Order without cab lights? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Order without cab lights?

Old 12-08-2018, 02:15 PM
FBO Cookie Monster
New User
FBO Cookie Monster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Order without cab lights?

So far, EVERY truck I have seen on the lots has the cab lights.
Since I will be ordering a truck, and the lights are ....meh..... and a potential place for a water leak, I am considering ordering without them.
Is there a reason or legality for ordering with them?
Thanks.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:27 PM
mattymax
Elder User
mattymax is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like them. Looked at many trucks before I made my decision but honestly I think it sets its apart from the F-150, regardless of the size. Its just a personal preference though.

I passed up a truck on the lot that had everything I wanted to the tee, but no cab lights and 360 camera. I ended up special ordering exactly how I wanted it.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:36 PM
screwy
Posting Guru
screwy has a good reputation on FTE.screwy has a good reputation on FTE.
I think they are required if you will be over 80" wide or 30' long.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:06 PM
FBO Cookie Monster
New User
FBO Cookie Monster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by screwy View Post
I think they are required if you will be over 80" wide or 30' long.
Welp, dang. Glad I asked. I was not expecting that, your response got me googling. Guess I should have started with that, but seriously glad I asked. https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...nge-lig-272501

Old 12-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Pucker
Freshman User
Pucker is starting off with a positive reputation.
These aren't 18-wheelers... cab lights are for looks. If you're on the fence, I'd recommending passing on them. Why take a perfectly good cab and cut several holes in it, and fill with often poor-fitting plastic housings? Also more to wash and wax around.

You'll see some discuss DOT regs, but bottom line, our trucks don't need them. Any trailer you pull that's of DOT-regulated size to require them, will (likely) have them already...think top corners, widest points at wheel well, etc. That's why Ford has them as an option.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:11 PM
mptjelgin
Senior User
mptjelgin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
So far, EVERY truck I have seen on the lots has the cab lights.
Since I will be ordering a truck, and the lights are ....meh..... and a potential place for a water leak, I am considering ordering without them.
Is there a reason or legality for ordering with them?
Thanks.
I've special ordered three Superduty trucks over the years (1999, 2010, 2019) and have never ordered the cab lights. I see no use for them and agree that they are just more roof penetrations for potential leaks.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:13 PM
jnphobe
Junior User
jnphobe is starting off with a positive reputation.
They are standard on duallys

Old 12-08-2018, 03:32 PM
Pucker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jnphobe View Post
They are standard on duallys
And a dually isn't legally able to tow a longer, wider, or taller trailer...so this strikes me as (legally) unnecessary, despite Ford checking the option box for all dually owners.

(I could be totally wrong, it has been known to happen ...but I'd need to see it in writing to believe it.)

Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 PM
screwy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
And a dually isn't legally able to tow a longer, wider, or taller trailer...so this strikes me as (legally) unnecessary, despite Ford checking the option box for all dually owners.

(I could be totally wrong, it has been known to happen ...but I'd need to see it in writing to believe it.)
DRW trucks are legally required to have them because they are 96" wide. SRW trucks are 80" so they are optional.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:55 PM
RandyinTN
Senior User
RandyinTN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can't stand them. I don't need a bunch of holes punched in the roof of any truck I will own. I passed on adding them when ordering my 2019 Lariat.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
I've ordered my trucks because I could never find SRW trucks on the lot with the cab lights. I like them.
My 2011 had 150,000 miles, My 2015 had almost 100,000 miles and my current 2017 has 36,000 miles
That's over quarter of a million miles with no leaks, no problems with my cab lights.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:08 PM
ExDakotaOwner
Pickup Trucker
ExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to beholdExDakotaOwner is a splendid one to behold
I like em. And will have them going forward on any truck.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Pucker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by screwy View Post
DRW trucks are legally required to have them because they are 96" wide. SRW trucks are 80" so they are optional.
What law is this? (please refer me....I've tried to find already, maybe my Google-Fu is weak. )

Old 12-08-2018, 05:49 PM
screwy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
What law is this? (please refer me....I've tried to find already, maybe my Google-Fu is weak. )
*Channels inner Google-Fu*

That would be CFR 2004, Title 49, Vol 5, Section 571.108, Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...sec571-108.pdf

Like most laws, it's a fun read... but you can just jump down to table 1 on page 310 - "REQUIRED MOTOR VEHICLE LIGHTING EQUIPMENT OTHER THAN HEADLAMPS - Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Trailers, and Buses, of 80 or More Inches Overall Width". The 5 cab lights are the combination of identification lamps (middle 3) and clearance lamps (outer 2). You'll notice that the law also requires them on the rear... that's why duallys also come with the 3 red lights under the tailgate.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:33 PM
xxxsherpa
Posting Guru
xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Must have for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.