Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

What ever happened to pickups

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 05:29 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Wait. You you can still buy a truck - 2018 - that has manual crank windows? Amazing! Figured that must be illegal by now. We'll be keeping an eye on you though, comrade.

It all went downhill when wing vent windows went away.
Funny thing is, in the 2018 Super Duty with manual windows we got at work recently, you can't roll the windows down unless you open the door. The crank has been moved way back on the door, so it is in between the seat & door. No room to get your hand in there & crank. Now that is convenient.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flipklos
Why cant I run recirculate air and defrost at the same time wo AC being on? This is a great way to help warm up the inside and thaw windows in sub zero cold.....

Ummm, you want the AC compressor running when the defroster is on. It removes moisture from the air so that it defrosts more efficiently.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:20 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
Another start up company looking for capital from investors to bring another electric vehicle to market. Yes, the specs are insane but until it can show that it`ll get 400 miles on a single charge while loaded, these specs don`t mean anything. Hmmm, over 60K for a midsize truck and that`s with the smaller battery? How much extra does the larger battery version cost.
This tech is absolutely going to find it's way to the mainstream.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
Another start up company looking for capital from investors to bring another electric vehicle to market. Yes, the specs are insane but until it can show that it`ll get 400 miles on a single charge while loaded, these specs don`t mean anything. Hmmm, over 60K for a midsize truck and that`s with the smaller battery? How much extra does the larger battery version cost.
To maintain perspective, Lariat’s go over $60k....and there are another 4 trims above it... KR, Limited, Platinum, Raptor.

Vehicle prices continue to climb. Though, they are pretty nice at all trim levels now.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:15 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
This is an interesting topic, I know plenty of people with the same thought process, maybe not as strong. I work in the truck unfitting industry so I deal with base models trucks of every brand it’s amazing how you can order trucks if you’re a big enough customer (weird combos). Personally I love loaded trucks, after driving base trucks for work on various days I love stepping into my Limited F-150 with heated/cooled seats, navigation, power running boards..ect it’s just smooth and comfortable. My 91 F250 has a/c, power windows, power locks and funny enough none of that stuff has failed so I’d say being more complex doesn’t equal less reliable.

Buy what you like, just make sure you like it...

Old 12-08-2018, 10:47 PM
EB-Larry
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, my F-150 Lariat SCrew FX4 (loaded) is a luxury vehicle for me. It seems to be implied there is something wrong with that. I came off a 2007 Expedition Limited 4x4 so I wanted a a highly equipped luxurious truck. I use it as my daily driver, runs to Home Depot, Trips to Tahoe in the winter, hauling junk to the dump a few times a year and towing our 6000 lb travel trailer on camping trips eight or nine times year. I love the luxury and equipment like the 360 camera. It does everything I want a truck to do, is comfortable and gets decent MPG.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by scottscott
Funny thing is, in the 2018 Super Duty with manual windows we got at work recently, you can't roll the windows down unless you open the door. The crank has been moved way back on the door, so it is in between the seat & door. No room to get your hand in there & crank. Now that is convenient.
Just think, some idiot signed off on that.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:45 PM
flipklos
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smokewagun

Oh, I never missed your inference that "waiting two years" gives you an automatic pass to gripe. What is really not worth typing, but I'll do it anyway, is the fact you BLAME Ford for a multitude of things that are related to PROGRESS... like not one other manufacturer has the same comparable designs. I'm sure, based on your posts, you'd never consider another new truck by another manufacturer just because of the same issues. Let's not forget, again, you make it Ford's problem, not yours. Remember? You said "it's a poor design".

Oh, by the way, think why you cannot recirculate air while using defrost. You can't defrost with moisture. Ever notice why windows steam up when you get in the truck when it's cold? Not because you are dreamy hot, but moist. The poor design is to rid the cabin of moisture to defrost with dry air. Next time, blow on the window with your wet breath to defrost. It won't work. The property of A/C, which is defrosting through different ducts, is removal of water from the air.

