2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:54 AM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
TPMS?

i had my dealer install a set of 20” factory takeoff wheels and tires from an '18 F350 on my ‘17 F250. They reset the TPMS and it worked for ~50 miles, all at below 50 mph. During this time I had the tires siped at Les Schwab, which involves taking the wheels off the truck, but not dismounting the tires.
However, after 25-30 miles at highway speeds, I got the TPMS Fail alarm, and the read outs went to dashes. I was on the road, so I stopped at a different Les Schwab and asked them if they could take a look. They couldn’t get any of the sensors to reset with their test equipment. This happened 2 days ago, so the truck has been shut down and restarted several times, once overnight.

Has anyone ever run into anything like this? I’m looking for any additional knowledge that’s out there before I take it back to the dealer.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:06 AM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please let us know what happens. I am considering buying a set of 20" take-offs with TPMS sensors in them and resetting them to work on my 2019 F-350. I didn't think it would mind if I bought 2017 or 2018's. Maybe I should stick with 2019's.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:33 AM
6.2caribou
Laughing Gas
Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts
Is it possible that the wheels weren't reinstalled in their original locations? If so, maybe you have to follow the tire rotation reset procedure.
That and maybe the tire shop's calibration device was malfunctioning or not compatible with your sensors.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:33 AM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hjabernathy
Please let us know what happens. I am considering buying a set of 20" take-offs with TPMS sensors in them and resetting them to work on my 2019 F-350. I didn't think it would mind if I bought 2017 or 2018's. Maybe I should stick with 2019's.
I got the set brand new for $600, complete with lug nuts and hub covers. If it comes down to it, I can live without TMPS for the life of the tires if I have to.

Originally Posted by 6.2caribou
Is it possible that the wheels weren't reinstalled in their original locations? If so, maybe you have to follow the tire rotation reset procedure.
That and maybe the tire shop's calibration device was malfunctioning or not compatible with your sensors.
Good thought. I’ll check another tire shop before I go to the dealer. (I’ve got nothing against my dealer, but I can drop in on the tire shop, and I have to make an appointment and drop the truck off at the dealer.)

Old 11-18-2018, 12:16 PM
6.2caribou
Laughing Gas
Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts
I think that the position reset process is in the owner's manual. I've been getting my tires rotated at the dealer, as part of The Works package, so I've never had reason to perform it myself.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:24 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchased a set of used wheels and Ford OEM TPMS sensors for my snow tires. Had everything mounted and balanced this weekend. But I'm told when I put my snow tires on I'll have to go back to the dealer to get the TPMS programmed. The whole point was to NOT have to sit in the shop for hours when everyone is in a mad rush to get their snow tires put on.

I was shocked these trucks are not smart enough to store 2 sets of tires, summer, winter but Ford swears they can't and I have to have their guy program TPMS every time I switch tires. I called BS on them to no avail.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:32 PM
STIBUILDER
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coolidge54
I purchased a set of used wheels and Ford OEM TPMS sensors for my snow tires. Had everything mounted and balanced this weekend. But I'm told when I put my snow tires on I'll have to go back to the dealer to get the TPMS programmed. The whole point was to NOT have to sit in the shop for hours when everyone is in a mad rush to get their snow tires put on.

I was shocked these trucks are not smart enough to store 2 sets of tires, summer, winter but Ford swears they can't and I have to have their guy program TPMS every time I switch tires. I called BS on them to no avail.
Exactly, then how could they read and monitor the ones on our trailers Im sure there is room in some table.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
Originally Posted by coolidge54

First, I never cease to be amused by some of the emogies that people come up with. Yours was particularly descriptive.

I believe you can fairly easily reprogram the TPMS Sensors in different sets of wheels. Yes, it’s a hassle but doing so yourself will take a lot less time than going to the dealer. Now to be honest, I have NOT done this yet. My truck doesn’t arrive for another couple of weeks. However, I’ve watched a few YouTube videos. I thought you needed a TPMS Triggering Tool, and it may be the best tool for the job. But I was stunned to watch a guy use a magnet to pair new sensors. It was a donut-shaped magnet that he slipped over the valve stem, but he also set the magnet next to the stem. They were steel wheels, so the magnet stuck to the rim.

I’m not going to describe the process here. GOOGLE it and I’m sure you’ll find several descriptive videos. As for the tire shop refusing to pair the sensors, not sure how to react to that. They should have known, or at least been able to figure out, how to do it. It really doesn’t seem to be too complicated.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:48 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hjabernathy

First, I never cease to be amused by some of the emogies that people come up with. Yours was particularly descriptive.

