Sponsored by:

2000 Excursion Limited 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 PM
jsmiller081012
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4

I used to prowl the forums until I sold my 75 ford ranger with a 460. I recently bought a 2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 with the V10. 140000. I’m pretty sure the engine has a exhaust leak but other than that it is a solid truck. I want to get more air in, more exhaust out, and add a chip. Kind of looking for suggestions. Not great working on anything but I have a guy that is more than fair. Looking to get more out of the engine as far as fuel mileage. Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:22 PM
jsmiller081012
New User
Also need a rear bumper for it. Does anyone know what other model years that the parts will swap out?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:17 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
The v10 guys will be along shortly to spec out the standard exhaust and tune setup up but until then remember that more air in will also mean more fuel which is going to decrease your MPG.

an engine has a stoichiometric air fuel ratio of 14.7 air to 1 part fuel. All modern fuel injected engines use various sensors that keep the ratio at 14.7 to 1, so more air is going to mean more fuel.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:27 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jsmiller081012
Also need a rear bumper for it. Does anyone know what other model years that the parts will swap out?
2008-2016 rear bumper off a Super Duty, keep the brackets from your Excursion bumper.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:30 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by jsmiller081012
I used to prowl the forums until I sold my 75 ford ranger with a 460. I recently bought a 2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 with the V10. 140000. I’m pretty sure the engine has a exhaust leak but other than that it is a solid truck. I want to get more air in, more exhaust out, and add a chip. Kind of looking for suggestions. Not great working on anything but I have a guy that is more than fair. Looking to get more out of the engine as far as fuel mileage. Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
Congrats on the new to you EX and welcome to EX forum! We require pictures here.
I'm pretty sure any bumper from '99-'07 is identical to the EX bumper and the later model ones that Mecdac mentioned make for a very nice looking update on the rear.
Your exhaust leak is most likely a few broken exhaust manifold studs that have broken, common issue on these mod motors. They can be a pain to access and replace, but it is very doable for the DIYer, I did mine when I installed headers with the help of a MIG welder to tack a nut onto the broken stud to ease removal.
The V-10 EX came from the factory with a very nice cold air intake and high quality paper filter that can outflow the engine at redline, Many, if not most aftermarket replacements will provide for more noise, less filtration and marginal, if any gains in performance. Some of these CAIs also pull in hot under hood air, not sure how that fits the cold air description. Install a clean new OEM filter and enjoy it.
Since you have a '00 EX it could have either the fairly decent "Ram's horn" style Y pipe where the downpipes join into one or the horrible necked down T shaped abomination. Either one can be improved on by installation of a nice smooth flowing true Y pipe, you will gain more from this if going from the T pipe than if replacing the Ram's horn style. Typically replacing the T with a Y will improve throttle response and butt-dyno feel in acceleration and slightly more grunt in high load situations. The factory 3" mandrel bent piping is good stuff, I replaced my stock muffler with an Aeroturbine 30303XL (same as the Jones offering, who actually makes it) it provides a nice sound (which can be a challenge with the V-10) and no drone along with a tiny bit of extra go. Headers are expensive for these, really good headers are really expensive, but they do offer a modest performance gain, just don't try to rationalize the gains by any economic means. I went with the Banks headers and they did bring some gains to the table for my tow rig EX along with better throttle response, I feel the gains most while towing climbing highway grades. The exhaust manifolds are the biggest restriction in the exhaust system in my opinion.
You DO NOT want to "add a chip", what you do want to do is get some custom tunes (from 5Star Tuning, a site sponsor and 6.8 experts) and a handheld tuner. They will write a variety of tunes for you based on your rig's mods and intended use. There are only small power gains from the tunes BUT the Improvements to the trans shift strategy are remarkable and really make the EX feel like a different truck! I haven't ran with my stock tune for years and have no plans to ever go back, most of my heavy towing work is done with the 89 Octane Performance tune loaded, so much better than stock.
As far as improving mileage goes you have to establish a baseline first. What kind of mileage are you now getting and with what mix of city/town/highway driving? What is your personal driving style, Racer X, Grandma or something in the middle? What size tires does the EX have on it? What gear ratio does it have? Any lift or giant rooftop cargo rack or box or anything else that may negatively affect the fuel mileage? Easy on the gas and easy on the brakes with good stopping anticipation and coasting are the keys to decent mileage. What tire pressures are you running? Have you checked for brake dragging (either pulling or heat after a drive)? At 140K miles, have the plugs ever been changed, and if yes, when? How is the tire wear looking, any alignment issues?

Old 10-23-2018, 01:33 PM
jsmiller081012
New User
Thanks for all the input. I honestly do not know some of the question asked. But its getting 12 MPG now. The plugs and coils were changed @ 134K according to the records. The breaks and hubs were recently changed. The wheels are stock and the tire tread is about 80% good. There is no lift on it. its stock height. The shocks are blisteens? all the way around. I will get some pics tonight and take a look at some of the things mentioned. again thank you.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:36 PM
jsmiller081012
New User
It will not be pulling anything yet just a driver. My wife just started working at home and I got one because I have been looking for about 3 months for another truck but prices and the absolute refusal by me to add another car payment is why I saved the cash to buy something rather than finance. I am a very granny like driver lol My money is too important for me to blow it. lol. I feel like im older and wiser when Im driving the beast. LOL

Old 10-23-2018, 07:16 PM
jsmiller081012
New User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
The v10 guys will be along shortly to spec out the standard exhaust and tune setup up but until then remember that more air in will also mean more fuel which is going to decrease your MPG.

