Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   What ever happened to pickups (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1564811-what-ever-happened-to-pickups.html)

flipklos 12-07-2018 03:23 AM

What ever happened to pickups

I have had this for two years now so I think I am safe to complain at long last,
After many years working up to better and better vehicles I bought a new F150 in November 2016. This is a loaded out Xl with the cruise and power windows and such.

What has happened to ford? I wanted an XL so it was simple. The power windows are smarter than me? The damn Sync....I don't need my pickup to tell me everything. I don't have my GPS enabled in my phone so I don't care if 911 assist don't work. I only want a basic hands free talkabilty. Why do I need traction control? I drove 2wd manuals on ice in the winter for 20 years. Thing sits and does nothing till I hit a button. Wheelspin is important when driving on Ice. sometimes its the only way to turn.

The windows that re roll down? I live on gravel. HOW ANNOYING! what in the hell? Theyalready recessed the switch and flipped the position. At some point you have to thin out the stupid kids. No, I guess its better that I eat a face full of dust when passing because of this stupid (IDIOTIC) feature. My youngest is 17. If he dies in my window......who is going to snapchat all day? WTF ford?

Why is there alloy wheels on all pickups? the beads started leaking within 6 months? What happened to steel wheels? Carpet in a XL....WTF? I bought a liner and plopped it in that helped.
The seat stains easier than any I have ever had, Not really that comfy either.
Why cant I run recirculate air and defrost at the same time wo AC being on? This is a great way to help warm up the inside and thaw windows in sub zero cold.....
My first set of 15" American tires cost about the same as one of these 17" tires....yeah inflation....That same set cost $40 more today?
Flaccid Phil is stiffer than the rear springs in this thing. Am I supposed to use my fusion for towing and hauling? Added air bags in violation of warranty so I could tow at the rating. Plus the rear is much rougher riding than any of my 80s or 90s pickups when unloaded? This is just insane?
That damn airbag thing for the passenger side.....Should I buckle my 90# German shepard? They will not turn it off at the dealer. No I gotta buckle it up every time. What if I wanted to install a child seat? Or just don't want airbags?

Really I only got four good things to say about it,
The mileage is very good.
For being an NA six cylinder I am very happy with the power.
The front end rides very smooth.
There is a ton of storage, Great job on in cab storage.

Ford, you have made me very disappointed. I will never buy a new vehicle from you again. Too complex and spendy. 90% of these features should be defeatable.

Oh and FYI I cannot order a completely stripped pickup with cruise. The only option I wanted in the first place,
In a few years I will sell it to my kid cheap. Buy a nice 80s or 90s and be back to what a pickup should be. Good riddance on bad design.

You guys have fun with these things. I am very disappointed in them. Too complex for any to be around in 20 years or so,

MBuckholz 12-07-2018 04:01 AM

From one grumpy old man to another....

You bought the wrong model.

My '18 super duty has rubber floors, vinyl seats, crank windows, manual door locks, came with cruise control, I wanted 4x4 because I live in the mountains of the West at 7,000' elevation, but got the manual shifter and manual locking hubs for simplicity.
I added Sync because I like not having to have a cord to my phone to listen to audio books on long trips.

Yes, I miss the manual tranny a bit, and the traction control makes you push a button!!!!! to disable it.

But, the 6.2l has amazing power and still gets great fuel economy when I drive it gently, the auto tranny in manual mode works outstanding, the e-locker rear diff makes me wonder why I even ordered 4x4. My 17" steel wheels, which I have qty 9 of and were super cheap on eBay because everyone on here dumps the OEMs wheels and tires to buy balloon tires and wheels made from old diet coke cans. I have winter studded tires on four of the steel wheels and summers on the other five wheels. Yes the 17 inch tires irritate me for the cost, but the ginormous brake rotors that fit inside of wheels sure haul my loads down quickly.

My new truck is ridiculously quiet compared to the older trucks I've owned.

The tire expense thing does make me grumpy, but I think I'm going to buy a cheap harbor freight tire changer and static balancer and order replacement tires over the internet a heck of a lot cheaper and mount my own.

Airbags might just save your big assed dog, e911 might just save your life if some moron runs in to you.

Does my XL SD stripper truck address most of your complaints on your chick-truck F150? hahaha!

tseekins 12-07-2018 05:20 AM

Subscribed, this should be a fun one.

ghunt 12-07-2018 06:46 AM

Damn all this safety and convenience! *shakes fist*

msgtord 12-07-2018 06:59 AM

Said to the wife just a couple of days ago that I'd like to have another bare bones truck.

I realize that some of the issues are federally mandated, but I can't help but wonder how much influence the previous BMW and Cadillac drivers that are first time pickup buyers have influenced the market . We get complaints from folks that come from high end luxury vehicles that have to be reminded that they are driving a pickup.

My next pickup will be ordered from the local fleet manager at the dealership. Maybe then I can get a new pickup the way I want it.

Tedster9 12-07-2018 08:48 AM

Wait. You you can still buy a truck - 2018 - that has manual crank windows? Amazing! Figured that must be illegal by now. We'll be keeping an eye on you though, comrade.

It all went downhill when wing vent windows went away.

alloro 12-07-2018 10:25 AM

There was a time when a pickup truck was a working man's truck, now for many it's a luxury vehicle.

ford390gashog 12-07-2018 10:55 AM

My 2018 F150 has vinyl flooring. I can't speak to the wheels having issues as I have no issues. The other items you mentioned are all the result of federal motor vehicle code and some can be annoying.

smokewagun 12-07-2018 11:20 AM

Flipklos... WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH.

ITS NOT FORD. It's EVERY truck manufacturer. Love people who blame the manufacturer for what have now become standards - by law or competition- and think we should all stay in the stone age.
Did you just walk into the dealer and ask "what can I get for all the coins saved in these old steel dog food cans?" and just grab the first truck you saw? Or did you test drive it? You had oppprtunity to say "no". Then, you could have gone and bought a 1954 Chevrolet and saved a ton of money. Then gone home and really cranked up the gas lights to celebrate the money saved.

Really, I know many like to come here to gripe, but if you are spending that kind of money, and you don't like it, DONT BUY IT.

onug 12-07-2018 11:41 AM

I often wonder how amazing the MPGs would be in these trucks with their wind tunnel sculpted designs and efficient drivelines if not weighted down with all the mandatory gear.

Some change is good, some is bad. But change always happens and whether it’s good or bad is subjective. Hating on change just because it is “change” will always leave you unsatisfied.

bedwards 12-07-2018 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by smokewagun (Post 18347879)

ITS NOT FORD. It's EVERY truck manufacturer. Love people who blame the manufacturer for what have now become standards - by law or competition- and think we should all stay in the stone age.
Did you just walk into the dealer and ask "what can I get for all the coins saved in these old steel dog food cans?" and just grab the first truck you saw? Or did you test drive it? You had oppprtunity to say "no". Then, you could have gone and bought a 1954 Chevrolet and saved a ton of money. Then gone home and really cranked up the gas lights to celebrate the money saved.

Really, I know many like to come here to gripe, but if you are spending that kind of money, and you don't like it, DONT BUY IT.

THAT'S HILARIOUS =]
On a serious note. I tried to buy a stripped down truck in '03 when I bought my F250 but my wife wouldn't have it. So we ended up with the Lariat. As time went buy, I grew to like the added features and more than once the backup sensors saved my bacon. The manufacturers put on these things what sells more trucks. If having crank windows, vinyl floor, am radio, no air, special order for heater sold trucks just because it was cheaper, they'd have them on the lot. The consumer is the ultimate decision maker. The last new truck I bought stripped down was a '86 F150.
I do own a '85 truck that I enjoy driving, but it even has air, power windows, carpet, cruise, clock, am/fm.

brokenleg 12-07-2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by smokewagun (Post 18347879)

My thought. No one forced you to buy something you dont want...

T diesel 12-07-2018 01:19 PM

You ain't seen nothin.......

85e150 12-07-2018 02:28 PM

Over 50 years ago I listened to the neighbor and my dad grumble about how all the new stuff was junk.

So go back and buy a '90s or '70s truck. I can assure you they are junk. Just ask my dad or the neighbor....

Do you grow your hair long and weave shirts out of it? Just wondering....

doyall 12-07-2018 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by flipklos (Post 18347332)
... Added air bags in violation of warranty ...

How does that violate the warranty?