Why do I need a leveling kit? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why do I need a leveling kit?

Old 11-17-2018, 09:50 AM
MPNX2
Freshman User
MPNX2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Clubwagon View Post
Heck, trucks are supposed to have some rake. I think they look like trucks with a little rake. And its high enough without the level kit.

My F250 and 24' car hauler loaded to about 9K lbs. Note there is no WDH.

Thats the exact trailer I have. I think!

Old 11-17-2018, 10:22 AM
willynilly
Senior User
willynilly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 7591250sd View Post
If you use your SD as a actual 'truck', screw the leveling, spend your money on worthwhile toolbox etc, if you want to impress the mall rats - your choice..
yep. hek with level. take the money and get something useful like front locker or better tires

Old 11-17-2018, 11:40 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Davparks2 View Post
I would not jump to the conclusion that everyone that levels a truck is a mall crawler. No one needs a level kit, I agree, but it can do more then just looks.
You said yourself that no one needs a level kit. In reality, your mod was a suspension kit to meet the needs of how you use your truck. That's fine. You actually had a need for additional capability. Being able to "level" it is a by-product.

Please note that my initial comment was in no way being critical of people who "level" their trucks. Its their truck, they can do what they want with it. I said; "no one needs a level kit". That implies they have a want for one, which is different from "need". If that makes them happy then what business is it of mine? They have every right to make their truck look silly.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by MPNX2 View Post
Thats the exact trailer I have. I think!

That style trailer is sold under several brand names. Mine is a 2018 Diamond Cargo. Its not fancy but a great trailer anyway. Tows beautifully. Very functional.

When I was trailer shopping, to replace my previous Pace, I kept looking at the ATCs, InTech, etc... and just couldn't justify the 2X to 3x price difference. If the gross trailer weight was gong to be pushing the truck's GCWR then it might have been worth further consideration but this trailer is just under 9K lbs with my usual load and the truck pulls it effortlessly. So there wasn't much justification for the extra expense. But then a month after buying the trailer I spent way more than that buying a new $60K truck.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:22 PM
RAY1969
Junior User
RAY1969 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Clubwagon, I like the idea that I might not need the WDH (I have an Equilizer with 4pt anti-sway) for weight distribution, but what about sway? Have you had any problems? My 30 ft trailer is about the same weight (probably around 8500lbs loaded) but I've got more side surface for any wind to act on and lots of mountains hills with curves and windy conditions.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:30 PM
CPP91
New User
CPP91 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I absolutely recommend the sway control. I pull a 28' car hauler with a crappy WD hitch and separate friction sway controller that came with the trailer. I've never weighted, but assume I'm ~11k loaded. Without the sway control, passing trucks can be extremely sketchy. If I crank down on it, there's absolutely no drama. Planning to replace the hitch this winter with one that has integrated sway control.
Also, thank you for your service.
Cliff (USNA '91)

Old 11-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RAY1969 View Post
Clubwagon, I like the idea that I might not need the WDH (I have an Equilizer with 4pt anti-sway) for weight distribution, but what about sway? Have you had any problems? My 30 ft trailer is about the same weight (probably around 8500lbs loaded) but I've got more side surface for any wind to act on and lots of mountains hills with curves and windy conditions.

I have had no problems with sway with my trailer. I do notice how the trailer steers the rear of the truck when passing 18 wheelers. Its certainly not a problem, its noticeable as the truck drifts slightly toward the center line and then straightens out.

I have towed lots of bigger trailers with mine and other trucks over many years. If you are towing a 28' or longer I would surely get sway control. That's a big increase in surface area and leverage on the truck. You might be OK but that's the last thing I would want to find out the hard way I needed.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:17 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy View Post
People don't use their trucks for trucks anymore...groceries and soccer ***** aren't heavy. Therefore, people don't like the look of the factory rake...
Bingo. The factory rake looks ridiculous. Mine came with a 3.5 inch rake. No thanks.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:13 PM
txsd
Junior User
txsd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam View Post
Bingo. The factory rake looks ridiculous. Mine came with a 3.5 inch rake. No thanks.
That's a ton of rake, you must have the high capacity tow package, camper package, something else? I have the high capacity tow package and would expect more rake, but mine seems to be just over 2 inch is all. I want to level the front, but I'm not sure yet if the look I want will require a 1.5 or 2 inch kit. I am pretty sure the 2.5 inch will be too much. Sorry OP, a little OT.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:27 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by txsd View Post
That's a ton of rake, you must have the high capacity tow package, camper package, something else? I have the high capacity tow package and would expect more rake, but mine seems to be just over 2 inch is all. I want to level the front, but I'm not sure yet if the look I want will require a 1.5 or 2 inch kit. I am pretty sure the 2.5 inch will be too much. Sorry OP, a little OT.
No packages at all. That's just how it came. I added a 2 inch BDS level and now its only 1.5 inch of rake. I wish I had gone with a 2.5 inch level to be honest but I'm not going to change it out now lol

Old 11-24-2018, 03:35 PM
PatsfanTN
Senior User
PatsfanTN is starting off with a positive reputation.

totally agree

Old 11-24-2018, 03:52 PM
slip knot
Senior User
slip knot is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm usually not one to mod a suspension unless it for a specific function. BUT I notice anytime I slow down or stop in the rain there is a ton of water that comes off the roof and across the windshield. Will levelling the truck keep that from happening or is it just something to get used to on these trucks? even a light drizzle and it will collect enough to cycle the wipers at each stop.

I'm actually considering a levelling kit to fix that.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:58 PM
txsd
Junior User
txsd is starting off with a positive reputation.
No packages at all. That's just how it came. I added a 2 inch BDS level and now its only 1.5 inch of rake. I wish I had gone with a 2.5 inch level to be honest but I'm not going to change it out now lol
Do you have pics of your truck from side? Curious what 2 inches on a factory 3.5 inch rake looks like.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:39 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
7591250sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Leveling for performance reasons makes sense, but when someone says a truck with rake looks dumb, I'll just laugh at 'dumb' comments..

Old 11-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Blue6.2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is a personal preference thing. Not cool to tell others how stupid it is that they leveled their truck or didn't level. If you tow heavy all the time it's probably not the best idea to level because the tongue weight of the trailer will do the leveling. Or in cases like mine I only tow heavy about 10% of the time and I prefer the look of a leveled truck with larger tires. Do what ever your heart desires, it's your truck and your money!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.