Modular V10 (6.8l)  

another exhaust stud thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 12:29 PM
90limited
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another exhaust stud thread

I have read posts about replacing exhaust manifold studs until my eyes are bleeding..... I'm going with the remflex manifold and Y gaskets. And the SS studs and nuts from amazon... Got a local shop that will plane the old manifolds for $30 each. Have a stud removal tool, small mig welder and a heated shop. What I am I missing?

Another question.... I have seen some folks put a wrench on the nut and crank away and get some of the little buggers out... I have seen others cut the nuts off, remove the manifold and they soak and heat the studs for days before taking the stud tool to them..... Thought?

Old 11-28-2018, 01:18 PM
CousinJordo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck!

Is this a 2V or 3V V10?

Old 11-28-2018, 02:29 PM
90limited
Senior User
Originally Posted by CousinJordo
Good luck!

Is this a 2V or 3V V10?
sorry. 2000 2V V10

Old 11-28-2018, 02:40 PM
CousinJordo
Senior User
10-4.

I have a 3V that I replaced the manifolds with headers and would prefer to have left it stock. The 2Vs on the other hand have a lot of good reps for doing headers and Y pipe conversions. @Krewat might want to chime in with his thoughts on the 2V headers, he did a great write up on the process of removing studs and installing headers.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:53 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Hey, thanks for the tag

The OP says he's reusing the stock manifolds, so the following doesn't mean much, but I gotta say it anyway:

2-valves do get a decent bump in upper-end-power, and the sound is not bad if you use headers that have a thick-enough wall. Whatever you do, stay away from the Heddmans. Get stainless, and don't look back. Even ceramic coated, they are destined to rot somehow if you nick the finish during installation or at any other time.

Now, saying that, a lot of people here have had good experiences with ceramic coating, but for me, I won't do anything other than stainless ever again (if I get another V10, my current one is sold and awaiting pickup).

Old 11-28-2018, 02:59 PM
CousinJordo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Krewat
Hey, thanks for the tag

The OP says he's reusing the stock manifolds......
You bet! And yes, I saw he is planning to, but I thought you may want to give him a nudge towards headers if he was on the fence.

As for me, I'm becoming more of the mind of leaving things stock....or at least doing more research before changing things. That opinion is exclusively for the 3V motors which actually have a really good factory manifold...I should've just kept my $650 and reused stock manifolds. Ya live and ya learn!

Old 11-28-2018, 03:03 PM
90limited
Senior User
Thanks for the info. I'm tiring to get done as cheap as possible. Just bought the excursion a couple weeks ago and started a keep and fix everything or do minimum and look for non rusty thread. Most of the feed back I got was not to dump a bunch of money in this one and look for one less crusty. That said I gotta fix the studs. It's one of the reasons I got this one so cheap.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:06 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by 90limited
Thanks for the info. I'm tiring to get done as cheap as possible. Just bought the excursion a couple weeks ago and started a keep and fix everything or do minimum and look for non rusty thread. Most of the feed back I got was not to dump a bunch of money in this one and look for one less crusty. That said I gotta fix the studs. It's one of the reasons I got this one so cheap.
I can completely understand that!

Old 11-30-2018, 05:57 AM
90limited
Senior User
No one has any comment as whether or not to cut the nuts off or just put a wrench on them ?

Old 11-30-2018, 07:57 AM
Sancho
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can get the manifolds out of the way, that helps a lot. You just need to leave enough to grab. On my f150 , I heated all the studs until orange with a torch. Came right out. Get a good tap,clean the threads.
Have fun.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:28 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 90limited
No one has any comment as whether or not to cut the nuts off or just put a wrench on them ?
I don't think it matters one way or another.
If the stud is going to break, there is already a predetermined point where it will break based on oxidization and fatigue.
And whether or not the nut is on or off will have zero effect on the studs current tensile strength.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:46 AM
90limited
Senior User
Thanks for the feed back guys....

Old 12-03-2018, 02:20 PM
2,4shofast
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CousinJordo
You bet! And yes, I saw he is planning to, but I thought you may want to give him a nudge towards headers if he was on the fence.

As for me, I'm becoming more of the mind of leaving things stock....or at least doing more research before changing things. That opinion is exclusively for the 3V motors which actually have a really good factory manifold...I should've just kept my $650 and reused stock manifolds. Ya live and ya learn!
Why are you not happy with your headers? What brand did you go with? Thanks

Old 12-03-2018, 02:25 PM
CousinJordo
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2,4shofast
Why are you not happy with your headers? What brand did you go with? Thanks
JBAs. They’re about the only reputable brand that makes them for the 3V V10s. The 2V have plenty of options.

I dont dislike them specifically. They just didn’t give me the payback I was looking for. Wish I’d have just saved my money, but they’re coming off tomorrow evening and I’d love to find them a new, loving home at a fair price.

I will say this though, the JBA gaskets are garbage. That’s the only reason I’m pulling them and going back to manifolds and studs. If anyone reading this with a 3V wanting headers, go ahead and get some felpro or OEM gaskets. I’m just replacing everything back to stock so I don’t have to fool with bolt tightening maintenance constantly to avoid leaks. I’ve got a 3 month old at home and very little time I want to spend on my truck.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:22 PM
2,4shofast
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Send me a PM with your thoughts on price.

Quick Reply: another exhaust stud thread