CAT Scale Adventure - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

CAT Scale Adventure

Old 10-13-2018, 04:51 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lightbulb CAT Scale Adventure

Many have us have participated in, been entertained by, and/or been dismayed by various threads dealing with "weights". A key reason why my wife and I bought the 2017 F350 (and now the 2019 F350) was because my back-of-the-envelope calculation clearly indicated that our MY2000 F250 CCSB 5.4 (8800 lbs. GVWR) could not handle even a light-but-loaded truck camper and us and all the rest of our stuff.

I weighed the new 2019 F350 today at our local CAT scale today; it weighed in at 6680 lbs. including ~60 lbs for the four (4) frame-attached Torklift tiedown receivers (not the inserts) and the mudguards. So, let's say 6620 lbs. curb weight (including a full fuel tank but otherwise empty of people, cargo, and other "stuff"). The truck's official payload rating is 3912 lbs. (the upgrade from the 2017 to the 2019 cost me 56 lbs. of payload.) Added to 6620, the total is 10,532 lb.s, which is pretty close to the official GVWR spec of 10,600 lbs., which is limited by the load rating of the OEM LT275/65R18E A/S tires.

One future trip to the local CAT scale will be with a worst-case full load ("damp" camper with supplies, three adults, dog, etc.) to compare loaded weights against GVWR and GAWRs. I'll also do one of with an empty camper on the truck. I plan to make these visits to the scale over the next month or so.

I hope this turns out to be a useful exercise.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 10-13-2018, 06:21 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Careful bud, you are about to venture into fantasy land.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:04 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer View Post
I'm calling B.S. here. I've followed your posts and I doubt you've EVER simply calculated anything on just the back of an envelope. I can see three monitors, Ford docs open on one of them, an electronic CAT scale sheet on the next and a spreadsheet (with multiple sheets for different scenarios) on the third.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:40 AM
texastech_diesel
Post Fiend
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
pretty close to the official GVWR spec of 10,600 lbs., which is limited by the load rating of the OEM LT275/65R18E A/S tires.
Ford is putting tires with a 114-116 load index on Super Duties? What's wrong with the normal 275/70R18 with a 123 load index?

Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Red face

Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I'm calling B.S. here. I've followed your posts and I doubt you've EVER simply calculated anything on just the back of an envelope. I can see three monitors, Ford docs open on one of them, an electronic CAT scale sheet on the next and a spreadsheet (with multiple sheets for different scenarios) on the third.
I plead “guilty”, Your Honor! I throw myself upon the mercy of the court... My only defense is that I stopped using a slide rule decades ago.

I knew my iPad was watchin’ me...
Jim / crewzer

Old 10-14-2018, 03:47 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
Exclamation

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel View Post
Ford is putting tires with a 114-116 load index on Super Duties? What's wrong with the normal 275/70R18 with a 123 load index?
The LT275/65R18E A/S tires are load index 123/120E. These are the largest OEM tires you can get on an F350 4x2. These tires limit the rear GAWR to 6830 lbs., which in turn limits our truck’s official GVWR to 10,600 lbs.

The LT275/70R18E A/T tires are load index 125/122E.

HTH,
Jim/ crewzer

Old 10-14-2018, 11:44 PM
texastech_diesel
Post Fiend
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Ok, that makes more sense. The base 265/70R17s in my year were 121. I was worried this was like when P-metrics started coming on the F-150s, that they were neutering the higher trim tires for ride quality at the expense of spare capacity in the place where it matters the most. Tire load index is a rating you don't screw around with.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:21 AM
ronf38
Junior User
ronf38 has a good reputation on FTE.ronf38 has a good reputation on FTE.ronf38 has a good reputation on FTE.
Waiting for update on weight....i always like weight calcs....i seriously dislike people that tow/haul way higher than gross....they put themselves and more importantly my family at risk....so i sure do respect guys like u that take it seriously.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:54 AM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
My next weigh-in is scheduled for ~Oct 27, when we head out on a nine-day camping trip. The local CAT scale is at a nearby freeway entrance.

Thanks,
Jim / crewzer

Old 10-15-2018, 08:10 AM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
Angry

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel View Post
Ok, that makes more sense. The base 265/70R17s in my year were 121. I was worried this was like when P-metrics started coming on the F-150s, that they were neutering the higher trim tires for ride quality at the expense of spare capacity in the place where it matters the most. Tire load index is a rating you don't screw around with.
P-metric tire application is a particular sore point of mine, as it does not appear to be commonly known that P-metric tire rated load capacity is reduced by 9% (divided by 1.1) when used for “light truck” applications, which includes pickups, SUVs, and minivans.

Foe example, a two-tire set on our Highlander is rated for 4078 lbs. (2039 lbs. each). Applying the 1.1 reduction results in an operational rating of 3707 lbs., which is just over the SUVs 3505 lbs. rear GAWR.

This type of operational- and safety related “fine print” is a key example of why I can be so **** about my research.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 10-15-2018, 11:42 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.

What are you saying he would make something like this?

Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Something like that. The weight columns needs an actual weight classification: Lbs or Kg. Are those distance columns in feet, inches, centimeters, chickens, cows or pigs? Important details, you know?

Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 PM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Something like that. The weight columns needs an actual weight classification: Lbs or Kg. Are those distance columns in feet, inches, centimeters, chickens, cows or pigs? Important details, you know?
Pounds and feet (the ones used in the usa). Just need to verify some measurements on the trailer and the center of gravity of the tractors. I have the weight of them within a hundred pounds and know about where it is centered but need to front and rear weights to know for sure.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:12 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
So, I weighed the fully fueled- and loaded truck + damp camper (2x 20 lbs. propane tanks, 2x Group 24 AGM batteries, 7 gals. “Just in case” water in tanks) stocked fridge and pantry, tools, supplies, clothes, adult beverage bag, etc.) 3 adults, and one dog. Here we go:

Rating / Weight (lbs.)
Front axle: 4550 / 4320
Rear axle: 6780 / 6380
Gross: 10600 / 10700

Not bad, but higher actual weight than I expected. And, this is an usual configuration for us, as our younger adult son and his stuff was with us.

Jim / crewzer

Old 10-27-2018, 09:25 PM
ronf38
Junior User
ronf38 has a good reputation on FTE.ronf38 has a good reputation on FTE.ronf38 has a good reputation on FTE.
So, I weighed the fully fueled- and loaded truck + damp camper (2x 20 lbs. propane tanks, 2x Group 24 AGM batteries, 7 gals. “Just in case” water in tanks) stocked fridge and pantry, tools, supplies, clothes, adult beverage bag, etc.) 3 adults, and one dog. Here we go:

Rating / Weight (lbs.)
Front axle: 4550 / 4320
Rear axle: 6780 / 6380
Gross: 10600 / 10700

Not bad, but higher actual weight than I expected. And, this is an usual configuration for us, as our younger adult son and his stuff was with us.

Jim / crewzer
sounds like your son needs to get his own truck lol....EVERYTHING is always higher than expected....my 5th wheel is suppose to gross 21k with toy in garage....when i travel all set im 21k without side x side...wife has to follow with her truck and little trailer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: