2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

What are the odds...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:36 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by orion250
If you had ever experienced it, I think you would have a different take on it. Experienced it in my 99 Land Rover Discovery, scary as hell!!! You literally have to almost come to a stop before the wobble stops. When your just cruising down the Interstate and hit an expansion joint and your car starts shaking violently all of a sudden and won't stop, it scares the crap out of you!
Nope...no 'death wobble' in my vehicles but I've had a tank slapper on a motorcycle. Now that will get your attention real quick!

Old 11-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Boilermaker374
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Hjabernathy
I have a 2019 F-350 4x4 CCLB 6.7L on order to arrive in December. I am VERY concerned about the problem with these models termed DEATH WOBBLE (DW) by people who own the trucks and have experienced it. Ford has termed it "sustained steering wheel oscillation" (SSWO). I'll refrain from saying what I want to about that 'sugar coated' label.

I have been doing a lot of reading about this problem. I will be putting the finishing touches on a detailed summary of my readings soon. In the meantime, it appears to me that Ford has NOT solved the DW/SSWO problem through the 2018 model year. And I don't believe that the 2019's have been on the road long enough, as in accumulating the common number of miles before it happens, to determine if, more like WHEN, they'll experience it. Contrary to some people's opinions, I see no confirming evidence that TSB 18-2268, Ford's designated solution to the problem, has been effective. In too many cases it hasn't even mitigated the problem, which I fear is all that Ford is hoping they can achieve. I'll save you the trouble of looking up the definition of the word 'mitigate' - make less severe, serious or painful. On the contrary, too many owners have reported re-occurrence of DW/SSWO after implementation of the repairs contained in the TSB.

I would like to believe that a problem such as DW/SSWO can be corrected such that it is completely solved. I would certainly like to have confidence that mechanical automotive engineers can develop an understanding of the cause of the problem so that they can create a definitive solution. I am not convinced that this has occurred to date. Ford's TSB addresses only two things - the steering linkage damper (what some call a steering stabilizer I believe, essentially a shock absorber across the front of the steering system) and caster adjustment. On the other hand, Super Duty truck owners and Ford mechanics have discovered several other issues with the front end and steering linkage. More than one owner has been told by a service advisor (you ain't usually allowed to talk to the mechanic) after examination of their Super Duty following the occurrence of DW/SSWO that "the TIE-ROD BALL JOINTS are shot at 8,000 miles or the DRAG LINK connections are loose or the TRACK BAR connections are loose and/or worn out." And still too many truck owners re-experience DW/SSWO after the TSB and/or several of these other things are implemented, replaced and repaired. I truly wish I were an engineer capable of evaluating all the mechanical elements that make up a Ford Super Duty front end. I desire even more that I could then develop a solution to the horrifying, and soon-to-be devastating and disastrous, occurrence of Death Wobble and Sustained Steering Wheel Oscillation.

I certainly hope that the problem does not exacerbate into the disastrous results of the last major problem that Ford, in conjunction with Firestone/Bridgestone, encountered before they were forced to figure out the nature of the problem. About 20 years ago there were a multitude of rollover accidents caused by tires blowing out. In this disastrous period, "Two hundred and seventy one people were killed and 823 people were injured in the United States as a result of these failures.[51] The large majority of accidents took place in California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida. An additional 46 people were killed in Venezuela. A large number of lawsuits were filed against both Ford and Firestone." Here's a link to a very detailed story on this disastrous debacle if you care to read about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firest...re_controversy.

For those of you who think this is blowing the DW/SSWO problem out of proportion, consider that there has been one reported significant injury to a driver's shoulder that required surgery to repair, this instance being reported in October 2018 to the NHTSA. Of greater concern, the number of close calls and near misses are accumulating at a frightening pace. Drivers are telling stories of their trucks "jumping" across multiple lanes", "swerving off the road and ending up in a ditch 40 to 50 feet off the roadway", "steering wheels jerking side-to-side with such force that only a strong man could hang on" and the one I have come to like the best - "I am NOT letting my wife drive this dangerous truck." That last one would be funny if the reason wasn't so serious. It greatly disturbs me to say the following given the truck that I am soon to be driving, but it is only a matter of time before fatalities occur. Lest you doubt this dire forecast, take the time to read the reports in the following link, most of which are best described as horrifying: Ford F-350 general Steering Problems - part 1.

Now I'm sure that there will be multitudes of Ford devotees who will chime in and defend the company against my protestations that the company has NOT identified the cause of the problem, has not developed a solution, and most certainly is not interested in alerting the public, particularly Super Duty truck owners, of this seriously dangerous potential problem. Consider the huge number of Super Duty truck owners who do not read this forum; they are most likely in the dark. I certainly would be if I had not stumbled across this forum during my research on 3/4 and 1-ton trucks. I doubt that Ford is placing WARNING STICKERS on the visors such as they do for other things that are much less dangerous to one's well being.

I for one hope that my truck, and me or my wife, never experiences DW/SSWO. The existing evidence strongly suggests that it is not something that afflicts every Super Duty truck. So maybe we'll be fortunate. At the least, we will know what is happening and how best to survive it should it rear its ugly head IN OUR FACES.
Well now I don't know about the rest of ya'll but me being a red neck uneducated SD owner, I sure do preciate you taken the time to explain the meaning of "MITIGATE" hope I spelled that right and am looking forward to your summary post and help with any text that's not in simple form.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Bombero
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hjabernathy, I appreciate your message. I think you made some very good points. I feel bad that a few replies are sarcastic and minimize an issue that seems to be rare and infrequent, but is potentially dangerous.

I’m not afraid of driving a new truck. But I’ll be really pissed if I fork over big money for a 2019, just to encounter an issue and have a service advisor tell me there’s nothing wrong with the vehicle. I’d feel better if Ford could come up with a definitive explanation and solution.

I’m a few months away from ordering a truck. Hopefully Ford will come up with some answers in that time.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:08 PM
ponyboy96
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve got a 2018. No death wobble yet. I do have a slight shimmy in the steering wheel when driving over 70mph. I have a feeling it’s just a matter of time before I experience it. Truck has 12k miles and has had the shimmy since new.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I got the Death Wobble on my 2011 at 36,000 miles, Fixed it with a new Steering Dampener.
It returned again at 100,000 miles. New steering Dampener, new tires and new front hubs fixed it the second time.

My 2015 truck went 100,000 miles with no DW
My current 2017 truck is currently at 35,000 miles with no DW.

It's not something I worry about. Drive the truck and if it rears it's ugly head, replace the worn out parts.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:44 PM
Bombero
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ponyboy96
I’ve got a 2018. No death wobble yet. I do have a slight shimmy in the steering wheel when driving over 70mph. I have a feeling it’s just a matter of time before I experience it. Truck has 12k miles and has had the shimmy since new.
Ponyboy, I won’t be happy with a shimmy above 70 mph! I understand these are 3/4 ton work trucks but out here in the west, we have many highways with posted speed limits of 75. Which means if you’re under 80, you’re getting your *** ran off the road!

if my dealer tells me to live with a shimmy that forces me to drive at least 5-10 mph under the posted speed limit, I’m not happy.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:49 PM
ponyboy96
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bombero

Ponyboy, I won’t be happy with a shimmy above 70 mph! I understand these are 3/4 ton work trucks but out here in the west, we have many highways with posted speed limits of 75. Which means if you’re under 80, you’re getting your *** ran off the road!

if my dealer tells me to live with a shimmy that forces me to drive at least 5-10 mph under the posted speed limit, I’m not happy.
Agree. 70 is the speed limit here and it’s just a suggestion. Better be doing 80. I’m not sure if mine is a tire balance issue or something else. I need to take it in. I already replaced the steering dampener with a fox unit. It helped, but didn’t remove it entirely. Unloaded I don’t have a shake, towing one on my trailers I have the shake and vibration. No issues towing my boat. It’s an odd one and difficult to reproduce.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:23 PM
TXKR0317
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 6.7 F250 KR levelled with 50,990 miles... no death wobble... ever.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Timtanium
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hjabernathy
I have a 2019 F-350 4x4 CCLB 6.7L on order to arrive in December. I am VERY concerned about the problem with these models termed DEATH WOBBLE (DW) by people who own the trucks and have experienced it. Ford has termed it "sustained steering wheel oscillation" (SSWO). I'll refrain from saying what I want to about that 'sugar coated' label.

I have been doing a lot of reading about this problem. I will be putting the finishing touches on a detailed summary of my readings soon. In the meantime, it appears to me that Ford has NOT solved the DW/SSWO problem through the 2018 model year. And I don't believe that the 2019's have been on the road long enough, as in accumulating the common number of miles before it happens, to determine if, more like WHEN, they'll experience it. Contrary to some people's opinions, I see no confirming evidence that TSB 18-2268, Ford's designated solution to the problem, has been effective. In too many cases it hasn't even mitigated the problem, which I fear is all that Ford is hoping they can achieve. I'll save you the trouble of looking up the definition of the word 'mitigate' - make less severe, serious or painful. On the contrary, too many owners have reported re-occurrence of DW/SSWO after implementation of the repairs contained in the TSB.

