Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No response on accelerator pedal

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:27 PM
jackstraw
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No response on accelerator pedal

Truck has been running fine. Fuel, oil, electrical all good. Can start it and idle all I want. But can’t make the RPMs go up.

Just wondering what possibilities exist beyond these...

Broken switch on pedal mechanism? (That already happened with the now 19 year old brake pedal).

Mouse chewed through wire somewhere? (Routine mice problems where I am at this time of year)

Worn out CPS?

Only other symptom to report is that mashing the pedal will make the “Service Engine Soon” light come on briefly. I have never seen it turn on before tonight.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Have you pulled the pedal,unhooked the IVS & TPS and inspected everything?

Old 10-24-2018, 09:03 AM
jackstraw
Tuned
Haven’t done anything yet; truck is out in the woods, 3 miles away.

I am thinking problem in the electronics; if the switch on the pedal, or a wire, was broken some other part of the system would not know to turn on the Service Engine light.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:17 AM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 02 blows the throttle fuse when the overdrive button on the end of the shifter is touched. Fuse 40 or 42? maybe Try that first.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:27 AM
jackstraw
Tuned
Starting on my research in old threads...

If I recall last night correctly, all the gauges were working. Many incidents over the years included loss of gauges.

Culprits include

- failed position sensor in the pedal assembly

- blown fuse

- but blown fuse likely caused by wire issue including known problem in harness running through steering column

So my next step seems to be figgerin Failed Sensor vs. Bad Wire. Pulling some codes is not an option here. Anyone who could do that is scheduling stuff 1-2 weeks out right now and is about an hour away.

I will check the fuse in a couple hours (3 mile walk). I am leaning towards Failed Sensor, cuz gauges fine ... except Chafed Wire makes some sense too, cuz -

One other symptom I can report is just lately the Low Fuel light will come on at start, when tank is far above Low. Hadn’t thought much about it, cuz the sensor in the tank has been wobbly for a while and is just basically unreliable below 1/8 tank. Not hard to live with that. But lately if the Low Fuel light comes on @ start (not consistently), touching the brake pedal makes it go off....Gremlins

Old 10-24-2018, 09:36 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Forscan or Torque pro are free, you just need the adapter. Then you can pull codes

Old 10-24-2018, 10:00 AM
jackstraw
Tuned
I don’t have any scan tool of any kind.

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor (I read that term is from gas engines and is more accurately called Accelerator or Pedal Position Sensor in the 7.3 design).

Anyhow, what is IVS ?

It looks like the pedal assembly is a complete replacement option - more than one sensor built into it?

I am low on “data” on my phone for a couple more days right now and will be throttled (oh, the irony) on download speeds if I go over. So I haven’t checked a couple videos yet. I am wondering how hard of a switch-out the pedal assembly is, and also what the steering column wire harness accessibility is like too. Everything would be done out on-site - where there is no cell service.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:16 AM
jackstraw
Tuned
Here is the thread you need for anyone stumbling across this one:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-help-pls.html

It includes a link to an excellent write-up on fixing a chafed wire in the steering column.

I am thinking a blown fuse will indicate Bad Wire; intact fuse will indicate Bad Sensor.

Heading on down that dusty trail now. The road goes on forever and the party never ends, drivin one of these trucks.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jackstraw

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor (I read that term is from gas engines and is more accurately called Accelerator or Pedal Position Sensor in the 7.3 design).

Anyhow, what is IVS ?

It looks like the pedal assembly is a complete replacement option - more than one sensor built into it?

I am low on “data” on my phone for a couple more days right now and will be throttled (oh, the irony) on download speeds if I go over. So I haven’t checked a couple videos yet. I am wondering how hard of a switch-out the pedal assembly is, and also what the steering column wire harness accessibility is like too. Everything would be done out on-site - where there is no cell service.
‘The pedal assembly is two electrical connections (IVS & TPS) and 3 bolts and the whole thing comes out. The IVS is the idle validation switch which is located on the pedal assembly and can NOT be purchased by itself unlike the TPS. The pedal assembly runs $278 +/- and includes both sensors.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:40 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the cost of a 1/4 tank of fuel, why not?

Old 10-24-2018, 01:05 PM
jackstraw
Tuned
Thanks for all the details so far everyone.

I like to invest in tools to be sure but haven’t gotten around to buying my own scan tool. Plenty of other things to buy for the business.

The fuse is good. So much for the easy chafed wire fix. Once the pedal assembly is pulled, is there any chance that anything can be wire brushed to coax a little more service time out of it?

Old 10-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
What year is your rig? Do you have adjustable pedals?

Stewart

Old 10-24-2018, 02:58 PM
jackstraw
Tuned
Manufactured 11/99 = 2000 model year.

The next challenge is deciding on cost vs. time. It is still avail. from Motorcraft = $442, but would reach a dealership tomorrow. After-market = 250 or so + shipping = 3 days = Monday.

Standard makes one and reports it as good for 99-01, and 03, for gas or diesel.

So close: one salvage yard checked and found one in an 02, gas, but it didn’t have any sensors on it - must be the ‘adjustable’ I guess, or maybe from some other type of options package. ? Mine is Off Road pkg.

ebay would be a good way to go, too.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Jack, First watch the video, he cleaned up the IVS and got it to work again.

OEM- https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F231269309848

Old 10-24-2018, 03:15 PM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the details so far everyone.

I like to invest in tools to be sure but haven’t gotten around to buying my own scan tool. Plenty of other things to buy for the business.

The fuse is good. So much for the easy chafed wire fix. Once the pedal assembly is pulled, is there any chance that anything can be wire brushed to coax a little more service time out of it?

I have to ask... Did you check the manual for the correct fuse number? Please don't trust my memory.

Quick Reply: No response on accelerator pedal