what headers work? darksider issues - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

what headers work? darksider issues

Old 12-09-2018, 07:06 PM
Gwilkrrs
Posting Guru
Gwilkrrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gwilkrrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
what headers work? darksider issues

I have a 51 F1 with a mustang 2 IFS frontend and a small block chevy and I am struggling with header fitment. I have the rack installed and the motor, I don't have the steering column installed tho (nor sourced or bought). I tried full length tubes and they wouldn't even fit in between the frame rails without modifications and then the collector is right where the shaft would have to come up. block hugger headers put the collector right behind the spline hub off the rack.....
I guessed I will need to do an offset intermediate shaft to get around this issue but really lost on where and what to use........

any thoughts/suggestions/pictures?

Old 12-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Gwilkrrs
Posting Guru
Gwilkrrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gwilkrrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
here is the long tube set- they dornt seat against the motor because the are pinched on the frame rail. the collector also is an issue but I was thinking about cutting the flange and shorthning the tubes but I don't think the steering will still clear

the flange isnt against the motor

Old 12-09-2018, 08:35 PM
drptop70ss
Posting Guru
drptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud of
Speedway fat fender car fenderwell headers worked great for me, no worries about clearance anywhere.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:56 PM
Drewski 2
Elder User
Drewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud ofDrewski 2 has much to be proud of
You might take a look at patriot headers.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:26 AM
ZFLASH
Senior User
ZFLASH has a good reputation on FTE.ZFLASH has a good reputation on FTE.

passenger side

used some steering knuckles to work around steering linkage

from the driver top side

plenty of room between frame,linkage and headers
L8R ZFLASH

Old 12-10-2018, 02:38 AM
burnettd01
Elder User
burnettd01 has a very good reputation on FTE.burnettd01 has a very good reputation on FTE.burnettd01 has a very good reputation on FTE.burnettd01 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I used Sanderson headers (shorty for early Chev C-10) and ujoints for the steering shaft to connect to my Jag IFS.
Worked for me.
Hope this helps.
Dan

Old 12-11-2018, 09:07 AM
54TexasF100
Senior User
54TexasF100 has a good reputation on FTE.54TexasF100 has a good reputation on FTE.54TexasF100 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by drptop70ss View Post
Speedway fat fender car fenderwell headers worked great for me, no worries about clearance anywhere.

Wonder if someone has them for SBF?

Old 12-12-2018, 06:26 PM
drptop70ss
Posting Guru
drptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 54TexasF100 View Post

Wonder if someone has them for SBF?
Cut the flanges off and weld on SBF flanges. Modify the tubes as needed to make the Ford flanges work.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:18 PM
ranger pat
Posting Guru
ranger pat has a very good reputation on FTE.ranger pat has a very good reputation on FTE.ranger pat has a very good reputation on FTE.
351W/C6 I used stainless tubular headers from a 92 Tbird 5.0L They tuck in close and exit down vertically beside the rear of each head. Pictures are in my album, but I am not smart enough to post them right now.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 PM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ranger pat View Post
351W/C6 I used stainless tubular headers from a 92 Tbird 5.0L They tuck in close and exit down vertically beside the rear of each head. Pictures are in my album, but I am not smart enough to post them right now.
could you post a part # or manufacture

Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 PM
EffieTrucker
Kentucky Chapter Member
EffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ranger pat View Post
This picture?

Old 12-13-2018, 08:49 AM
ranger pat
Posting Guru
ranger pat has a very good reputation on FTE.ranger pat has a very good reputation on FTE.ranger pat has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yes. I am using a Mac which does not have"properties" pop up with right click. Makes it harder to post.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker View Post
This picture?

so are they oem?

Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 AM
ranger pat
Posting Guru

Right side. Junk yard parts that I had powder coated and replaced the downstream studs.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:48 AM
ranger pat
Posting Guru
Yes. Junk yard parts that I sealed off the port for the HEGO, had powder coated and replaced the downstream studs with new ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.