Notices
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problem or flywheel?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:03 PM
kameronth
Posting Guru
kameronth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Starter problem or flywheel?

Randomly my starter from time to time does not fully engage and just about gives me a heart attack because of the scream it will make. I do realize that a starter that does not fully engage can damage the flywheel.

So my questions are: Do you think just replacing my starter will stop the random engaging issue or is that damage bad enough on my flywheel that even with a new starter it will have problems engaging. Iíd rather not replace my flywheel if I donít have to.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:06 PM
kameronth
Posting Guru

This is the only damage I found.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:59 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
you need to change that flywheel, or at a minimum take a file to it and smooth those teeth out before putting a new starter in.
otherwise, the bad teeth will only destroy the new starter gear in a very short time.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:27 PM
paddler
Senior User
paddler is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's not going to get better. Engine compression tends to stop the engine in just a few orientations of starter-to-flywheel, so the starter is trying to engage the same damaged spots on the flywheel. Been there, ended up leaving the inspection cover off and carrying a prybar to shift the flywheel a couple of teeth either way until I could get the flywheel replaced.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:49 PM
BuddyBarnes
Senior User
BuddyBarnes is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by paddler View Post
It's not going to get better. Engine compression tends to stop the engine in just a few orientations of starter-to-flywheel, so the starter is trying to engage the same damaged spots on the flywheel. Been there, ended up leaving the inspection cover off and carrying a prybar to shift the flywheel a couple of teeth either way until I could get the flywheel replaced.
This is also my findings in the past.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:05 PM
kameronth
Posting Guru
Thanks for the replies. For now, Iím going to file off the burrs and replace the starter. Iíll wait until summer to replace the flywheel when itís not so cold.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:55 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
when you break out the file, you want the teeth as smooth as you can get them, and with as close a pitch to the other as you can get.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Bobcatbob
New User
Bobcatbob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your starter gear may be engaging to soon or is not extending out far enough when it starts to spin.
Had problems with aftermarket starters not being assembled correctly. Check the engagement overlap of the gear. Yours looks a little short.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
Jarrett Campbell is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dang dude that's the worst. When it gets around time to replace that flywheel, let me know. I have done a couple and could help out if you need it!

Old 12-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
to bad thats a flexplate andnot a manual, because on the manuals i usuallypull the ringteeth off and flip them to use the otherside. autos have it welded on the flexplate.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:13 PM
kameronth
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell View Post
Dang dude that's the worst. When it gets around time to replace that flywheel, let me know. I have done a couple and could help out if you need it!
Thanks Jarrett! Iím sure when it comes time Iíll need a hand and will let you know. Itís been an issue since I bought the truck but itís slowly starting to get worse. If push comes to shove Iíll replace it in my garage, itís just tight. Hopefully it can wait until summer.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:48 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
We could totally do it in your garage. The way I do it, the trans never even comes out from under the truck.

That's one of those things that you really don't want to happen while you're on the road though!! scary!

Old 12-19-2018, 03:19 PM
kameronth
Posting Guru
Once my knee is feeling better I'll get a hold of you to tackle that. It still has another couple months until it's back to normal but no more ridding the Walmart cart!

Old 12-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
Ha! Yeah I should have taken a picture because that's probably the first and last time you'll be caught in one of those!

Old 01-19-2019, 06:26 PM
kameronth
Posting Guru
One month update. I filed down the burrs on the flex plate and put in a new starter. Problem solved. No more screeching. Thanks all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: