2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2019 tailgate opening

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:50 PM
ndogg3539
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 95snake
I have a tonneau cover, so I can't just tie it. I need to get it into Ford.

I have a bakflip cover as well. Mine has a carabiner attached and you leave enough slack you can easily reach your hand to disconnect it.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 PM
ndogg3539
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by claf

Same experience here. Lots of threads on this, there's a connector underneath that's getting wet.

When my truck was new i di-electric every electrical connection in and under the whole truck/spare tire area that i could see. Guess i didnt get lucky. I just hate to take it in and let some monkeys throw a harnesses at it, or run it back and forth through the car wash trying to get it to mess up.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:05 AM
Ksmeyer18
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, my 19 has done this a half a dozen times. A minimum of 2 times with the fob in the cupholder, I can guarantee an accidental press was not the culprit for some of these actuations. The last time I had this happen, truck was parked after getting groceries, exited the vehicle with fob in cup holder, removed groceries from bed (opened the gate with the electric button), closed then proceeded inside for about 15 minutes before I had to leave again. Started the truck, put into reverse and the reverse camera looked a bit odd. .. the tailgate had unlatched and I was looking at my license plate.. as I think back, I believe a lot of times I've discovered or watched it release uncommanded by me, it was not long after using it myself...

Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 AM
mjstein0753
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by A&Pmech
Anyone else with a 2019 having their power tailgate open uncommanded? I thought they fixed this problem in 2017 but mine has done it twice now. I have had my keys in my pocket both times and I was entering or exiting the truck so I'm not ruling out the possibility of accidentally pressing the button twice.
I have a 2019 F-350 Lariat. It now has 800 miles on it. My tailgate has come open 4 times while driving since new. There is no indication that it is open until I get a warning sound while backing. IS THERE A FIX?

Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,686 Likes on 2,747 Posts
I added dielectric grease to all the connectors I could find on the underside of the truck. I haven't had the tailgate open since then. However, I live in a dry climate so water accumulation in the connectors is a lot less likely than in a wet climate.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 AM
beefrob
Junior User
Make sure to report this to the NHTSA so a record can be kept. At some point, Ford will have to address the problem for safety reasons. Something is gonna fall out of the truck and injure someone or someones property. My 17 King Ranch opened up on the interstate yesterday at some point. I have a roll up cover, so I didn't know until I started to back into my parking spot at work.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:04 PM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought in late 2017 Ford replaced a harness which had a bad connector that wasn't weathertight back near the hitch area. Maybe there's another underlying issue here.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:15 PM
beefrob
Junior User
I think I'm right that the TSB covering the wiring harness is for trucks with a build date up to June of 2017. Unfortunately, my truck was an August build, so is not covered by the TSB and should not have the issue. Dealer is at a loss as to what they need to do. I contacted Ford today and they are supposed to have escalated the issue and a regional person is to contact me within 24 hours. We shall see.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:27 PM
MBfixer
Freshman User
My 2019 F250 Lariat Ultimate did this a few times as well. I attributed mine being caused by the palm of my hand lightly grazing the tailgate button on the dash just enough to cause the tailgate to open when releasing the parking brake. This button seems really sensitive to light touch. A delay when pressing it should've been added. To test my theory, I unplugged the release button connector behind the knee bolster & it hasn't happened since. I'm just going to leave it unplugged since to me there's really no benefit to having a release on the dash. I guess for those that tow a fiver or gooseneck it would be useful when hitching. I fear unintentionally dropping the tailgate on my travel trailer tongue jack. Others may have a phantom electrical glitch, but this solved my issue.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:37 PM
VoodooRob
Senior User
I have a late 2017 Lariat Ultimate not covered under TSB and made an old thread contribution about how to add the dilectric grease. Make sure you are putting an excessive amount in both of the connectors by the spare tire that go to the tailgate. 1 Is for the camera and 1 is for the tailgate operation. Both of my connectors were filled with water in a brand new truck. Gob the grease in there and bottom out each connector as you connect it, repeat this a couple of times per connector. Buy a large tube of the grease and over apply it. I live in Ohio and use the truck to launch a boat many times a year so I'm in a damp wet environment a lot. Not any issues since the "fix", but before the repair the tailgate would drop in the middle of the night against our garage door more than a few times and a couple phantom drops when sitting parked at my shop. I don't give it a thought anymore, guess the bean counters thought a cheap plug set would be fine, LOL.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:23 PM
ShadowGrey
Senior User
I have a 2019 and have used the dielectric grease on all the connectors under there since new in December. Have almost 700 miles on it and never had the tailgate come down when it wasn't suppose to...today driving in 20 degree weather with blowing snow...drove in rain and sleet, no problems to report...

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-21-2019, 06:57 PM
GetMuddy
Freshman User
My brand new 2019 F-250 Platinum just did this on the way home from work. Unfortunately, it did it while the truck was in a parking space in the deck. The tailgate slid off the edge of the concrete half-wall leaving vertical scrapes on both the paint and the backup camera. The truck has only 225 miles on it.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:26 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,686 Likes on 2,747 Posts
GetMuddy, I would be pissed. How sure are you that it wasn't the dash switch or the fob that actuated the tailgate?

Old 01-21-2019, 07:50 PM
plumbob98
5th Wheeling
I also have a 2019. My tailgate has opened by itself one time. I read on the forums about how it's pretty easy to activate the tailgate release with the key-fob. Since then, as I get into the vehicle I put the key-fob in the center tray and it's never opened by itself again.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 PM
GetMuddy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
GetMuddy, I would be pissed. How sure are you that it wasn't the dash switch or the fob that actuated the tailgate?
It is always possible that it was the button on the key fob being pressed. It sits in my pocket. But as another said, the fob was in the cup holder and could not have been pressed. It is practically impossible to prove one way or the other unless it is reproducible on command. That is why I hate intermittent problems, IT or automotive related. The only positive way to tell is to somehow record from what source the signal to open the tailgate came from (to eliminate possibilities).

What is most annoying is that the camera view is pretty bad. The scratches are not so big a deal. After all, it is a TRUCK. "Battle scars" are part of owning one.

Quick Reply: 2019 tailgate opening