I believe you can fairly easily reprogram the TPMS Sensors in different sets of wheels. Yes, it’s a hassle but doing so yourself will take a lot less time than going to the dealer. Now to be honest, I have NOT done this yet. My truck doesn’t arrive for another couple of weeks. However, I’ve watched a few YouTube videos. I thought you needed a TPMS Triggering Tool, and it may be the best tool for the job. But I was stunned to watch a guy use a magnet to pair new sensors. It was a donut-shaped magnet that he slipped over the valve stem, but he also set the magnet next to the stem. They were steel wheels, so the magnet stuck to the rim.

I’m not going to describe the process here. GOOGLE it and I’m sure you’ll find several descriptive videos. As for the tire shop refusing to pair the sensors, not sure how to react to that. They should have known, or at least been able to figure out, how to do it. It really doesn’t seem to be too complicated.
After $400 for the set of TPMS sensors I wasn't really looking to spend another $300 on a programming tool because the $74k truck is too dumb to figure out when I switch tires.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:14 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Follow the relearn in the manual, then drive it. It does take a while, every time I rotate tires at dealer, I see the dashes for a bit but they always sync up. I don’t really see the need for you need to use a tool, so long as the sensors batteries are ok. I have also rotated my tires at home, and same, no issue, see the dashes for a bit, just have to drive until it starts to acquire the data and report it. I also frequently air up and down depending on towing, not towing, and at first the pressures will be wrong, then dashes, then they will sync up.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
The dealer will have to clear out the old sensors and relearn the new ones. It usually takes about 50 miles before your truck gives you a tpms fault. I find it weird your dealer didn’t know to do the clear and relearn. And no, the horn beep thing wont work either, it has to be done by a dealer, been there, done that. Your truck will continue to try to find your old sensors until you have them cleared out and the new ones programmed to your truck.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Follow the relearn in the manual, then drive it. It does take a while, every time I rotate tires at dealer, I see the dashes for a bit but they always sync up. I don’t really see the need for you need to use a tool, so long as the sensors batteries are ok. I have also rotated my tires at home, and same, no issue, see the dashes for a bit, just have to drive until it starts to acquire the data and report it. I also frequently air up and down depending on towing, not towing, and at first the pressures will be wrong, then dashes, then they will sync up.
This is contrary to what I've seen on the internet, but I have no physical experience with this system. I am very encouraged by your experiences because I also regularly air up and down depending on towing or not. I thought that the TPMS system on a Super Duty "remembered" the specific location of a particular tire. If you change the location of the tire, I thought you had to reset the location using a TPMS TRIGGERING TOOL. Guess I've got a bit to learn, in person, about the system.

Originally Posted by Brandon606
The dealer will have to clear out the old sensors and relearn the new ones. It usually takes about 50 miles before your truck gives you a tpms fault. I find it weird your dealer didn’t know to do the clear and relearn. And no, the horn beep thing wont work either, it has to be done by a dealer, been there, done that. Your truck will continue to try to find your old sensors until you have them cleared out and the new ones programmed to your truck.
If this is true, I am greatly dismayed. I haven't bought a set of 20" wheels yet, but I was seriously considering it. I ordered my truck with 18s. I won't be too bummed if I stick with the 18s, which I would do if it really is that much hassle to switch tire sets, each with its own TPMS sensors. Again, I've got a bit to learn.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:24 AM
INTP
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I downloaded the Forscan software and disabled my tire pressure monitoring system all together. Have you all considered doing this too? I also disabled the seat belt chime and a couple other things.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 AM
HST
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I bought a set from a guy that got a 2019 F250. I just installed them and they have always worked just fine. I did not have to do the reset process either.

If I recall, the manual reset was something like drive the truck for 2 min at 20+ mph. Shut the truck off and them move key to the on position (without starting) position and hit the hazard light button off and on three times in ten seconds. The truck should honk and be in learn mode and say something on the dash. Then start with your drivers side front tire and work clockwise around the truck. I think I had to air down 10 psi or so before the computer would pick up the sensor and honk a time or two I can't remember. The entire process takes 5 minutes or so.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 AM
whagen
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The truck does not know what location each tire is in (there is only one reader/receiver and each TPMS has a unique code) unless you go through the relearn procedure. The relearn procedure it what teaches the truck what position each tire is in. Rotate your tires without doing the relearn and everything works fine except the location where they are on the truck (IE, the front left tire reading on the dash actually be one of the other tires, depends on how you rotated the tires).

The relearn procedure is in the manual, it's easy to follow but a bit of pain in the butt to do since it requires you to drop the tire pressure to 40 psi (i think) to trigger the sensor. (pull the valve core to drop the pressure quickly). then you need to air up all the tires after you are done (better have a decent compressor handy).

I am not sure if a tool can be used as on my old Explorer. Putting a strong magnet near the valve stem was needed to activate the sensor for its relearn. Based on how the procedure is for the newer Super Duty's I don't think this will work.

Quick Reply: TPMS?