Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Fuel tank needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 08:58 PM
WE3ZS
Received 923 Likes on 622 Posts
Originally Posted by Berndude
Thank you!! I did finally get a hold of someone from RAD-Rides that was around when the truck was built, but he wasn't able to really give me any insight as he was not directly involved in the bill. The truck was built off of an F250 Super Duty Platinum,156" wheelbase. It shows the stock tank for that truck in 2016 with Diesel engine is actually 26 Gallon I do have the window sticker. that shows the wheelbase and the brochure that shows the tank sizes. When it is full the gauge reads slightly to the left of the Full Line.

They think that maybe they used the sending unit from the original truck which adds to the list of possibilities

Possible Problems
  • Tank is not a 44 Gallon tank
  • Original Sending unit for 26 Gallon tank is being used and is too short for the 44 Gallon Tank
  • Existing unit not scaled for a 44 Gallon Tank
  • Bad Sending unit altogether
  • Problem with filler Neck
I have had this truck for 4 years now as bought January 2017 New. and the inconsistency of the gas gauge, the DTE and the Trip section fuel used have alweays been an issue but have lived with it.

If anyone else can think of anything i need to add to that llist to check please let me know. I appreciate the help from people her on this forum!!
Well, you can scratch the first bullet point off the list, it is definitely an original EX 44 gallon fuel tank.
The pictures in the linked thread also show that it has an original, unique to the EX receiver hitch (with the SD 4/7 pin electrical plug), so that confirms that it's an EX frame under the rear of your EX conversion.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:08 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Well, you can scratch the first bullet point off the list, it is definitely an original EX 44 gallon fuel tank.
The pictures in the linked thread also show that it has an original, unique to the EX receiver hitch (with the SD 4/7 pin electrical plug), so that confirms that it's an EX frame under the rear of your EX conversion.
That's Fantastic to know!!! and very helpful!!
I am really hoping it is!! **** I cant believe all the time i have wasted during stops!!
No the issue is going to be to get it to work correctly with the 2016 system! but i may also be lucky and it has the correct unit just again miss scaled!
By the way which pictures are you talking about? Pictures i have linked here?

Old 07-23-2021, 05:10 AM
WE3ZS
Originally Posted by Berndude
That's Fantastic to know!!! and very helpful!!
I am really hoping it is!! **** I cant believe all the time i have wasted during stops!!
No the issue is going to be to get it to work correctly with the 2016 system! but i may also be lucky and it has the correct unit just again miss scaled!
By the way which pictures are you talking about? Pictures i have linked here?
I'm talking about the pictures that you posted here of the conversion EX back in February 2017, taken at the time of delivery while still on the flatbed. They are in the thread that I linked to above (that you quoted ). Here it is again. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...onversion.html

The following 2 users liked this post by WE3ZS:
Old 07-23-2021, 08:02 AM
Berndude
Senior User
Thank you very much! I forgot I posted that it has been so long!

Old 07-24-2021, 03:11 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts
Could always put side tanks on it, Heavy Haul style, lol JK

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-24-2021, 04:23 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Now thats a truck!!!
Do you tow a lot with that?

Old 07-24-2021, 10:57 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts
Its not mine, i found that on google, but there are a ton of those conversions in existence, I have seen them with F-550, F-650, and F-750s, seen a couple in person too, there is a 6 door one over in town, dont know the owner but seen it numerous times.

Mine is the one in my signature, Click on the word DAUNTLESS which is red.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:57 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Originally Posted by MasterX
Its not mine, i found that on google, but there are a ton of those conversions in existence, I have seen them with F-550, F-650, and F-750s, seen a couple in person too, there is a 6 door one over in town, dont know the owner but seen it numerous times.

Mine is the one in my signature, Click on the word DAUNTLESS which is red.
Thanks!!
i clicked on the link, you have been in a very involved project here! Love the look of you Excursion, my other was a 2002 7.3.
Thanks you also for your service to our country!

Sincerely
Bernie

Old 07-29-2021, 01:44 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Fuel tank dropped but not completely out! I believe it is a 44 gallon tank as a lot of you guys have been very helpful in pointing it out! gauge read about 60 miles to empty but tank fill about half full still. any commnets would be appreciated

​​​​​​​

Old 07-30-2021, 05:00 PM
Berndude
Senior User
There seems to be a difference in the fuel sending units between the 00-2003 please see the 2 part numbers below and if any one knows the difference, please let me know. both come up as for 00-03
XC3Z-9275-A
CYC3Z-9275-AA
Looking to find one in stock that will work for my truck

Old 07-30-2021, 05:27 PM
SteveZ
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If there is a part number on the sending unit you could check to see which vehicle the sending unit came from. I am wondering if they used the sending unit from the trucks 26 gallon tank in the 44 gallon excursion tank.
you may be able to measure the sending unit you have versus the depth of the tank to help figure it out.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:33 PM
WE3ZS
I'm thinking that your whole issue is the '16 dashboard isn't playing well with the vintage factory EX tank sending unit. The sending units are resistance based sensors, if the dash fuel gauge is designed to see a different resistance range than the earlier EX sender the reading will be off. Maybe check the factory service manuals for each year and compare what the readings should be for each one.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:35 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteveZ
If there is a part number on the sending unit you could check to see which vehicle the sending unit came from. I am wondering if they used the sending unit from the trucks 26 gallon tank in the 44 gallon excursion tank.
you may be able to measure the sending unit you have versus the depth of the tank to help figure it out.
The issue is I have an Excursion conversion and we had been under the impression it had a 30 gallon tank, it has always been an issue, so I had the tank dropped and they used the sending unit from a 30 gallon tank that was originally on the truck from the 2016 F250 they used.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:39 PM
Berndude
Senior User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I'm thinking that your whole issue is the '16 dashboard isn't playing well with the vintage factory EX tank sending unit. The sending units are resistance based sensors, if the dash fuel gauge is designed to see a different resistance range than the earlier EX sender the reading will be off. Maybe check the factory service manuals for each year and compare what the readings should be for each one.

We found out the sending unit and the Pick up is from a 30 Gallon 2016 F250 tank so it had never been correct. I need a factory sending unit from an Excursion and then hopefully it will work

Old 07-30-2021, 05:49 PM
Berndude
Senior User

This is what I have

Quick Reply: Custom Fuel tank needed