I would like to believe that a problem such as DW/SSWO can be corrected such that it is completely solved. I would certainly like to have confidence that mechanical automotive engineers can develop an understanding of the cause of the problem so that they can create a definitive solution. I am not convinced that this has occurred to date. Ford's TSB addresses only two things - the steering linkage damper (what some call a steering stabilizer I believe, essentially a shock absorber across the front of the steering system) and caster adjustment. On the other hand, Super Duty truck owners and Ford mechanics have discovered several other issues with the front end and steering linkage. More than one owner has been told by a service advisor (you ain't usually allowed to talk to the mechanic) after examination of their Super Duty following the occurrence of DW/SSWO that "the TIE-ROD BALL JOINTS are shot at 8,000 miles or the DRAG LINK connections are loose or the TRACK BAR connections are loose and/or worn out." And still too many truck owners re-experience DW/SSWO after the TSB and/or several of these other things are implemented, replaced and repaired. I truly wish I were an engineer capable of evaluating all the mechanical elements that make up a Ford Super Duty front end. I desire even more that I could then develop a solution to the horrifying, and soon-to-be devastating and disastrous, occurrence of Death Wobble and Sustained Steering Wheel Oscillation.

I certainly hope that the problem does not exacerbate into the disastrous results of the last major problem that Ford, in conjunction with Firestone/Bridgestone, encountered before they were forced to figure out the nature of the problem. About 20 years ago there were a multitude of rollover accidents caused by tires blowing out. In this disastrous period, "Two hundred and seventy one people were killed and 823 people were injured in the United States as a result of these failures.[51] The large majority of accidents took place in California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida. An additional 46 people were killed in Venezuela. A large number of lawsuits were filed against both Ford and Firestone." Here's a link to a very detailed story on this disastrous debacle if you care to read about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firest...re_controversy.

For those of you who think this is blowing the DW/SSWO problem out of proportion, consider that there has been one reported significant injury to a driver's shoulder that required surgery to repair, this instance being reported in October 2018 to the NHTSA. Of greater concern, the number of close calls and near misses are accumulating at a frightening pace. Drivers are telling stories of their trucks "jumping" across multiple lanes", "swerving off the road and ending up in a ditch 40 to 50 feet off the roadway", "steering wheels jerking side-to-side with such force that only a strong man could hang on" and the one I have come to like the best - "I am NOT letting my wife drive this dangerous truck." That last one would be funny if the reason wasn't so serious. It greatly disturbs me to say the following given the truck that I am soon to be driving, but it is only a matter of time before fatalities occur. Lest you doubt this dire forecast, take the time to read the reports in the following link, most of which are best described as horrifying: Ford F-350 general Steering Problems - part 1.

Now I'm sure that there will be multitudes of Ford devotees who will chime in and defend the company against my protestations that the company has NOT identified the cause of the problem, has not developed a solution, and most certainly is not interested in alerting the public, particularly Super Duty truck owners, of this seriously dangerous potential problem. Consider the huge number of Super Duty truck owners who do not read this forum; they are most likely in the dark. I certainly would be if I had not stumbled across this forum during my research on 3/4 and 1-ton trucks. I doubt that Ford is placing WARNING STICKERS on the visors such as they do for other things that are much less dangerous to one's well being.

I for one hope that my truck, and me or my wife, never experiences DW/SSWO. The existing evidence strongly suggests that it is not something that afflicts every Super Duty truck. So maybe we'll be fortunate. At the least, we will know what is happening and how best to survive it should it rear its ugly head IN OUR FACES.
I think it's a serious issue and I'm sure they are monitoring and working on continued improvements above and beyond the TSB. However, you don't have much more than anecdotal evidence that the recommended adjustments and changes to newer models haven't made a significant improvements, nor do you offer any actual data on frequency of occurence. You also seem to imply that other solid front axle vehicles don't have similar problems. I would be very interested to look at the real data and compare solid front axle vehicles across makes, models, and features. Otherwise, this is really just an emotional discussion.

Just wondering, why did you buy the truck if you feel so strongly that Ford is producing a subpar product and responding inadequately, especially if it's regarding the safety of your family, as you specifically mention?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Faceplant409
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I’ve had my 18 for 10 months and 10k.
3k ago I lowered rear end with 5* taper blocks.
285/65/20 BFGs.
No wobble. I drive 80mph for 30 mi daily.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:59 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,730 Likes on 1,328 Posts
Originally Posted by ponyboy96

Same here.