1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Parts Overloaded Mind

Old 11-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Ballengee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts Overloaded Mind

I am going to do the front disc brake conversion on my '55. Lord trying to figure out what is the best route and best place to purchase and all the additional little things i need to consider are about to melt my mind!!! I have done nothing but research and think for the past year about this, Now I think I am more confused than when I started. Seems pretty straight forward but geez. I just want to do it he right way.

This is what I know so far:

1. Purchase an entire kit
2. The grease nipple will need to be relocated
3. I do not use the original rims so there will be no shaving needed.
4. Getting a dual master cylinder would be best (I was going to do this regardless on advise from other car guys for safety reasons)
5. Inspect all metal lines, Dad just replaced these before he passed so I am not too concerned about this.
6. I am replacing the original spindles also. Yes original spindles. I didn't even think they would be worth anything anymore but Dad used them.
7. I haven't determined on power or not. I think I had just found a frame mounted booster kit, But that all chrome firewall kit sure does look nice.
8. I have a lift which will be utilized and of course all the tools needed
9. Be patient

Anything that anyone can think of that I would need to consider or look at would be appreciated.

I know going back all original would be great. Once I inherited the truck I thought it was pretty close to original except for a few cosmetic things like tilt hood and wheels.. It will cost so much more to get it back to original than it would cost to do some extra work. I would like my daughter to drive it one day. I am not changing the 3 on the tree so making anything else easier and safer will help her out too.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:58 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 865 Likes on 421 Posts
Let me just start by saying I don't really know anything about the effort and expense that might be involved in changing over an old truck like ours to disc brakes. What I do know is that I kept mine stock, and it wasn't all that expensive to do so. Another plus to keeping my brakes stock is that I was able to do most of the work myself even though I'm not very mechanically inclined.

The first step was getting the parts to rebuild the brake system I had. I was presently surprised that everything I needed was available from my local auto parts store. The people at the parts store were also able to turn my original drums for me.

My truck has new shoes, clips, springs, wheel cylinders, and lines. The master cylinder was replaced, and my original drums turned. Some of the wheel bearings were also replaced, but the spindles were fine. I've driven my truck about 6000 miles since working on the brakes, and my opinion is that the stock brakes work fine for the driving I do.

Lots of people think they have to change their trucks over to disc brakes, and you might what to too. I'm just saying I didn't, and not doing so is an option to consider.

Jim

Old 11-25-2018, 04:33 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Make sure you get a master cylinder kit for a manual because the cheaper automatic kit won’t work.

I’d check your spindles. If the bearings haven’t spun that’ll save you some money.