Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

relocating aat sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:00 AM
txhotrod5oh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
relocating aat sensor

has anyone here relocated the ambient air temp sensor from the mirror to the old position in front of the radiator? Just need to know if its possible. I have an 18 f150. First post also. looks like a forum with plenty of knowledge. thanks!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
It is possible, but I doubt it is practical. You will be blazing a new path.

Basically, you'll need to take the wires that are running to the probe in the mirror and reroute (and extend) them to the front of the truck, where you will somehow mount an old style temperature probe.
You'll have to figure out if it's a thermistor, RTD, or thermocouple...the easiest thing to do is probably just plug in the old style to your wires and see if the temperature reading looks right. Or, alternatively, buy a new temp probe for a mirror and just fab a mount for it in the front of the truck where you want to put it.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:27 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
What's the reason for relocating? I don't see the sensor on the diagram in the mirror for XL or XLT trucks.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:28 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
What's the issue with the mirror location? Not trying to talk you out of it; just curious what the issue is?

Old 11-26-2018, 09:32 AM
txhotrod5oh
New User
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
It is possible, but I doubt it is practical. You will be blazing a new path.

Basically, you'll need to take the wires that are running to the probe in the mirror and reroute (and extend) them to the front of the truck, where you will somehow mount an old style temperature probe.
You'll have to figure out if it's a thermistor, RTD, or thermocouple...the easiest thing to do is probably just plug in the old style to your wires and see if the temperature reading looks right. Or, alternatively, buy a new temp probe for a mirror and just fab a mount for it in the front of the truck where you want to put it.
where would I buy the wires to extend it? And would I need to solder them together?

Old 11-26-2018, 09:33 AM
txhotrod5oh
New User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
What's the reason for relocating? I don't see the sensor on the diagram in the mirror for XL or XLT trucks.
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
What's the issue with the mirror location? Not trying to talk you out of it; just curious what the issue is?
well I bought power mirrors for the truck without realizing that there’s a sensor in the mirror. Unfortunately I cannot return the mirrors and I’ve got to find a way to make this happen. Thanks guys.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:40 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
I would just use normal small gauge copper wire. Soldering offers a better long-term junction over time, so it would be preferred...but not required.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:26 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
I have an XLT and it shows an outside temperature on Sync3 !

Old 11-26-2018, 10:43 AM
txhotrod5oh
New User
I would just use normal small gauge copper wire. Soldering offers a better long-term junction over time, so it would be preferred...but not required.
alright so I looked at another guy’s 17 F-150 and followed his aat sensor back to the main harness and it goes to a plug right below the hood latch. I looked on mine and I also have that plug but mine has a dummy plug in it. Do you think I could just run a pigtail to it and be good to go?

Old 11-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Did your truck originally come with the temperature sensor? I ask this because you can probably just buy the sensor that the other guy has, but I don't know if it will automatically sense it or if you will you have to enable it (if possible) with ForScan.

I thought your truck might have the sensor in the mirror and the new mirrors you bought didn't have that...so you wanted to run your original sensor wires to the front. Is that what you are doing? If so, there is a chance that the connector near the hood latch is linked to your original wires that go to the mirror...so it will work just as long as there is a temp sensor at one of those locations completing the circuit. If that is the case, just be sure to that the connector for your mirror can't get any water where the original temp sensor wire would connect to the harness...this would short the pins (the sensors work by resistance and shorted pins would have no resistance).

Old 11-26-2018, 10:58 AM
txhotrod5oh
New User
Did your truck originally come with the temperature sensor? I ask this because you can probably just buy the sensor that the other guy has, but I don't know if it will automatically sense it or if you will you have to enable it (if possible) with ForScan.

I thought your truck might have the sensor in the mirror and the new mirrors you bought didn't have that...so you wanted to run your original sensor wires to the front. Is that what you are doing? If so, there is a chance that the connector near the hood latch is linked to your original wires that go to the mirror...so it will work just as long as there is a temp sensor at one of those locations completing the circuit. If that is the case, just be sure to that the connector for your mirror can't get any water where the original temp sensor wire would connect to the harness...this would short the pins (the sensors work by resistance and shorted pins would have no resistance).
yes it currently has the temp sensor in the passenger mirror. But the mirrors I bought do not have a sensor in them. So I think I’m going to buy the sensor and pigtail this guy has on his 17 and connect it to the same spot on mine and hopefully that does the trick. If it works that would be great and save me a lot of time.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:11 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
That is exactly what I would do first. Get his VIN number and call your local Ford dealership to see if they have the part. If not, you can surely find it online once they give you the part number.
Since the plug is there, it is most likely tied in to the circuit...and the factory just installs either one.

I think that should be your game plan, because you'll have to buy that part no matter how you do it.

1. If you plug it in and it works, you are done.
2. If you plug it in and it doesn't work, you'll simply run a length of small gauge wires from the mirror temp sensor wires to the wires coming out the back of the factory plug for the front grill temp sensor. It's nice they offer both options, because it means you should be able to more easily mount the sensor (factory accommodations should already be there for the sensor).

That worked out great for you.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:54 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Alternatively, you could re-use the old sensor from the old mirror, and just figure out a way to attach it to the new mirror.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Alternatively, you could re-use the old sensor from the old mirror, and just figure out a way to attach it to the new mirror.
If txhotrod5oh bought Ford mirrors, they may have a provision built in where he can mount his factory sensor in that location. That would be even better!

Old 11-27-2018, 10:44 AM
txhotrod5oh
New User
If txhotrod5oh bought Ford mirrors, they may have a provision built in where he can mount his factory sensor in that location. That would be even better!
i did buy ford mirrors but there’s no place to mount the old sensor. I could stuff it in there but then it probably wouldn’t read right. Would be nice though then I wouldn’t have to buy the pigtail and sensor.

Quick Reply: relocating aat sensor