Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other; Brakes, Electrical, Hitches, Weight Distribution & CDL Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum290/)
-   -   Bearing/Axle Meters? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1564535-bearing-axle-meters.html)

jimmystoys 12-04-2018 02:33 PM

Bearing/Axle Meters?

Not sure what you call these. I see them on some of the tractor trailers axles for service time monitoring. What a smart idea! Do you think we could have them on our rv's to monitor how far we've traveled? Sure would solve a lot of guesswork on bearing maintenance in my opinion! What do you all think?

BPofMD 12-05-2018 02:03 PM

See here : Standard Hubodometer® | STEMCO Goggle is your friend !

Also found some in AMAZON: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Hubodometer

seventyseven250 12-06-2018 11:47 AM

I'd say for a lot of casual trailer owners, they know pretty close how far they went each trip and season, and the old "once-a-year" repack is probably just fine. If you travel further, or lend your trailer out, or use it for business, I could see the use the axle meters.

HRTKD 12-06-2018 11:13 PM

I keep track of trailer mileage using the truck's trailer selection. So far, I'm tracking three different trailers.

jimmystoys 12-09-2018 11:32 AM

Trailers don't have odometers. This could be beneficial for resale? Just sayin....

wrvond 12-10-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 18347264)
I keep track of trailer mileage using the truck's trailer selection. So far, I'm tracking three different trailers.

You're a better man than I, Gunga Din! I tried tracking my three personal campers but messed it all up. I obviously don't intend to track the campers I deliver, so never select a trailer when I hook up to one of those. Apparently my truck would select a camper at random and add miles to a camper actually sitting at home.
Anyway, I gave up on tracking any trailers, and simply deleted them all.

HRTKD 12-10-2018 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by wrvond (Post 18352567)
You're a better man than I, Gunga Din! I tried tracking my three personal campers but messed it all up. I obviously don't intend to track the campers I deliver, so never select a trailer when I hook up to one of those. Apparently my truck would select a camper at random and add miles to a camper actually sitting at home.

It's pretty easy to forget to pick the right trailer. I've only done it two or three or four times. I believe you can reset - or set - the mileage for a specific trailer. I haven't cared enough to do that.

GLR 12-18-2018 09:52 PM

I keep a log book for my car trailer, of miles traveled. Just before the annual inspection (VA) I pull the drums, check the brakes and clean and pack the bearings. Lights and tires are checked all the time.

CarterKraft 12-28-2018 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by wrvond (Post 18352567)

If you give it another go I would set a "hauling" trailer for the delivery job then name the others as required. Then you can leave it set to "hauling?" and not mess up your personal trailers. I had to do the same for borrowing a stock trailer, i didn't have a choice other than putting miles on one of my three trailers.

wrvond 01-03-2019 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by CarterKraft (Post 18385626)
If you give it another go I would set a "hauling" trailer for the delivery job then name the others as required. Then you can leave it set to "hauling?" and not mess up your personal trailers. I had to do the same for borrowing a stock trailer, i didn't have a choice other than putting miles on one of my three trailers.

That would work but I've gotten lazy (for lack of a better word). Sold two out of three campers, so down to just the one, and I have quit tracking miles on it. I have also quit changing the MTE computation from "normal" to "towing" and back. I just leave it at normal and don't worry about it. Close enough for government work. ;)

CarterKraft 01-08-2019 08:13 AM

It could use some improvement that's for sure.

It's par though when manufacturers due the software after the product is delivered.
Hoping for a update along the away that will improve several of these systems.