HELP! FRONT LEFT FRAME HORN - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

HELP! FRONT LEFT FRAME HORN

Old 11-09-2018, 03:27 AM
rustlust
New User
rustlust is starting off with a positive reputation.
HELP! FRONT LEFT FRAME HORN

Hello everyone! so ive spent the last 3 mo working on semi-restoring the 2000 Super Duty 4x4 7.3 Supercab to be road worthy and now im at the last part the redhead steering box install, I knew the frame was in bad shape up there but when everything was striped away ugh its a lot worse than I thought more rot and cracks than expected all over both sides front to back especially on the inside by rad support where I cant get at it to weld and the section where the bottom bolt for the steering box is cracked and rotted also. I was going to fish pate on both sides but like I said its worse than I thought BUT I do have another good frame horn, should I repair or replace its cut right at the crossmember can I cut weld and fish plate will it withstand the stresses im stuck but I almost feel I have no choice at this point I looked around everywhere and could not find any info on this subject any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Old 11-09-2018, 10:23 AM
FractureCritical
Senior User
FractureCritical is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had this problem in my truck. The frame comes as two sections from the factory. If you look behind the wheels just under the firewall, youíll see a riveted and welded splice right in the frame rails.

I wound up up getting a clean front frame section from Texas shipped to me (the factory part is discontinued).

replacement isnít that hard, either. Put the truck up on blocks behind the front springs, take the wheels off, drop the front spring hangers and let the axle sit on the ground, yank the front two body mounts under the core support, and pull the nuts off the engine mounts, then dangle the engine from a cherry picker.

grinding the welds and drill out the rivets. Takes about a weekend.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:31 PM
rustlust
New User
Thanks for the input but a lot more work than I care to get into im looking to do just the frame horn if its acceptable and has anyone ever done it?

Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 PM
FractureCritical
Senior User
FractureCritical is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rustlust View Post
Thanks for the input but a lot more work than I care to get into im looking to do just the frame horn if its acceptable and has anyone ever done it?
the frame horn supports the front spring mount. I would not mess with half measures on it, and rust rarely exists in just one spot. If youíre feeling adventurous, you can call around and get just a frame horn from a yard and cut fish plates from it for a better fit. There are no flat surfaces on the frame forward of the engine, so thereís not a lot of easy places to do a weld.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:15 AM
rustlust
New User
Thumbs down rotted frame horn is it repairable?

outside view of front left frame horn / steering box mount holes one is not in view furthest from front of truck

inside frame horn at steering box lower mount hole other side of hole spacer is gone

front left inside frame horn rot next to rad support

Old 11-10-2018, 03:17 AM
rustlust
New User
thanks I wish I had more time and space for that mission I will work on that next summer I need a fix to get through the winter

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.