Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Reload this Page >

3 Way Switch Powered By Relay

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 PM
bri687
Senior User
bri687 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a dump trailer with a three way switch powering auxiliary lighting. But now I would also like to tap into my reverse lights on my truck to power a relay to power the aux lights. So is there a way to have a relay to power a three way switch for lights?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I am not sure what you mean by a "3 way" switch. If you have a simple switch that turns the lights on and off, you can add a relay and tie it into the same wire going to the lights after your switch. When you turn the switch on, power will go down the wire to the splice, go on to power the lights and go backwards up to the new relay and do nothing, the relay will be off. If you happen to turn the backup lights on, the relay will send power down the wire also, the two power sources will bump heads, still powering the lights, no harm done.

If you turn the backup lights on, the relay will send power down to the lights, and also backwards up to the switch where it will stop. Same as before, if you happen to turn the switch on at the same time, the power will just be coming from two sources, they will still power the lights.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bri687 View Post
I have a dump trailer with a three way switch powering auxiliary lighting. But now I would also like to tap into my reverse lights on my truck to power a relay to power the aux lights. So is there a way to have a relay to power a three way switch for lights?
I'm confused, since the aux lights already have power, why do you want to add a relay to power lights already powered?

Old 11-09-2018, 01:35 PM
bri687
Senior User
bri687 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
I'm confused, since the aux lights already have power, why do you want to add a relay to power lights already powered?
The lights are turned on by two three way switches built in to the trailer I would like to keep that ability and somehow add a relay to power the lights when i put the truck in reverse.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:26 PM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bri687 View Post
The lights are turned on by two three way switches built in to the trailer I would like to keep that ability and somehow add a relay to power the lights when i put the truck in reverse.
Ah, piece of cake.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.