1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Replacing bed on a 55

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:51 AM
g-money-55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing bed on a 55

The more I look at this bed and the rust I think I would be time ahead by just replacing it. I've got to replace a couple of the cross members anyway since they are all but gone. The previous owner had tack welded a sheet of plate metal over the wood to "strengthen" it . I think it actually did more harm than good as the water got trapped beneath the plate metal with no place to go. Anyway.spoke with the people at Midwest Early Ford and of course he promoted there kit as being one of the best on the market, Everything is pre-drilled ready to go. Being new to this I have not dealt with them before. Has anyone used them or have purchased a bed from them? Is replacing the bed the route you would go on this? Thanks Greg

Here is the link to the complete bed kit f Midwest Early Truck Bed

Old 10-17-2018, 12:29 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
If you have the money at hand buy the bed kit. If you live in or near Ohio go to them to pick it up and save the freight. If you live near a show they sell at pick it up there. I bought the basic bed (2 sides, front panel, and rear cross member) from them for $600 and I picked it up from them at Carlisle Ford Nats at no charge.

However, from what I see in your limited pics your bed doesn't look too bad. MidFifty sells corner angles that look like bed strips that will strengthen and cover the rusted areas of the bed flange. Your tailgate doesn't look too bad either. Do you do your own body work.

So it depends if you want a driver quality or a show quality truck. If you get a new bed you can sell your old bed......

Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Mar-K is one of the best bed kits that I have seen. All steel is zinc coated to prevent rust, spot welds are flush and don't have the usual dimples that need work before painting, and all holes and outer dimensions are accurate.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:47 PM
g-money-55
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
If you have the money at hand buy the bed kit. If you live in or near Ohio go to them to pick it up and save the freight. If you live near a show they sell at pick it up there. I bought the basic bed (2 sides, front panel, and rear cross member) from them for $600 and I picked it up from them at Carlisle Ford Nats at no charge.

However, from what I see in your limited pics your bed doesn't look too bad. MidFifty sells corner angles that look like bed strips that will strengthen and cover the rusted areas of the bed flange. Your tailgate doesn't look too bad either. Do you do your own body work.

So it depends if you want a driver quality or a show quality truck. If you get a new bed you can sell your old bed......
Thanks Abe, This is the worst side of the bed but not much is left on the cab side of the angle strips. No not trying to build a show a truck but want something nice and have fair budget considering I inherited the truck so not out anything for the truck itself. That said I don't want to waste money either. I have not attempted body work since I was in my early 20's some 30+ years ago. It wasn't pretty but it held. have been watching some videos on rust repair as I have a few other areas that are minor but need taking care of before repainting down the line. I think I have mentioned before. I know little to nothing about restoration. I have a brother in law that is a great mechanic and has her purring very nicely right now with minimum expense so far, He is all for helping me along but has told me if "If we're going to do this we ain't half assinin it"

The angle braces you mention from midfifty. Do those have to be welded on, bolted on or what? I found them but was unsure looking how they mounted up with out leaving a lip where it is attached to the bed. Yes the tailgate is actually in really good shape it is the edges of the bed and of course the wood itself that has me concerned. Maybe more than I should be?

Old 10-17-2018, 08:11 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
The angle strips need to be welded onto the sides and the bed strip part are bolted onto the cross members.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
Greg,
I am so new, I dont even have a truck! But we need more pictures of your project! Please!
Regards,
Chris

Old 10-17-2018, 08:21 PM
g-money-55
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
The angle strips need to be welded onto the sides and the bed strip part are bolted onto the cross members.
Thanks Abe, yes it was the angle braces I was curious about. That's what I figured!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:30 PM
g-money-55
Senior User
Originally Posted by Effies 56
Greg,
I am so new, I dont even have a truck! But we need more pictures of your project! Please!
Regards,
Chris
Ha! Yes yes I know. I have been asked by several to post more pics. Photography is my second source of income so you would think I would already have a ton of them. Unfortunately it is like painters house is always the one house on the block needing painted the worst!

I promise there will be more to come soon, maybe next week .

Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey GMoney.
We used Midwest Early Ford for all of our body panels & bed parts.
They were easy to deal with & their parts worked well for us. They've been around
a long time & a lot of the members here have used their parts.

Your bed doesn't look too bad. It's a good place to start .. jump in the water's fine.
All the support stuff won't be seen in the finished bed anyway. We made a decision to
save our bed - if we replaced everything I think in the end we would have ended up
with a "kit car'' made from parts.

Good luck over there in Arkansas!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 10-18-2018, 11:32 PM
willymakeit
Tuned
Build it yourself.
Have a metal shop do your bends. Use 16 ga tubing for bed rolls. A lipping block will give you the slight chamfer at rolls.
Weld slowly moving a round and check length of roll weld to keep straight.
its not a hard process.
Bed stake supports are 2”x2” and shape bottom termination to your design.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I say buy the new bed, you'll regret it later if you don't. Yours looks pretty roached...

Old 10-19-2018, 08:36 PM
merten
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-19-2018, 09:14 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I agree with John and the others that buying a new bed will be some of the best money you can spend on your restoration. It's virtually impossible to get both sides of a 60 year old dented and rusted, thin piece of sheetmetal straight enough to look good in paint. They're always way worse than they look. You can spend 100 hours on it and still not be satisfied. For less than a couple of grand, you can have all new metal for half of your project looking good and ready for paint. Pull the trigger and don't look back.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:53 PM
g-money-55
Senior User
Thanks guys, that sale looks pretty sweet. I think I'll be making a phone call Monday!

Old 10-20-2018, 01:49 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by g-money-55
Thanks guys, that sale looks pretty sweet. I think I'll be making a phone call Monday!
Be sure and read the fine print. That "sale" doesn't include the tailgate. Apparently they are out of smooth tailgates, thus the lower price. The block letter tailgate is an additional $300.

Quick Reply: Replacing bed on a 55