Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right hub

Old 10-12-2018, 12:51 PM
crazymut
Posting Guru
crazymut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.crazymut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Right hub

Noticed lately when driving my truck i get a noise almost like a tire rubbing on the plastic fender liners.That's not what it is. It happens when I make slight right turns, i.e. following the curve in the freeway. Noticed my right hub, if I turn the lock/free ****, the entire hub housing has slight movement in it. Maybe a 1/32 inch. Then the same going back the other way. Is this a sign of something failing? Something lose?

Old 10-12-2018, 01:05 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Time to take it apart and replace the bearing and check the axle stub for scoring. Easy job. It's the bearing closest to the truck. The outers are not replaceable. You can punch out the bearing and replace with a new seal for just a few bucks. If the axle shaft (stub) is grazed, you'll need a stub.

Either way, you won't know until it's off. Do both sides.

Denny

Old 10-12-2018, 01:31 PM
crazymut
Posting Guru
crazymut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.crazymut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I was figuring something like that. Is it easier to just replace the hub?

Old 10-12-2018, 02:37 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
It's easier, but if the hub stub axle is smooth, just save yourself quite a few bucks, punch out the old bearing/replace and see if it goes away.

I used to buy the hubs, not knowing the inner bearing was that easy to service. Tell you right now, I threw alot of money away.

But to echo what I said, the outer is not serviceable. You have to pull it apart, inspect and clean deep to find the issue.

Denny

Old 10-12-2018, 03:07 PM
crazymut
Posting Guru
Thanks Denny. Getting ready for hunting trip and this pops up.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:19 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
I used to buy the hubs, not knowing the inner bearing was that easy to service.
It's not really serviceable. You can pull the hub and re-grease it or pull the needle bearing and press in a new one. You won't find it on a parts list (as the hub is unitized and only sold as a complete unit) but it's a Timken B2110.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:35 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Good point. Thanx for the part Number.

If the stub survived, this would be my go to as well!

Denny

Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
When I was tooling with mine NAPA had the bearing in stock and the guy knew exactly what it was. Mine turned out to be good so I just lubed and reassembled.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:21 PM
crazymut
Posting Guru
I ordered new shirt and long shaft assemblies with new u-joints and new hubs. Hubs showed up today. May remove old hubs to see if short shaft is still good and just put on the new hubs. New shafts will not make it in time for hunting trip.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:33 PM
crazymut
Posting Guru
Got it fixed. The needle bearings were going out. Replaced hubs, brakes and vacuum lines. Shafts were not damaged. Made my hunting trip, got skunked due to passing on average deer. Stopped for diesel in one town and had this guy come up and ask me, Youíre selling your truck arenít you? Because itís sold now. Iíll buy it right now. I didnít sell it. 211k on it, nearly 2000 mile round trip, it ran perfect. 15 hours each way. I donít know if I could sell it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.