an engine has a stoichiometric air fuel ratio of 14.7 air to 1 part fuel. All modern fuel injected engines use various sensors that keep the ratio at 14.7 to 1, so more air is going to mean more fuel.
ok so I honestly have no idea what that means but would replacing the “y” in the exhaust and installing a stock performance air filter be best? A new muffler as well? Just trying to learn lol.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:18 PM
jsmiller081012
New User
After driving it that damn thing likes to run at 45-60 I am not used to that I’ll look down and be 40-45 then I blink I’m running 65. I’m going to get a damn ticket.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:25 PM
jsmiller081012
New User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Congrats on the new to you EX and welcome to EX forum! We require pictures here.
I'm pretty sure any bumper from '99-'07 is identical to the EX bumper and the later model ones that Mecdac mentioned make for a very nice looking update on the rear.
Your exhaust leak is most likely a few broken exhaust manifold studs that have broken, common issue on these mod motors. They can be a pain to access and replace, but it is very doable for the DIYer, I did mine when I installed headers with the help of a MIG welder to tack a nut onto the broken stud to ease removal.
The V-10 EX came from the factory with a very nice cold air intake and high quality paper filter that can outflow the engine at redline, Many, if not most aftermarket replacements will provide for more noise, less filtration and marginal, if any gains in performance. Some of these CAIs also pull in hot under hood air, not sure how that fits the cold air description. Install a clean new OEM filter and enjoy it.
Since you have a '00 EX it could have either the fairly decent "Ram's horn" style Y pipe where the downpipes join into one or the horrible necked down T shaped abomination. Either one can be improved on by installation of a nice smooth flowing true Y pipe, you will gain more from this if going from the T pipe than if replacing the Ram's horn style. Typically replacing the T with a Y will improve throttle response and butt-dyno feel in acceleration and slightly more grunt in high load situations. The factory 3" mandrel bent piping is good stuff, I replaced my stock muffler with an Aeroturbine 30303XL (same as the Jones offering, who actually makes it) it provides a nice sound (which can be a challenge with the V-10) and no drone along with a tiny bit of extra go. Headers are expensive for these, really good headers are really expensive, but they do offer a modest performance gain, just don't try to rationalize the gains by any economic means. I went with the Banks headers and they did bring some gains to the table for my tow rig EX along with better throttle response, I feel the gains most while towing climbing highway grades. The exhaust manifolds are the biggest restriction in the exhaust system in my opinion.
You DO NOT want to "add a chip", what you do want to do is get some custom tunes (from 5Star Tuning, a site sponsor and 6.8 experts) and a handheld tuner. They will write a variety of tunes for you based on your rig's mods and intended use. There are only small power gains from the tunes BUT the Improvements to the trans shift strategy are remarkable and really make the EX feel like a different truck! I haven't ran with my stock tune for years and have no plans to ever go back, most of my heavy towing work is done with the 89 Octane Performance tune loaded, so much better than stock.
As far as improving mileage goes you have to establish a baseline first. What kind of mileage are you now getting and with what mix of city/town/highway driving? What is your personal driving style, Racer X, Grandma or something in the middle? What size tires does the EX have on it? What gear ratio does it have? Any lift or giant rooftop cargo rack or box or anything else that may negatively affect the fuel mileage? Easy on the gas and easy on the brakes with good stopping anticipation and coasting are the keys to decent mileage. What tire pressures are you running? Have you checked for brake dragging (either pulling or heat after a drive)? At 140K miles, have the plugs ever been changed, and if yes, when? How is the tire wear looking, any alignment issues?
thanks yes that is the chip I was reading about I read some of your response at work lol. So rams horn not that bad. T is crap. That muffler you mentioned I’ll look that up. You mentioned 89 oct. is there that much difference? Between the 87?

Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 PM
jsmiller081012
New User
Also anyone have suggestions for steering stability and rear stabilizer? It’s not bad but my wife can be a nascar driver and I want this baby safe.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:47 PM
jsmiller081012
New User
Does anyone have any experience with the vhs system in these. I didn’t believe it was a vhs but it is. It doesn’t work so are there any how to for the dvd replacement?

Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 10-23-2018, 11:20 PM
jsmiller081012
New User
Lol right. When I seen it I was like I don’t even know where to get VHS tapes. Lol

Old 10-24-2018, 08:56 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
1st fix the exhaust leak.
That leak can affect the O2 sensors readings causing incorrect AF ratio, if it is leaking at exhaust manifolds.

Fuel pump and injectors can only support about 350 hp at max hp. Few live at 4800 rpm so look to increase torque by adding gears and a good ladder bar system to reduce spring wrap. I recommend 4:30 gears. Stock excursions came with 430s and I think those are perfect for excursions.

5 Star will also help but don't expect hp increases over about 350 at 5000 rpm or so.

Remove stock triple clutch torque converter and put in one that is specifically made for what you want. There are some really good towing units out there that will definitely help.

Most people look to improve hp of a motor but in our case putting $$ into the transmission via 5 star and performance valve bodys is money better spent.

Last is maintenance. ....plugs, coils, injectors, clean maf air filter, coil clips, injector clips, fuel filter, clean throttle body, replace pcv, check for vacuum leaks, replace antifreeze, make sure thermostat is a 185 degree unit....etc.

Quick Reply: 2000 Excursion Limited 4x4