1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! 2000 7.3 f250-loss of power & sputtering at slight acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 07:42 AM
Byerkie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! 2000 7.3 f250-loss of power & sputtering at slight acceleration

Ive seen alot of threads similar to mine here but, none seem to be the same problem im having...to start off i have a 2000 7.3 powerstroke with about 155k miles, everything is stock other then a TS chip, 6632 napa intake...
i have been having a problem that started recently then running the truck hot/cold it acts as if it has lost 30% power over the normal.....
when accelerating the engine will -i guess you could call it "sputter". It also "sputters" if i hit the gas quickly not smashing the pedal to the floor but more in the speed I press down.
To me it feels like its not getting enough fuel...

also idle seems a little rough with a very very slight almost miss every 3-4 seconds.

the truck has new icp (motorcraft)
new oil change
New fuel bowl filter
New air filter
New glow plugs
Good tested batteries
i have been trying to monitor with my od2 plug-in and all seems fine
with the icp pressure but i will mention the ipr duty cycle will actively change on scanner but, sometimes will freeze at a number then start changing later as its running (could it be bad scanner?)

And of course no codes to pull...

I will say when you can really notice the loss of power once the overdrive kicks (on a 2000rpm acceleration)in at around 40mph you really have to press the gas pedal down to accelerate. Once its up past 50mph it accels like theres nothing wrong...

I hope ive mentioned enough for someone to understand but, if i left something out let me know!

Thanks for any help/suggestions!!!!
and happy turkey day!!!

Old 11-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? How full is your fuel tank? In the future post in the 7.3L 99-03 forum our trucks are getting old those of us that have them know them very well.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Byerkie
New User
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Welcome to FTE. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? How full is your fuel tank? In the future post in the 7.3L 99-03 forum our trucks are getting old those of us that have them know them very well.
I had over a 1/4 tank when it started so i added lucas injecotr cleaner and almost filled the tank to rule out a broken pick up screen...but it made little to no difference sadly...

Old 11-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? That would help rule out fuel pump...

Old 11-22-2018, 04:30 PM
Byerkie
New User
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? That would help rule out fuel pump...
no i dont, i looked them up to get a kit ordered but they seem to cost more than the pump itself...

Old 04-05-2019, 11:41 AM
Byerkie
New User
Fixed!

Its been a while but i wanted to update anybody else having similar issues.
My fix ended up being a quart or more short of oil a needing an oil change after a running new topped off oil in it issue went away.
The injectors are actuated by oil and i guess my oil was dirty and slightly low.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:01 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Byerkie
Its been a while but i wanted to update anybody else having similar issues.
My fix ended up being a quart or more short of oil a needing an oil change after a running new topped off oil in it issue went away.
The injectors are actuated by oil and i guess my oil was dirty and slightly low.
Your first post says that you had an oil change. Did you do another oil change? These trucks hold 15qts of oil. As you stated, the injectors are opened by oil pressure... But... I speak from experiences that that being one qrt low will not cause your problem of closed or slightly closed injectors. 6-8 qrts... yes, but not one or two. If you looked on the dip stick and saw no oil on it and then decided to do an oil change (15qrts), you may have not realized that the oil was really down 6-8 qrts. Happened to me twice in 15 years, each event years apart. Checked one day and oil level fine, very next week truck...no start..... 8 qrts low.... Had no idea where the oil went... changed oil and filter... everything fine. To this day, I have no idea on why I 'lost' 8qrts of oil in a weeks time on two different occasions.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:07 PM
Byerkie
New User
Originally Posted by Brother Les
Your first post says that you had an oil change. Did you do another oil change? These trucks hold 15qts of oil. As you stated, the injectors are opened by oil pressure... But... I speak from experiences that that being one qrt low will not cause your problem of closed or slightly closed injectors. 6-8 qrts... yes, but not one or two. If you looked on the dip stick and saw no oil on it and then decided to do an oil change (15qrts), you may have not realized that the oil was really down 6-8 qrts. Happened to me twice in 15 years, each event years apart. Checked one day and oil level fine, very next week truck...no start..... 8 qrts low.... Had no idea where the oil went... changed oil and filter... everything fine. To this day, I have no idea on why I 'lost' 8qrts of oil in a weeks time on two different occasions.
You know now that i think back to when i started the post, I posted it the night right after the oil change with only a few miles of running the truck (could have had to cycle more???) I also swapped out my cps sensor for the ford recall one (helped idle alot!)
I think when i changed the glow plugs i wasnt able to drain all the oil around them and i do know the fuel filter was black after that (before i replaced it)

Old 04-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Byerkie
You know now that i think back to when i started the post, I posted it the night right after the oil change with only a few miles of running the truck (could have had to cycle more???) I also swapped out my cps sensor for the ford recall one (helped idle alot!)
I think when i changed the glow plugs i wasnt able to drain all the oil around them and i do know the fuel filter was black after that (before i replaced it)
Thing about these trucks... if you get air in the oil lines (oil pressure opens injectors), the truck will run a little crappy until all of the air is out. This some times takes about 50 miles of running.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:38 AM
Byerkie
New User
I always thought i had some bad injectors (at idle) but after switching to the recall cps it smoothed out alot. Pulled the turbo out changed all seals and upgraded to the bellowed up-pipes with a 4" inch turbo back exhaust and the thing runs better than it ever has.