1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Christmas Epistle 2018 (yea, it's early)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:07 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Christmas Epistle 2018 (yea, it's early)

Well, another year has flown by… weeks go by like days and months like weeks and for an old man it’s surely moving far too fast. My finish date for the truck keeps slipping. Responsibilities, occasional work and then there’s those chores that never end. And leaves !!! will they never end !!! But I’m still plugging along doing what I can when time permits. Thanksgiving has just past and I hope you all are like me and enjoyed it thoroughly. I can think of a couple of exceptions but I know these guys and I’m totally sure they made the best they could out of what they have to work with…. God bless them.

My Christmas epistle has gotten a little stale of late and I’m changing the tune. A year or so ago I exchanged some emails with a friend and we discussed the difference in a good and a wonderful life. I’d like to share my thoughts on what they are.

“A good and wonderful life… Wow ? I don’t know if those are the same thing… they can be, but you can have each individually. I know several people that have a good life… enough money, nice enough house, food on the table and a job that supports that. But, they don’t necessarily have a ‘wonderful’ life… illness, family problems, work issues… stress and anxiety about something all the time.

I try to listen to my preacher, he’s a good preacher and puts the lessons of the gospel in today’s life. I pay attention to what he says and try very hard to retain it. Sometimes it’s easy and sometimes I get in my own way. I have a good life…I’m retired with a decent pension and SS. House paid for and enough money for essentials and some play money (and a truck that’s alllll most finished). My health is reasonably good or under medication to be good and I can do most everything physically a 71 year old can or should do. I have a small circle of friends or acquaintances and an even smaller circle of people that would pull me out a ditch or help me bury a body if necessary. I try to be a good steward of that friendship and they know they can count on me also. I think that could be considered a good life.

I’ve had situations in my life when I couldn’t control the outcome but that affected me greatly.. a grandson with cancer at 4 years old was one and it taught me that your life isn’t all about you. It was extremely frustrating for someone (me) who just “does what needs doing”. In this, there was nothing physically I could do. But, we had people from all over this country praying and supporting us with both financial help and moral support. It was the most humbling experience I’ve ever had. It beat my pride down unmercifully, raised me up spiritually to a relationship with God and taught me a most valuable lesson. We cannot exist alone in life. We can try to be an “island” but it’s neither a good or wonderful life.

That time showed me that I had more to repay than I could ever imagine… not that it was expected by anyone… but anyone with an ounce of pride feels that it’s necessary. My problem presented itself almost immediately …..most of it was un-payable… Some of it, I wasn’t even aware of for years after. My plan to repay hit the wall… so I prayed on it… God used a minister I’d never met from California to tell me what to do. He was in a prayer chain of a co-worker and called me personally to help me. He told me straight up “God has this, don’t worry”. I asked him how I could ever repay all the kindness and support we’d received… He reminded me of a movie I’d seen but forgotten called “Pay it forward” and I saw my plan turn to the right and continue. I realized that my friends and those strangers didn’t want or need to be repaid at all… it was an act of love or compassion on their part and I should do the same. I could just make my payments to someone else I found that needed help in some way. That way, the act of kindness doesn’t stop but moves ahead to others. Boy, was that a revelation for me.

Since that time I’ve actively looked for ways to be a benefit to others… and especially if I could do it anonymously. My pastor has helped with suggestions also… Buy a cop or serviceman’s dinner if you see one in a restaurant… leave a big ole honkin tip for a waitress with too many tables and too few hands…. Buy breakfast for the guy/lady in the car behind you at McDonalds or Starbucks. There are literally thousands of easy secret ways to pay it forward.

I continued with my good life and am so thankful that God and some excellent doctors got my grandson healed and he travels on his own road now… he’s 17 and 13 years cancer free. I am one blessed Granddaddy!

What I discovered living my good life and finding opportunities to have a positive effect on others lives… I’m not rich and no philanthropist but I do what I can where I can… sometimes it’s not monetary… sometimes it’s just sitting and listening to someone who needs to talk… or vent… or scream at injustices in their own life…. Then maybe give them a hug or a handshake andcontinue to support them when, how and where I can…

What this taught me was that (as my preacher tells me) when we bless others, we are blessed tenfold. Every time I’ve tried to help someone it has done more for me than them… it’s amazing. It’s also turned my good life into a wonderful life, and I hope I get to keep doing it…

I’m not trying to preach or get you on God’s team… that’s your house. I’m just telling the difference in good and wonderful that I’ve found.

Long way to say what I’m thinking and I don’t think I did it justice… I live my own life (just like you) and I try to be a good friend to those I know and those I don’t quite know yet.

I doubt seriously if anyone would be interested in reading my ‘life’ book… but I, like you, I’m sure , would like them to say “that was a good story” I can’t think of a better epitaph. “

I guess anyone can have a ‘good” life all by themselves… but our friendships and relationships with those close to us and even with strangers are what makes it a “wonderful” life.

I got more… I won’t blame you if you hit return and go on wandering the forum or the net or whatever…

I’ve read two things recently that really made me stop and think, and they need to be repeated and dwelt on. The first is a modern Christmas version of 1st Corinthians 13 as written by a mother, but can apply to all of us

If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows,

strands of twinkling lights and shiny *****,

but do not show love to my family,

I’m just another decorator.

If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies,

prepare gourmet meals and arrange a beautifully adorned table at mealtime,

but do not show love to my family, I’m just another cook.

If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home and

give all that I have to charity, but do not show love to my family,

it profits me nothing.

If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes,

attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir’s cantata

but do not focus on Christ,

I have missed the point.

Love stops the cooking to hug the child.

Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband or wife.

Love is kind, though harried and tired.

Love doesn’t envy another’s home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens.

Love doesn’t yell at the kids to get out of the way, but is thankful they are there to be in the way.