BTW, Flipklos, I'm not saying you are a bad guy because you like old tech. I just went to an XLT from a Lariat. I regressed. I like it. I like the simplistic nature. And yes, the seat fabric absolutely stinks. A bird fart would stain it. I will say Ford blew it on the fabric, but the rest? Kind of the nature of the beasts in this century.
At -20f and 30% humidity all your going for is heat to keep the window from icing asap. LOL
Im not some luddite. I am very happy with the power and milage out of newer engines. I feel automatic trannys have made it to the point in the last 10 years where they do finaly rival a manual for performance and reliability.
By no means do I want to go back to the good old days of manual drums, generators, vacuum wipers, or manual steering. I just find the level of convenience has reached a point of stupidity. Things that were right, like interior fabric, rear springs for work, simple controls are gone.

How many issues has one had with a cable actuated air door? me....None. Now it is electric, over computer, over electric, over vacuum. Does one need such complexity? I duno?
The beer can body has held up a lot better then I thought.

I might be what they call a traditional buyer. I haul cord wood and lumber. Tow scrap iron and tractors. For me simplicity is indicative of reliability. For those who are happy god bless. To each their own.
Mind you always, I think it is a safe, reliable vehicle or I would not be passing it on to my boy in a few years. I am just not happy with my investment.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:40 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
At -20f and 30% humidity all your going for is heat to keep the window from icing asap. LOL
Im not some luddite. I am very happy with the power and milage out of newer engines. I feel automatic trannys have made it to the point in the last 10 years where they do finaly rival a manual for performance and reliability.
By no means do I want to go back to the good old days of manual drums, generators, vacuum wipers, or manual steering. I just find the level of convenience has reached a point of stupidity. Things that were right, like interior fabric, rear springs for work, simple controls are gone.

How many issues has one had with a cable actuated air door? me....None. Now it is electric, over computer, over electric, over vacuum. Does one need such complexity? I duno?
The beer can body has held up a lot better then I thought.

I might be what they call a traditional buyer. I haul cord wood and lumber. Tow scrap iron and tractors. For me simplicity is indicative of reliability. For those who are happy god bless. To each their own.
Mind you always, I think it is a safe, reliable vehicle or I would not be passing it on to my boy in a few years. I am just not happy with my investment.
Thoughts and opinion, respected.

I do agree that some new tech is just plain worse than the old stuff. I've really grown to like my XLT with cloth seats (although the fabric stinks) and manual air conditioning controls, but things like memory seats (I have two other drivers), power-fold tow mirrors, and LED headlights, I DO miss. You can have the electric steering, drive by wire, electric 4X4, traction control, auto-start-stop, and catalytic converters.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:22 AM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not the humidity of the ambient air that we are trying to remove; it's the humidity that we are adding when we breathe. What you think is a flaw is actually a feature. Without the AC removing moisture, the windows are going to frost, especially with multiple people or if you were wet or sweaty when you got it. With a full vehicle in cold enough temps, the side windows are still going to frost, even with the AC on.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:27 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,373 Likes on 1,718 Posts
I haven't cared for the fabric Ford uses on the seats since the 2004 model came out. The seats would stain if water got them when you opened the door to get in or out in the rain. They can do better with the seat fabric. This is one of the reasons why I will continue to buy trucks with leather.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:13 PM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
I haven't cared for the fabric Ford uses on the seats since the 2004 model came out. The seats would stain if water got them when you opened the door to get in or out in the rain. They can do better with the seat fabric. This is one of the reasons why I will continue to buy trucks with leather.
I'm starting to regret my '19 F150 order with cloth seats after reading all the negative comments here. It's too late to change the order now unfortunately.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:40 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 221 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyDog
I'm starting to regret my '19 F150 order with cloth seats after reading all the negative comments here. It's too late to change the order now unfortunately.
Not too big a deal. We got the seats in our 2015/XLT changed out for leather by a local shop for a little under $1000 (IIRC, it was $995). We love the leather, and we like that we were able to match the color to the outside color. The only choice from Ford was to upgrade to a Lariat for about $6500, and black.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:06 PM
JKBrad
Received 810 Likes on 595 Posts
Katzkins or Classic Soft Trim leather is better than Lariat leather anyway.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:27 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,373 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Katzkins or Classic Soft Trim leather is better than Lariat leather anyway.
I do like having the cooled seats that you get with Lariat leather. It gets very hot in Louisiana lol.

Quick Reply: What ever happened to pickups