Sponsored by:

need advice for suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:48 AM
dessmo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice for suspension upgrade

The suspension on my 2000 Excursion/6,8l/4WD is rather sloppy after nearly150 000 miles, so it is about time for an upgrade. I am thinking that I would like to lift her around 4-5 inches at the same time. I run her 90% on road, but occasionally on birth roads and off road. I can see there are different manufactures and solutions, any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:37 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Do you ever tow anything?
With the lift are you planning on taller tires? If so, remember the 6.8 really likes to rev and if you have the more common 3.73 gears and go with something like a 35" tire it will be a dog. If big tires are the plan, also plan for new gears to keep the effective ratio at least to where it started off or better.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:01 AM
dessmo
Freshman User
Not towing much, only my boat occasionally. Not planning for bigger tires, just want some more ground clearance.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:54 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
With 4-5 inches of lift and original tire size, your Excursion won’t look quite right. Google Excursion photos and you’ll see what I mean.

Anyway, plenty of lift manufacturers out there. Many of us use Ford leaf springs, while others prefer ProComp, XTS, or Icon. Each of us will likely recommend what we have good experience with.

Your ‘Sloppy suspension’ may not be cured by the lift, but you’ll have more ground clearance under the body/frame.

welcome to FTE.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 AM
dessmo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wpnaes
With 4-5 inches of lift and original tire size, your Excursion won’t look quite right. Google Excursion photos and you’ll see what I mean.

Anyway, plenty of lift manufacturers out there. Many of us use Ford leaf springs, while others prefer ProComp, XTS, or Icon. Each of us will likely recommend what we have good experience with.

Your ‘Sloppy suspension’ may not be cured by the lift, but you’ll have more ground clearance under the body/frame.

welcome to FTE.
Thanks wpnaes, What would you recommend to do to fix the suspension then? I bottoms out even in small speed dumps at low speed, just replace the front leaf springs?

thanks,

Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Start Here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...excursion.html

Scroll down to the links to suspension posts. I highly recommend reading them ALL, as it will give you the knowledge you need to proceed. The Excursion's suspension issues are not usually a single silver bullet fix, but rather a totality of several minor out-of-spec issues that add up to poor performance. Unfortunately, in most cases, they ALL have to be addressed to add up to a great handling truck.

The issue you describe is common to many of our 15-18 year-old trucks, as over time the springs (which didn't have a ton of travel to begin with) have sagged and many see frequent use of the bump stops - if the bump stops are even still present. Worse, the sag affects caster, which out-of-spec on the low side has been determined to be detrimental to handling on these trucks.

Many, if not most here who have upgraded have gone down the ATS Spring route of upgrading to F250-spec springs, specifically V-, W-, or X-code clones in front and modified B- or even C-code clones in the rear. I think hapiness is pretty much universally reported, but with suspension being a subjective "feel" thing, YMMV. Personally, I just ordered some ProComp springs and Bilstiens to try out and see if I like them.

Understand that a 4"-5" lift is not just a "bolt some new springs in" project, it will require an adjustable track bar, maybe a dropped pitman arm, dropped track bar mount, extended brake lines, new u-bolts, and extended shocks. Then an alignment from a very knowledgeable shop that can get the caster to 5* or more.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:10 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by dessmo
Thanks wpnaes, What would you recommend to do to fix the suspension then? I bottoms out even in small speed dumps at low speed, just replace the front leaf springs?

thanks,
Have you checked for spring sag yet ? What are your current measurments ?

at a minimum it sounds like you need new shocks and most likely front bump stops, if you have 1” of front sag then new springs are in order.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:04 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Agree with Pirate, how do you compare with these measurements?

Old 12-04-2018, 11:23 AM
dessmo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Agree with Pirate, how do you compare with these measurements?

23" all around, except rear passenger side which is close to 24". Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:01 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
23” front and 24” rear is stock, I would drive around the block and park on a flat surface to recheck.

if the driver side rear is still sagged 1” investigate , it is fairly unusual to have just 1 spring sag 1”

how are the front bump stops ?

Old 12-04-2018, 01:15 PM
dessmo
Freshman User
I replaced the bump stop 2-3 years ago, the new one are still find but a bit harder than the original. I will drive around and double check the measurements. So if they are not sagged much, maybe new shocks will do the job?

Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dessmo
I replaced the bump stop 2-3 years ago, the new one are still find but a bit harder than the original. I will drive around and double check the measurements. So if they are not sagged much, maybe new shocks will do the job?
A bump stop is really a secondary spring to slow the axle down but allow it to keep moving the last inch of travel, with the stock excursions limeted travel the bump stop gets used freguenty.

replacing the rubber bump stop that has a spring rate of about 700 lbs/ inch and about 1” of travel with a harder polyurethane one that is likely double that and almost no compression results in a very abrubt and harsh hit. The problem with that is 2 fold, first it is jarring the passangers but more so when the axle housing stops moving upward on the suspension the axle housing starts bending because that energy has to go somewhere.

moral of the story, get rid of those polyurethane stops and get rubber ones from Ford or Dorman.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-bumper-2c7z3020aa?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6JjgBRDbARIsAN fu58GVEv3tDESCupmmyNBeXUymRPg-KVesqtka0DM1_7XcjPrifCKUCZUaAkJwEALw_wcB

Shocks control the speed at which the axle moves, yours are shot, get new ones.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:20 PM
dessmo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

A bump stop is really a secondary spring to slow the axle down but allow it to keep moving the last inch of travel, with the stock excursions limeted travel the bump stop gets used freguenty.

replacing the rubber bump stop that has a spring rate of about 700 lbs/ inch and about 1” of travel with a harder polyurethane one that is likely double that and almost no compression results in a very abrubt and harsh hit. The problem with that is 2 fold, first it is jarring the passangers but more so when the axle housing stops moving upward on the suspension the axle housing starts bending because that energy has to go somewhere.

moral of the story, get rid of those polyurethane stops and get rubber ones from Ford or Dorman.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...UaAkJwEALw_wcB

Shocks control the speed at which the axle moves, yours are shot, get new ones.
Thank you very much for your assistance and advice pirate4x4, I will replace the hard bumpers that I have. An specific recommendations for the shocks?

Old 12-04-2018, 04:19 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Years ago everyone had Ranchos, but now more brethren here go with Bilstein 51XX or KYB monomax. A smattering of Monroe and Gabriel.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
I prefer the KYB monomax, it is a monotube design like the Bilstein but firmer valving then the Bilstein that is available for a stock height EX.

For a little less valving go with the Gabriel max control or the Bilstein 4600

the Bilstein 5100 is on par with the monomax but they don’t make a rear one for a stock heigh Ex ( and they cost 2x as much )

Quick Reply: need advice for suspension upgrade