Love doesn’t give only to those who are able to give in return but rejoices in giving to those who can’t.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.

Video games will break, pearl necklaces will be lost, golf clubs will rust, but giving the gift of love will endure

And lastly a good outlook for 2019

I’m walking into 2019 with a clear heart and mind.
If you owe me, don’t worry about it – you’re welcome.
If you wronged me, it’s all good – lesson learned.
If you’re angry with me, you’ve won, congratulations.
If we aren’t speaking, its cool..I wish you well.
If you feel I wronged you, I apologize. It wasn’t intentional.

I am grateful for every experience that I received.

Life is too short for all the pent up anger, holding grudges and extra stress & pain.

I’M READY FOR 2019 !!

Remember, forgiving someone is for you..NOT THE OTHER PERSON

So don’t block your blessings. Make 2019 a year of positivity following

A season of forgiveness

And this gets put in every year… For all my FTE friends and family

My Christmas and New Years wish for all of my FTE family…

I hope that you and your families are in good health and spirits.
I hope that you are close to all of them and share good times often.
I hope if that isn’t the case and it's your fault that you fix it …. Soon. And even if it's not your fault… fix it…. SOON.
I hope that you can't begin to count all your friends. Not just your facebook friends… real people !
I hope that you have a God that you believe in and TALK TO.
I hope he listens to you and answers your questions and prayers.
I hope you thank your friends for being your friend and tell them how much it means to you just to have them in your life.

I hope you'll share these Christmas wishes and thoughts with every one you encounter, both friend and foe, loved one and stranger.
Be politically incorrect and wish EVERYONE Merry Christmas!!

Remember who’s birthday it is !!!!!

I hope you'll drop a dollar or two in the Salvation Army Bucket… make that bell ringer feel useful AND stick a couple of bucks in their pocket or a Starbucks gift card to get themselves a couple of hot chocolate on you.
Perform random acts of kindness to strangers… tip big occasionally… take a dozen donuts to the firehall…stop and shake a policeman’s hand and say thank you sincerely.
I hope you'll send a Christmas Card with a check in it to the local mission or to Toys for Tots, or pick up a gift for an Angel Tree child. My favorite charity is St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital… they do good things with your money.

I hope you’ll pray for our service men and women who won’t be home this Christmas.

So, that’s probably 15 minutes you’ll never get back. But I really wrote it more for me than you

Merry Christmas FTE family and a happy, peaceful, love filled 2019 to all of you

john

Old 11-27-2018, 06:04 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
God bless you, John. Your words always help put (or keep) things into perspective. And yes, I did read them all. I wish you and yours a joyous holiday and a very Merry Christmas!

Old 11-27-2018, 07:08 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 400 Likes on 188 Posts
Thank you John. Merry Christmas & Happy new year to you & your family.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 AM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I swear I just read 2017's a few day's ago. Time sure goes too fast, trying to find the right amount of time to spend between raising kids, work, and hobbies sure is a difficult task.

Anyways, Amen John, thanks for the help, and Merry Christmas!

Old 11-27-2018, 09:40 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Thanks, John. Nicely done as always.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
John,
Thanks for getting us in the right frame of mind to help others and enjoy our families!
Regards,
Chris

Old 11-27-2018, 12:21 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
You are right John, the pace seems to have quickened these last few years. I've mentioned it before but, it was your post that turned up when I searched old Ford truck restoration in 2004 which led me to this site. I am very grateful for the distant friends FTE has brought me.

I've done some pondering in the last while as to the current state of the world,with the polarization and its causes. We need to get our own house in order first, be more accepting of others, and try together to make a positive impact on the world we share. FTE is a metaphor for this, each on his own path, lookiing for guidance, debating over issues and ultimately accepting other's rights to choosing their own direction on their "project".

2018 has brought its challenges to our little FTE community, I am encouraged by the generousity and kindness shown by it's members towards those in need.

Christmas is my favorite holiday because it puts joy in our hearts and reminds us to take time to show compassion and generousity towards others. The key is to keep that spirit going throughout the year.

Now (getting down of the soapbox) I would like to wish everyone a very happy,, and Merry Christmas! I hope that 2019 will bring you joy, and good fortune.

PS: I too read the whole thing!

Old 11-27-2018, 01:22 PM
49f1 49752
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Amen.
And this is why I visit this site.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:15 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
John,
great as always. I especially liked the "if we aren't speaking, I wish you well"
you can't make people be a part of your life but you can wish them well.
happy holidays

Old 11-28-2018, 07:23 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks John. I look forward to these every year. I'm only 2 years behind you, and I've quit working on trucks for the most part. I'm unsure where this came from, but I like to use the saying "Life is like a roll of toilet paper... the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes".

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:31 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Once again John I love reading your writings . Very well said and am sure that everyone that reads it will appreciate it and try to change I know I will. Merry Christmas.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:28 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Thank you, John, very well written! I especially liked the Christmas version of 1st Corinthians 13. A very Merry Christmas to you and all of the FTE family!
Mark

Old 11-28-2018, 05:33 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Thank you John.
It never fails, your X-mas posts are always very timely and it seems like your words of wisdom always strike a chord at a time when I'm really needing a boost.

With all my heart, Thanks
Bobby

Old 11-29-2018, 10:31 AM
1PieceAtATime
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks, John Merry Christmas! "Love doesn’t yell at the kids to get out of the way, but is thankful they are there to be in the way. "

Old 11-29-2018, 12:22 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you John. Your writing always touches me and reminds me that there are still many very nice people left in the world like yourself. Your writing wont be on the 6 o'clock news although it should. Your kind spirit shines brighter with every word you type and warms my soul. Your a good man John, May God richly bless you, and yours.

Quick Reply: Christmas Epistle 2018 (yea, it's early)