Sponsored by: DP Tuner

shimming the injectors 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 12:49 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
With your guidance and inspiration, I think that when my injectors start causing me problems I will probably just shim them. Who knows, I might get 500,000 miles or more out of them which is a huge cost savings.

Great job and thanks for taking lots of pictures and explaining everything you were doing.
I wish i would had taken pictures. but this was the first time doing something like this and was totally focused on what i was doing.
I have worked on gas cars most of my life. injectors and turbos intimidated me. Not no more !

Old 12-30-2018, 02:16 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I would be curious as to how much the "cold start mod" actually does. I started pretty easily in 5* this week and had no problems. Only had to let the glow plugs warm for 15 seconds.

I would venture to say the new glow plugs and shimming the injectors made the most difference.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:30 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
I have found when starting in cold, 40s or below, to turn key on, watch light and when light goes out i wait about 3 second more and then crank and it fires right up.. could that mean my glow plugs are getting old? I have the shim kit as well but don't see the need to use it thus far. do get good cold starts the few time a year I do cold starts..

Old 12-30-2018, 05:19 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I believe the glow plugs stay on for about a minute after the WTS light goes out. On California models with the Glow Plug Control Module the PCM will keep individual glow plugs on as necessary.

Rebuilt the injectors in my truck and shimmed them as well. Truck will start on 15 degree mornings as soon as the WTS light goes off.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:04 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Very encouraging to read your path of progress. I, too, have been letting a package of shims and new o-rings sit on the shelf for about 2 years, and need to just bite the bullet and get this done. My injectors have about 302K miles on them now, so this will be their first time out of the engine (to do the o-rings). I'm still debating doing the cups at the same time, but I've just about convinced myself to leave the cups alone on this dig inside and just do a good inspection and if they need replacing, do them at a later time as a separate effort.

Having heard your success, I'm tempted to just do the shims in the truck and even let the o-rings sit a while longer. Don't know.... gotta think on that one over a bit more!

Glad your efforts have paid off for you!

Old 01-01-2019, 01:48 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jimjokjv
I believe the glow plugs stay on for about a minute after the WTS light goes out. On California models with the Glow Plug Control Module the PCM will keep individual glow plugs on as necessary.

Rebuilt the injectors in my truck and shimmed them as well. Truck will start on 15 degree mornings as soon as the WTS light goes off.
My truck was from Texas originally. i don"t have a GPM

Been in the low 40's every morning this week and it's been starting right up.
The wife drove the truck and said it runs much better

Old 01-01-2019, 07:43 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sand_fiend
. . . The wife drove the truck and said it runs much better
Well there you have it - success!

Old 01-01-2019, 08:16 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
As others mentioned, Fiend..1 thread that i enjoyed reading and pulling for ya, in your journey..

Old 01-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,471 Likes on 2,856 Posts
I found this video today while getting my woken up on and zombie watching YouTube...

It isn't too bad with the BSing around, but shows what sand_fiend accomplished for the most part.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sous
I found this video today while getting my woken up on and zombie watching YouTube...

It isn't too bad with the BSing around, but shows what sand_fiend accomplished for the most part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzZPH8E20gQ
Yes i watched that video before i got in to it. that is why i said i doubled and triple checked all the plugs. he missed plugging in #8. one thing i noticed is that he did not drill the spacers ? or at least didn't show it. he had them out.
the trapped oil in the armature area inside the spacer will not drain out the small factory holes in the spacer when the oil is that cold. this is why the instructions say to drill them out.
my motor was about 60+ degrees and 4 of my spacers were full to the top when i took the armatures off .
the newer factory injectors now come with the bigger valley groove in them to drain the oil and not the small hole.
he didn't show that the armature shim go's under the armature plate. not on the top just to be clear.
My truck has been starting in 40 to 45 degree mornings for the last week on the first try.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:24 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
My truck is a daily driver and has never hauled a load... so its babied, except when I go out in the National Forest.

Original injectors.... have only replaced the o-rings and shimmed the armature plates.

When we do get cold weather here in Georgia, I park the truck out in the cold, just so I'll know IF its going to have a cold start issue. Better to catch a problem at home than out in the mountains on a lonely backroad to nowhere.

You did a lot to truck at one time... I'd be scared I'd forget something and it wouldn't start.... and I'd not know what I didn't put back correctly. You did good !

Oh... and I'd never let the spouse drive my truck.... she'd probably never let me have it back !

Old 01-07-2019, 09:58 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Smile

Originally Posted by MoBill122
My truck is a daily driver and has never hauled a load... so its babied, except when I go out in the National Forest.

Original injectors.... have only replaced the o-rings and shimmed the armature plates.

When we do get cold weather here in Georgia, I park the truck out in the cold, just so I'll know IF its going to have a cold start issue. Better to catch a problem at home than out in the mountains on a lonely backroad to nowhere.

You did a lot to truck at one time... I'd be scared I'd forget something and it wouldn't start.... and I'd not know what I didn't put back correctly. You did good !

Oh... and I'd never let the spouse drive my truck.... she'd probably never let me have it back !
She actually drove it more than me for the last year and a half.
she really liked and has been looking at the 2017 Camry SC. her old Hyundai was on it's last leg.
when the 2018 came out, she fell in love with the new look. So two months ago i bought her a new car. I got my truck back..

Old 01-08-2019, 06:19 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
I noticed that as well.. a lot of the nitty gritty, removing the shim screw, installing the shim etc. was MISSING.. but let show taking the fricken valve cover off. I appreciate these guys doing the videos but man show what everyone is wanting to see.. that is what i loved about diesel Ron (RIP) videos.. he showed all the steps to do the repair. I have that kit but have not read all the info so was not aware of drilling the holes out..

Originally Posted by sand_fiend
Yes i watched that video before i got in to it. that is why i said i doubled and triple checked all the plugs. he missed plugging in #8. one thing i noticed is that he did not drill the spacers ? or at least didn't show it. he had them out.
the trapped oil in the armature area inside the spacer will not drain out the small factory holes in the spacer when the oil is that cold. this is why the instructions say to drill them out.
my motor was about 60+ degrees and 4 of my spacers were full to the top when i took the armatures off .
the newer factory injectors now come with the bigger valley groove in them to drain the oil and not the small hole.
he didn't show that the armature shim go's under the armature plate. not on the top just to be clear.
My truck has been starting in 40 to 45 degree mornings for the last week on the first try.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:37 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
UPDATE

First real trip in the truck this weekend.
I actually had to go over the grapevine. truck ran better than it has in a long time and seemed to run smoother than i remember.

I didn't have to get in to the throttle to climb the hill.
it did 80 mph up the hill at about 8 bls of boost at about 1/3rd throttle and it never had to down shift in my 80 Hp tune.
I had my dirt bike and gear in the back.

I believe i also picked up about 2 MPG. it normally takes a little more than a half tank to round trip it.
it did it this time just under half.

I guess my truck was running worse than i though.
Over time, I must have gotten use to the way it was running before.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I appreciate the follow up, that sound great.

Quick Reply: shimming the injectors 7.3