Bearing/Axle Meters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:33 PM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Bearing/Axle Meters?

Not sure what you call these. I see them on some of the tractor trailers axles for service time monitoring. What a smart idea! Do you think we could have them on our rv's to monitor how far we've traveled? Sure would solve a lot of guesswork on bearing maintenance in my opinion! What do you all think?

Old 12-05-2018, 02:03 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Old 12-06-2018, 11:47 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
I'd say for a lot of casual trailer owners, they know pretty close how far they went each trip and season, and the old "once-a-year" repack is probably just fine. If you travel further, or lend your trailer out, or use it for business, I could see the use the axle meters.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:13 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
I keep track of trailer mileage using the truck's trailer selection. So far, I'm tracking three different trailers.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:32 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Trailers don't have odometers. This could be beneficial for resale? Just sayin....

Old 12-10-2018, 10:13 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I keep track of trailer mileage using the truck's trailer selection. So far, I'm tracking three different trailers.
You're a better man than I, Gunga Din! I tried tracking my three personal campers but messed it all up. I obviously don't intend to track the campers I deliver, so never select a trailer when I hook up to one of those. Apparently my truck would select a camper at random and add miles to a camper actually sitting at home.
Anyway, I gave up on tracking any trailers, and simply deleted them all.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
You're a better man than I, Gunga Din! I tried tracking my three personal campers but messed it all up. I obviously don't intend to track the campers I deliver, so never select a trailer when I hook up to one of those. Apparently my truck would select a camper at random and add miles to a camper actually sitting at home.
It's pretty easy to forget to pick the right trailer. I've only done it two or three or four times. I believe you can reset - or set - the mileage for a specific trailer. I haven't cared enough to do that.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:52 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
I keep a log book for my car trailer, of miles traveled. Just before the annual inspection (VA) I pull the drums, check the brakes and clean and pack the bearings. Lights and tires are checked all the time.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:38 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
If you give it another go I would set a "hauling" trailer for the delivery job then name the others as required. Then you can leave it set to "hauling?" and not mess up your personal trailers. I had to do the same for borrowing a stock trailer, i didn't have a choice other than putting miles on one of my three trailers.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:17 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CarterKraft
If you give it another go I would set a "hauling" trailer for the delivery job then name the others as required. Then you can leave it set to "hauling?" and not mess up your personal trailers. I had to do the same for borrowing a stock trailer, i didn't have a choice other than putting miles on one of my three trailers.
That would work but I've gotten lazy (for lack of a better word). Sold two out of three campers, so down to just the one, and I have quit tracking miles on it. I have also quit changing the MTE computation from "normal" to "towing" and back. I just leave it at normal and don't worry about it. Close enough for government work.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:13 AM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
It could use some improvement that's for sure.

It's par though when manufacturers due the software after the product is delivered.
Hoping for a update along the away that will improve several of these systems.