Tailgate issues - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tailgate issues

Old 12-13-2018, 12:11 PM
claf
Jedi
claf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tailgate issues

This morning on my way to work my tailgate mysteriously opened and I lost a box of Christmas presents headed to UPS. I don't know if this is the same issue as previously reported (I don't recall complains of the tailgate opening from a moving vehicle) or something about the keyfob in my pocket. Regardless, I can't allow this to happen again.

Has anyone ever rigged up a mechanical lock for the tailgate? I'm thinking of running a butterfly anchor into the unused bed extender hole and roping that off to the boxlink anchor. Any other ideas?

Old 12-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by claf View Post
This morning on my way to work my tailgate mysteriously opened and I lost a box of Christmas presents headed to UPS. I don't know if this is the same issue as previously reported (I don't recall complains of the tailgate opening from a moving vehicle) or something about the keyfob in my pocket. Regardless, I can't allow this to happen again.

Has anyone ever rigged up a mechanical lock for the tailgate? I'm thinking of running a butterfly anchor into the unused bed extender hole and roping that off to the boxlink anchor. Any other ideas?
Do a search here and there's lots of complaints about it just opening on its own. Its a stupid feature. Some have tied it off, others have just unplugged the actuator so you can't accidently open it no matter what.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:23 PM
wicked 2018
Elder User
wicked 2018 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It shouldn't allow it to open while driving - via the key fob or panel button. So sounds like the mystery opening we've read on other threads. While anchoring it will stop it from happening, its a bummer if it cannot be fixed. That one time you forget to anchor it and you may lose stuff again or in my case the entire tailgate.

I am not sure if it happened to me or if someone was a good thief. Have a topper on my bed and my tailgate got stolen. No damage to vehicle or topper, so always left me wondering if it did a mystery drop and someone jumped at the opportunity.

For those wondering a platinum 350 tailgate with the ladder, camera and all the bells and whistles was written up for ~$5k to replace from my insurance company. The part number for the ladder alone was $980. Crazy.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Lost me beer
Junior User
Lost me beer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
Do a search here and there's lots of complaints about it just opening on its own. Its a stupid feature. Some have tied it off, others have just unplugged the actuator so you can't accidently open it no matter what.
Not a "stupid feature" at all, when it works correctly. Absolutely love it when hooking up my 5er. I can get close with the gate closed so I can use the camera to see. Then drop it and continue visually when close to the hitch. A very convenient feature.
For the record, mine works fine with 6k on the clock.
Troy

Old 12-13-2018, 02:22 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
delorenzomp is starting off with a positive reputation.
I took Tricon's comment as 'the ability to open it remotely' is the 'stupid feature', if so, Tricon, I agree...cameras can be had without that feature...

Old 12-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Lost me beer
Junior User
Again, I dissagree. Having the camera is not the issue. Being able to push the button and release the gate so it falls and I can continue without stopping is a big bonus. Having to stop, put in park, apply ebrake, get out, lower gate, get back in, put in R, release brake, and contue was fun years ago.
Troy

Old 12-13-2018, 03:05 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
delorenzomp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Lost me beer View Post
Again, I dissagree. Having the camera is not the issue. Being able to push the button and release the gate so it falls and I can continue without stopping is a big bonus. Having to stop, put in park, apply ebrake, get out, lower gate, get back in, put in R, release brake, and contue was fun years ago.
Troy
Sorry, I misunderstood, but I am good to get out and turn a key.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:25 PM
claf
Jedi
I guess I assumed the tailgate wouldn't drop remotely while the transmission is in drive, but hey if it's just going to be random anyway, why not.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:03 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.
There is no key unlock on my tailgate, atleast if there is I have never used it, so if you disconnect the actuator, your fubar'red for letting down the gate from the button on the gate? I am on my 3rd winter, 42,000 Km, never have I had a mysterious drop of the gate, I have hit the button, and reconsidered because the garage door was still down, but never unexplained. Like the doors, it would actually be really good to have a "door adjar" alarm on the dash so you know the gate went down. then you would know to at least look..... With my cover on the box, I cant see if the gate is down....

Old 12-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Mixerman90
Senior User
Mixerman90 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by claf View Post
I guess I assumed the tailgate wouldn't drop remotely while the transmission is in drive, but hey if it's just going to be random anyway, why not.
It's not whether or not the tailgate is allowed to drop when the truck is moving (you actually can't drop it with the doors locked either), it's a short caused by water in a wiring harness connector under the bed of the truck. Gremlins like that pay no attention to rules... The service bulletin for this problem is to replace the whole wiring harness. Mine is in the shop for just that procedure now.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:57 PM
Tricon
Postmaster
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Lost me beer View Post
Troy
Haha, first world problems.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Lost me beer
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
Haha, first world problems.
true statement! Remember when it was no big deal to go out and lock in?! Geez, I would have to put my latte down now.
Troy

Old 12-15-2018, 08:47 AM
Henry16414
New User
Henry16414 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thereíre several previous strings on this issue. Water is getting into the connector next to the spare tire. Unplugging the connector, letting it dry, and filling with dielectric grease fixed the problem. Havenít had this happen since doing that.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Mixerman90
Senior User
Mixerman90 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Mixerman90 View Post
It's not whether or not the tailgate is allowed to drop when the truck is moving (you actually can't drop it with the doors locked either), it's a short caused by water in a wiring harness connector under the bed of the truck. Gremlins like that pay no attention to rules... The service bulletin for this problem is to replace the whole wiring harness. Mine is in the shop for just that procedure now.
Going to pick it up now. They said they checked all the connectors and they were all tight and dry, so they couldn't replace the wiring harness under warranty. It's only happened about 4 times in 2 years so my issue must be something else... Racking my brain trying to figure out what might have been a common denominator each time it happened.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:21 PM
claf
Jedi
Well, here's how it's going to be until I can crawl under there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.