coolant leak - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

coolant leak

Old 11-06-2018, 01:51 AM
team watters
New User
team watters is starting off with a positive reputation.
coolant leak

Hi all I am new to the site and need help, I have a 2011 6.7 with a coolant leak, I have had it to several ford dealers and some other shops and no one can find it. the main coolant tank is what is always low. Have already checked the radiator and the turbo line has already been replaced. The dealer told us to keep adding coolant and drive it but I want it fixed. they also told us it is not a head gasket?? so does any one have an idea. the truck is stock and the secondary coolant is never low. Bought some dye to try but not hopeful as there is never any visible leak and never smell the the leak either.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:10 AM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Put a new cap on the coolant (degas) bottle; they do go bad. That stopped a mysterious leak for me.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:09 AM
Black2011
New User
Black2011 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is an issue with Ford trucks 2006 to current according to several places in internet search. I have smelled anti freeze inside cab in my 2011 for 5 years. Home dealer said there was no issue they could find but after returning it a couple times they said they changed a radiator to turbo line but I am not sure as smell of anti freeze in cab continued. I travel a lot with work so next dealer said this was normal to just add some coolant occasionally. BS stories a plenty at most ford store service counters. Anyway according to several internet searches I found that body flex issues and bad body/cab bushings can contribute to radiator leaking. I recently had to replace the OEM bushings. Anyway yesterday I took truck in for oil, fuel and air filter change and asked mentioned the anti freeze smell again. The young gentleman servicing my truck came to customer wait room after 10 minutes to have me come look at leak. It is on driver side toward bottom of primary radiator. Again according to internet search after he found this it is very common to these year model trucks. I have an OEM replacement ordered. I was gonna go with Mishimoto if I spelled that correctly but decided against due to several reviews stating they leak soon after install and when leak are not slow leakers like the OEM. Hope this helps and sorry for the "story".

Old 11-11-2018, 08:21 AM
Black2011
New User
Black2011 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It should be noted and I am sure this is not a surprise but Ford has known of these radiator issues and have done nothing that I can find to resolve the issue. I do think the pitiful barely adequate body bushings and body flex attribute to this issue. My truck doors will not open/shut correctly if truck is in parked out of much more than a flat condition. The tailgate surely will not open if any small amount of flex from terrain other than flat parking. The thing that bothers me is that while truck is under warranty the dealers can never find an issue but let the damned thing get out of warranty and it is a cash cow for ford store service shops. My truck is high miles. I like the truck but I have spent some serious cash the past couple years. Some are basic wear items like brakes, hubs, shocks, and body bushings @ (200k). One turbo hose blown while traveling cost me a plenty as breakdown on interstate will always tax the wallet. Ford used to make trucks that last, last and more last but I think those days left with the 2002 model with exception of some 2008-2010s that do seem to hold up well. I will continue using this 2011 but do have my 2000 model dually as reserve.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:20 PM
team watters
New User
radiator and the turbo line was replaced still can not find the leak???????????????????? never smell the antifreeze its always just gone Ford tells me just drive it but putting it up for sale soon, very good condition just highway miles but don't want to keep throwing coolant at it.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:50 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Black2011 View Post
It should be noted and I am sure this is not a surprise but Ford has known of these radiator issues and have done nothing that I can find to resolve the issue. I do think the pitiful barely adequate body bushings and body flex attribute to this issue. My truck doors will not open/shut correctly if truck is in parked out of much more than a flat condition. The tailgate surely will not open if any small amount of flex from terrain other than flat parking. The thing that bothers me is that while truck is under warranty the dealers can never find an issue but let the damned thing get out of warranty and it is a cash cow for ford store service shops. My truck is high miles. I like the truck but I have spent some serious cash the past couple years. Some are basic wear items like brakes, hubs, shocks, and body bushings @ (200k). One turbo hose blown while traveling cost me a plenty as breakdown on interstate will always tax the wallet. Ford used to make trucks that last, last and more last but I think those days left with the 2002 model with exception of some 2008-2010s that do seem to hold up well. I will continue using this 2011 but do have my 2000 model dually as reserve.
..... and where are you getting this information from? For what it's worth, that is the worst model year range for the Ford Super Duty line up with the ever so disastrous 6.4L diesel engine, that preceded the 6.7L diesel that has now been in production for nine model years and counting. And in those nine model years, very few subtle and minor update changes have occurred.

As a Ford dealership technician, I can vouch first hand that my work load has decreased drastically since the release of the 6.7L engine. By the way, those issues you speak of in your post above, I've had my share of them coming through my doorstep, and although probably hard for you to believe, are relatively minor issues in comparison to the EGR/oil cooler, FICM and injector issues of the 6.0L, or the front cover cavitation, high pressure fuel system and numerous other internal engine issues of the time bomb 6.4L trucks.

Now, I find myself busy with Ecoboost engines......

Old 11-11-2018, 01:26 PM
team watters
New User
I agree the 6.7 is a far better engine, mine still has the same power as it did new with very little issues except can not find where the coolant is going. By the way I was well out side of warranty when the radiator went and ford still fixed it for 200. Would buy a new one today except don't wand the aluminum bed just need to find the leak.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:03 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Post Fiend
SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
I dont k ow but I'm sure glad I'm keeping my 2004. Even with the ext cab/170k I can park completely flexed out and all doors open and shut normally as does my tailgate

Old 11-11-2018, 03:01 PM
team watters
New User
I don't have the flex issue on my 2011

Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM
team watters
New User
Hi all I removed the EGR cooler and believe we found the issue clearly the O ring on the end of the cooler had failed. Waiting on the replacement parts and hope this fixed the leak issue, as for all three of the Ford dealers that told me the EGR cooler could not be the issue I say learn you trucks before giving advice. The cooler does use coolant from the main degas as well as from the secondary.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by team watters View Post
Hi all I removed the EGR cooler and believe we found the issue clearly the O ring on the end of the cooler had failed. Waiting on the replacement parts and hope this fixed the leak issue, as for all three of the Ford dealers that told me the EGR cooler could not be the issue I say learn you trucks before giving advice. The cooler does use coolant from the main degas as well as from the secondary.
You might as well replace the EGR cooler core itself if you're in that far. The secondary core tends to clog up with carbon, causing a P0401 EGR flow insufficient DTC to set. Correct, on the 2011 to 2014 model years, this is the lone component that BOTH cooling systems pass through. For the very reason mentioned regarding the carbon issue, 2015 and later model years have been updated where only the primary cooling system now cool the EGR gases passing through the cores.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Flexing...was never an issue. My 08 one of the first years with the 6.4 never had a radiator replaced.

Change the degas bottle cap.

Take it to a competent tech that will check for exhaust gases in the degas bottle.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:56 PM
team watters
New User
already ordered the core and yes it was also clogged

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.