Show

Old 12-26-2018, 09:33 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford has always played the Media better than the other OEMs. They really know how to slowly feed details out to us in a way that keeps them near the top of any automotive website. Their stock price has also tanked this year, so a investor and media surprise peek is exactly in line with their normal operating procedures.

I will say this... given some of the quality issues we’ve been discussing lately here on the forum, I’m nervous of Ford pulling these releases forward. My experiences with rushed products has never been good.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
The F-Series still sold better than the RAM for the 2018 year even though RAM is all-new.

If Ford really does come out with an all-new model, I'll have to get it then give my old F-150 to one of the managers.

I can't think of what Ford can improve on. I don't want a big screen replacing the *****. Ten years ago, BMW came with the iDrive in the 740d and I drove that in Germany, it was horrible. Whenever I wanted to do something, I always had to use the big ****. No touch screen.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:57 AM
doyall
Mountain Pass
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Even though only 20 days old, the AutoSpies article is kind of dated information-wise. Later opining/reporting on other blogs is suggesting to me that the next generation F-150 is all about a hybrid powertrain. Probably some facelifting, interior and tech updates will accompany the hybrid, but that is what I bet on the "big" change to be.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:13 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Detroit is about the new Explorer , New York for the F150 , Texas for the refreshed Superduty and LA for the GT500.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:54 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

IMHO, the next generation F150 really needs an air suspension!! Of course the interior will get a makeover and if FORD goes with a generator option (like the new RAM)...that might be nice too.

biz

Old 01-02-2019, 06:12 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Wiggums
The F-Series still sold better than the RAM for the 2018 year even though RAM is all-new.

If Ford really does come out with an all-new model, I'll have to get it then give my old F-150 to one of the managers.

I can't think of what Ford can improve on. I don't want a big screen replacing the *****. Ten years ago, BMW came with the iDrive in the 740d and I drove that in Germany, it was horrible. Whenever I wanted to do something, I always had to use the big ****. No touch screen.
F series is still a great truck. They have led inovation on powertrain, and Aluminum structures for last 8 years. Ram did just offer the best interior and in my opinion class leading half ton on the market. Im confident the new F150 will be awesome....think hybrid option...or maybe a BEV?

Old 01-02-2019, 08:11 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by barry1me
F series is still a great truck. They have led inovation on powertrain, and Aluminum structures for last 8 years. Ram did just offer the best interior and in my opinion class leading half ton on the market. Im confident the new F150 will be awesome....think hybrid option...or maybe a BEV?
A BEV might still be a ways off. More than I would expect in the next year or even two. Beyond that all bets are off. A hybrid of some kind and/or an improved suspension would be my best guess.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:01 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
A BEV might still be a ways off. More than I would expect in the next year or even two. Beyond that all bets are off. A hybrid of some kind and/or an improved suspension would be my best guess.
BEV is close. Trust me. Its going to blow peoples minds.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Make no mistake about it. Ram finally did what GM should have done for years, but just can't seem to get their heads out if their #%*$&@. Ram had eight years of design done for them by Ford, and really only needed to make slight improvements to make a difference. GM has had 40 years, and still can't get with it. They really try too hard with designs and options that are way out in left field - trying to blow Ford out of the water, and then grab a measly 10% of FM loyalists.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:38 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
After reading some articles about the plummeting cost of Li-Ion battery packs, I'm convinced electric vehicles are the future. I imagine trucks will take the form of plug-in hybrids that can still perform with an efficiently-tuned gas engine because it takes a lot of energy to pull trailers over distance. I think this is awesome...and if current trends hold there will still be a conventional powertrain to satisfy those who prefer tried-and-true technology for years to come.

I test drove a Model 3 a few weeks ago, and anyone who thinks electric powertrains must be boring have never driven one.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:53 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
After reading some articles about the plummeting cost of Li-Ion battery packs, I'm convinced electric vehicles are the future. I imagine trucks will take the form of plug-in hybrids that can still perform with an efficiently-tuned gas engine because it takes a lot of energy to pull trailers over distance. I think this is awesome...and if current trends hold there will still be a conventional powertrain to satisfy those who prefer tried-and-true technology for years to come.

I test drove a Model 3 a few weeks ago, and anyone who thinks electric powertrains must be boring have never driven one.
All one has to do is pick up a Traxxas RC vehicle to see how fun electric powertrains can be. 100% torque at any rpm. I had one that no matter what, you could not run the thing WOT. It would flip over no matter how careful you were.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:52 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Several years ago, we did an install for a guy that had one of the original Tesla Roadsters. Little 2-seater; Lotus body/frame. Hard to describe the acceleration. Best way I can describe it was like the feeling you get riding the right seat of the Millennium Falcon when going into warp drive.

Quick Reply: Small article on the 2020 F-150