1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Flat tow an 1986 E350 camper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Pretty convoluted thread.
Looked to me like the discussion was about flat towing with the driveshaft pulled and rear axle assembly intact. In which case, everything inside would still be spinning and lubrication would not be an issue. It doesn't make any sense to me to take the axles out just to tow it.....
No more convoluted than most. The OP asked about flat towing, stating (in post #2) that the driveshaft would be pulled. Then jbwheels asked about pulling the axles instead of the driveshaft so that separate question was addressed.

And to your earlier post, yes, everything else in the axle is spinning and there's no issue... if the axle shafts were not pulled. But my post was addressing what if you pull the axle shafts.

What we're all saying is "don't pull the axle shafts."

Old 11-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Number4
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks everyone for their input. Guy was going to trailer it but said he’d flat tow it. I was concerned he was going to do so fairly quick. So wanted to know if it would cause damage.

It’s 1k for the RV (with 40k miles on it and new tires) and the delivery.

If it happens, which I’m beginning to doubt.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well then I stand corrected.
$1000 total may not be out of line for a worthwhile project.
A buddy of mine drove one home a couple of hundred miles for $750. RV was gutted except the driver cockpit area but the 460 ran great.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:39 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
Flat tow is dangerous, a friend had both of his vehicles damaged when a blowout on the towed vehicle caused it to come around and contact the one pulling.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:24 PM
TomsBeast
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've 'flat towed' (on four wheels, with a towbar) a lot of vehicles thousands of miles (Air-cooled VW's, Toyota Mr2 5spd, Suzuki Samurai 5spd). Nothing with an automatic, but everything I've read says to not tow with an auto more than 45mph across town, because of the internal oil pump not being backdriven by the output shaft, needing the engine to turn in order to pump oil to the spinning internal parts.

Leaking oil: I'm not certain about the Ford C6 automatic, but with a non-flanged output shaft transmission used on most early American V8's, once you remove the driveshaft from the transmission's tailshaft housing (the driveshaft just slides out), the tailshaft leaks transmission fluid.

Something to check out before flat towing.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:38 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by TomsBeast
...everything I've read says to not tow with an auto more than 45mph across town, because of the internal oil pump not being backdriven by the output shaft, needing the engine to turn in order to pump oil to the spinning internal parts.
Not to quibble but the speed a flat-towed automatic transmission isn't an issue--its the fact the front pump cannot/does not turn when the transmission is driven from the output side---this is where damage occurs.

But I will repeat don't flat tow ANY vehicle without first disconnecting the driveshaft!!

Originally Posted by TomsBeast
Leaking oil: I'm not certain about the Ford C6 automatic, but with a non-flanged output shaft transmission used on most early American V8's, once you remove the driveshaft from the transmission's tailshaft housing (the driveshaft just slides out), the tailshaft leaks transmission fluid.
Very correct---when I've flat-towed something I simply disconnected the rear u-joint from the differential leaving the driveshaft still in the transmission case.. I'd secure the driveshaft to the frame with ratchet straps to the frame, placing them so they held the driveshaft in the transmission.