Camper Tie Downs and Turnbuckles? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Camper Tie Downs and Turnbuckles?

Old 11-25-2017, 08:24 AM
Elder User

SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question Camper Tie Downs and Turnbuckles?

We're looking at a truck camper, and we'll need some mounting hardware. I'm considering these tie-downs.

I'm still researching turnbuckles. Any suggestions on which to get and which to avoid?

My target budget for the tie-downs, the turnbuckles, and the bed mat is ~$1K-ish, all likely from etrailer.com

Thanks!
Jim / crewzer
Old 11-25-2017, 12:54 PM
Elder User

LabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to beholdLabCab is a splendid one to behold
That is what we went with for our new camper and they work great.
etrailer is a great place to buy from as well.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:15 PM
New User

Burro is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been using the Torklift tiedowns along with their Fastguns since 2009. The Fastguns are great, but not cheap... They work great for me.

There were once pictures on the Torklift homepage of a truck and camper that had turned over. The camper was still in place.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Elder User

WyoBull is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have Torklift frame tie downs and Fastguns. Work great and I would not look at anything else based on my experience. When the camper is not on the truck, you don't even notice the tie downs mounted to the frame.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Post Fiend

RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
I have HappiJack tiedowns front and Torklift rear and Fast Guns front and rear. works well. Although the topic of which is better or best comes up a lot, once we got West and saw the wide variety of what folks were using including simple straps and turn buckles I came away convinced virtually every option worked well and folks who were using them were content.

I vote in the camp of "whatever floats your boat". The single thing I will note is I no longer order from any website that censors their ratings. When they all sound too good to be true, there is a good chance they are!

Steve
Old 11-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Postmaster

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
Jim, I thought I had read a thread either in the towing area or in the 2017+ area where a member had a problem getting tie downs to work on the 2017 and had to go through a couple of different brands to get it to work. So be careful that it's 2017 specific.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Elder User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the helpful replies!

According to etrailer.com, the front Torklift tie-downs (TLF2022) have been verified to fit our 2017 F350's configuration (no step under bed, factory hitch). Torklift's instruction for the rear tie-downs (TLF3008) are 2017 F350 specific. So, fingers crossed that they'll all fit!

I ended up ordering a pair of Fastgun turnbuckles and a pair of XL turnbuckles. I'll use the Fastguns up front in case there's a problem with accessing the fuel door.

I also ordered a DeeZee bed mat. It all added up to right around $1K.

Thanks again!
Jim / crewzer
Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Senior User

River Wild is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use the torklifts and fast gun derringers on mine. No issues with the fuel door. Before the fast guns I hated loading the camper up. The fast gun make it so much easier and...well... fast!

The torklift install is easy. I think it took me an hour and half or so. The fronts took the longest but was straight forward. I don't like the way they look on the truck as they just stick straight out from the frame unlike the older ones that we tucked up a bit more. Oh well...
Old 11-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Junior User

taycotrains is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hated doing the install on my truck...I was lucky to talk my regular mechanic into helping me put them on. I feel it was a real PITA job...but I'm glad I got it done for the trip we planned for after thanksgiving dinner ...I don't like the set up at all but the box frame makes it complicated compared to the tie downs on my 2011 (which took all of about 25 minutes to install) I hope I never have to remove them!
Old 12-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Elder User

TJReams has a good reputation on FTE.TJReams has a good reputation on FTE.TJReams has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice looking rig though.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:08 PM
Freshman User

cjssr is starting off with a positive reputation.
We are using the Torklift with fastguns on our TC and they work very well. My cousin uses the HappiJacks on his TC and is happy as well so its just a matter of choice.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Elder User

Smile

The tie-downs, FastGuns, XLs, and the bed mat have all arrived. The bed mat is installed (perfect fit), and I'll install the rear tie-downs next. The front tie down's will be more difficult, but they may be a multiple-beer job.

I also plan to weigh the truck "as configured" before I load the camper.

I appreciate all of your feedback!

Thanks,
Jim / crewzer
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM
New User

Haggis 6.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good luck with your install - give us a debrief with pics when you get the tiedowns installed. I expect to be doing the same when my blue 6.2 comes in.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Elder User

Smile

Will do!

Thx,
Jim / crewzer
Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Freshman User

_hedge_ is starting off with a positive reputation.
I installed the torklift tiedowns on my 8' box, no real issues but you have to line up 3 or maybe 4 bolt fishers all at the same time so kind of a pain. I found having an impact to tighten the nuts quickly helped.

I think it's different on the 6'9" box, I think you have to break the large bolt loose on the spring perch which I've heard is quite an effort.

I have the fastguns as well, I must be lucky with my camper as I don't have to release it on the current truck (8') to re-fuel and didn't have to on my short box either.