where do I start? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

where do I start?

Old 11-11-2018, 09:24 PM
Ryan Lewis
New User
Ryan Lewis is starting off with a positive reputation.
where do I start?

I just bought a 08 f450 king ranch guy traded in. Owned a few 7.3s fixed from everyoneís help. Well at a loss on this one it will not do anything with key turned not anti theft did notice odometer reads nothing but if I jump the starter at the wire by battery it fires right up... next guy said it needs engine from my reading hoping maybe some rockerarms broke or something runs ruff af but more of a lobe coming from top of engine than a knock to me so any advise on what to do here would be much appreciated itís throwing tons of codes ,P246C,p2463,po405,po272,po263,po308,p1335,p1000 also has a edge programmer on it and the guy said it has set for 2 years so yay idk where to start was planning on pulling valve covers and looking when I get time.. posting videos and pics of it will let me thanks guys

Old 11-12-2018, 09:56 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Drain the oil, measure how much you drained. Refill with good oil

0308. Do a compression test. If 0 the engine is toast. And you should stop. Did some already do this test and tell you this?

if compression test is good....for the 246c - remove the dpf and have it cleaned, replaced, or if you want to invest in a few gallons of parts cleaner you could soak it using a tall kitchen trash can . Soak it for a few days.

the 0405 is a common problem on the 08ís . Start buy buying a new #3 egt sensor

You are in reduced power mode becuase of the dpf. The 0273 and 0263 could be the root cuase. This could be clogged injectors, worn rocker tips, dropped rocker ball, bent push rods, lifter problems, can lobe problems. If the compression test checks out ok, you can try to clean the injectors by removing the engine bay fuel filter cover, pour 2 ounces of injector cleaner in the bowl, reassemble, turn it over a few times, repeat until you use up the bottle of cleaner. If this does. It work, likey to be a valve train mechanical problem.

the 1000 is a simple drive cycle

clear the above up before dealing with the 2403 and 1335

the compression test is the critical step. You are wasting your time on this engine if it fails the compression test.

was this running when you bought it or is this a barn yard dog that you are thinking about buying.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Ryan Lewis
New User
Thanks

i bought it work at a dealership a guy traded it in said it started acting like this he parked it been there a couple years so I took it on trade and bought from the dealership at a super low price. So no test have been done dude just assumed and thanks Iíll run a compression on each cylinder then take a look under valve cover.. thanks so much just gave me all the guidance I needed I didnít know where to start Iíll keep posting as I do stuff once again thanks

Old 11-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Ryan Lewis
New User
?

whatd the best to do a compression test pull the glow plugs and run each one there? Sorry for the slow question all this is new to me

Old 11-12-2018, 02:15 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
I wouldnít rush into pulling valve covers if there is a hole in the #8 piston.

i certainly would not pull valve covers with a clogged DPF

Old 11-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Ryan Lewis
New User
O I was thinking check compression then look at cable so I should clean dpf and get before messing with valve Iíd say something def wrong sounds horrible buddys a Nissan mechanic knows nothing about desires but thinks the injectors gone so if u think clean dpf first I will honestly was gonna do a dpf and egr delete but didnít want to waste the money if the motors shot I think lifters rockers etc I can fix but valves or cam line messed up is past my level of fixing

Old 11-12-2018, 05:58 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Check compression on the #8 cylinder

if it passes....clean the dpf to take it out of reduce power mode

try to clean the injectors before doin valve train sugery

check to make sure you oil is not fuel contaminated.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:37 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
New one on me. I'm a Land survey guy. I see this kid driving an 08 sd diesel. He's hauling a 18 ft dump trailer going down a power line.

I saw him pulling the same rig last week and he said his truck was constantly in regen. I told him I had spare egt sens if he wanted to see if that was the problem.

In front of my eyes, he went over a stump and wrapped the entire exhaust under his rear axle from the dpf back.

Including the sensors 2 and 3.

Truck had no codes, ran better as per him, and no more regen with a straight thru exhaust. Sounded like a prison alarm, but notably, it ran very smooth.

JS

Denny

Old 11-12-2018, 07:25 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
With straight pipe only the default 600 mile regen will occur.

with straight pipe....that will look like a flame thrower.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
I see him oddly in the forest. I should let him know.

So with out the dpf, and no tune it will still regen, even if not commanded?

He strait piped after that, haven't seen him since. He's probably toast lol. (and I don't think he replaced the sensors.)

Thanx Fritz

Denny

Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
BTW, I didn't look at his dash for SES.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:00 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Yes, straight pipe with out dpf delete programming and it will regen every 600 miles.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:08 PM
Ryan Lewis
New User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
I wouldnít rush into pulling valve covers if there is a hole in the #8 piston.

i certainly would not pull valve covers with a clogged DPF

sorry for the delayed response work kept me from missing with it. Ok so passed compression test so while I had time I pulled the driver valve cover off and the rocker arm bridge was completely off laying in the cover #4 and #8 bridge is really loose and floppy Iím going to buy a new rocker arm assembly and push rods is there anything else I need to get while at this point ? Also drained out no metal in filter or anywhere, and last question how do I crank it or turn it over with with the cover off I tried and fuel went everywhere and I canít hook the fuel cooler or whatever up cause it goes over the valve cover so at a lose there how do I do this

Old 11-19-2018, 11:02 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
you are going to need to down load the manual to get the proper rocker torque procedure and the correct torque and tolerances.

Originally Posted by Ryan Lewis View Post
Ok so passed compression test so while I had time I pulled the driver valve cover off and the rocker arm bridge was completely off laying in the cover #4 and #8 bridge is really loose and floppy Iím going to buy a new rocker arm assembly and push rods is there anything else I need to get while at this point ?

you are going to do both sides, complete rocker assy, push rods, and saddle bridges? correct
you know you have to replace the 1 time use fuel lines to the injectors...these have to be removed in order to pull the rockers. you will need a crows foot socket to drag torque the fuel lines correctly. if not done right, they will leak. also, when you re-assemble the fuel lines, partially install the injector side (seated but not torqued..should be able to move), turn up the line and get a syringe and squirt some fuel into the line so that the injectors will be primed...then follow the correct fuel line install procedure.

Originally Posted by Ryan Lewis View Post
last question how do I crank it or turn it over with with the cover off I tried and fuel went everywhere and I canít hook the fuel cooler or whatever up cause it goes over the valve cover so at a lose there how do I do this
why do you need to do this and you should not try to crank a dry fuel system as the HPFP is lubed using fuel and dry cranking will cause fuel pump wear which will be very expensive to fix. when everything is reassembled , do the 6 cycle of the fuel pump on and off procedure (with key on but not in start mode...go to the shreader valve on fuel cooler and push the pin until fuel comes out...do the 6 on (for 20 seconds each on) an off cycle after you blead the shreader valve.

if you have not ordered the push rods yet, you should buy the stage 1 chrome moly rods a few folks sell. brand does not matter as long as they are stage 1. stage 1's have thicker tube walls and will not bend.

there is a procedure to rotate the crank to do rocker torque. this is to prevent a lifter that is pressurized with oil from bending a rod.. If you have trouble with this procedure as I did, my crank would not turn by hand....you will have to let the lifters bleed their oil....what I did was to partially install all the rockers, rods, saddles, enough to keep everything in place. then I went thru and snugged all the bolts evenly rotating across all the bolts on both sides ....when I felt the bolts get just start to get tight. I stopped on each bolt. I let the rockers sit for 15 minutes. Then started to torque them 1 at a time starting with 10 , waiting 15 minute, upping the torque wrench another 10...tighten each bolt...wait 15 more minutes...repeat until you get to your final torque. This way the oil bleeds out of the lifters and you don't bend a push rod. if you can manually turn the crank....that is the preferred procedure.

when I removed my oil fill unit (which has the case vent) I cracked the line that goes from the case vent to the block (this is a oil recovery line). I had to trim both ends and install a rubber hose with clamps on both sides. check that.

you never answered my question about if you have a seal or spacer on your engine that goes into the holes on the valve cover where the fuel line to the fuel rail goes thru. mine did not have one and I am getting smoke on both sides thru this hole. the next time I take my cover off, Im going to invent some kind of seal. if yours has a seal or spacer can you post a pic so I can investigate.

go down to autozone or what ever parts store you use and by some assembly lube and put the lube on all the tips, saddles, both ends of push rods, etc.

also, you have to do something about your clogged cat converter....its going to go right into wrench mode if you do not resolve and your going to think your rocker job got all screwed up. I would pull the DPF and soak it in solvent for a few days using a plastic kitchen trash can. you can buy a few gallons of parts cleaner, use diesel, kerosene, etc. I would not use gasoline as that is very combustible. or if you can find someone that does it...you can send it out to have it baked. or buy a new or used one.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Ryan Lewis
New User
Thanks for all the help and with the dpf etc Iím just buying full deletes but didnít want to spend the 1000 if the motor was toady was gonna wholesale the truck but where Iím at see if this works and Iíll buy deletes, and thanks I knew the injectors etc but didnít know the fuel lines honestly gonna try without replacing they are a few hundred that I donít have and was gonna do the whole driver side bridge rocker assembly and pushrods, then when more money do the pass side

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: