TDC - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

TDC

Old 10-10-2018, 09:24 AM
okie trucker
Junior User
okie trucker is starting off with a positive reputation.
TDC

If I turn crank to find TDC, do I need the distributer pulled out before. 292ci Y block 1963

Old 10-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Baker66FordF100
New User
Baker66FordF100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
TDC

You shouldn't have to take it out just make sure the distributor isn't getting any electricity to it so it doesn't fire up.

Last edited by Baker66FordF100; 10-10-2018 at 10:37 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-10-2018, 12:36 PM
okie trucker
Junior User
Originally Posted by Baker66FordF100 View Post
You shouldn't have to take it out just make sure the distributor isn't getting any electricity to it so it doesn't fire up.
Negative cable is unhooked thanks. Just remember to move rotor to no. 1 plug, correct ?

Old 10-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Crop Duster
Elder User
Crop Duster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by okie trucker View Post
If I turn crank to find TDC, do I need the distributer pulled out before. 292ci Y block 1963
What exactly are you trying to do? Have you had the distributor out?

Old 10-10-2018, 03:05 PM
okie trucker
Junior User
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
What exactly are you trying to do? Have you had the distributor out?
helper pulled it out without marking it. It's back in but doesn't run well. Trying to TDC so I can reset distributor.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:34 PM
RangerMercMan
Freezer Geezer
RangerMercMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
When you think you have TDC on the number one plug make sure you are on the compression stroke and not the exhaust. You can confirm this by removing the spark plugs and putting your thumb on the number one hole while hand rotating the motor. When you feel air pressure you found number one TDC for timing. Then you remove the cap and look to see where the rotor is pointing. Make sure the wire it points to goes to number one. Repeat six more times and number eight is last one to figure out.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:05 PM
okie trucker
Junior User
Originally Posted by RangerMercMan View Post
When you think you have TDC on the number one plug make sure you are on the compression stroke and not the exhaust. You can confirm this by removing the spark plugs and putting your thumb on the number one hole while hand rotating the motor. When you feel air pressure you found number one TDC for timing. Then you remove the cap and look to see where the rotor is pointing. Make sure the wire it points to goes to number one. Repeat six more times and number eight is last one to figure out.
Repeat what? exactly? 6 times ? you tryin to pull my leg ?lol

Old 10-10-2018, 06:14 PM
okie trucker
Junior User

Old 10-10-2018, 06:16 PM
okie trucker
Junior User
Also when I pulled #1 plug it had oil on the threads. Is that ok? or a problem ?

Old 10-10-2018, 06:54 PM
EricJ
Posting Guru
EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.EricJ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
oil on the threads would be from the outside, probably valve cover.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:07 PM
okie trucker
Junior User
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
oil on the threads would be from the outside, probably valve cover.
thanks EricJ

Old 10-10-2018, 09:21 PM
RangerMercMan
Freezer Geezer
RangerMercMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not trying to pull your leg. Once you have done the number one cylinder do another cylinder with your thumb on the hole until you feel air pressure and then make the rotor align with the wire going to that cylinder. If you do it to all of the holes you are 100% gaurenteed to have the correct firing order. You only have to thumb 7 holes and the last one #8 only has one place left to go. In terms of running rough if your advance (in terms of rotating the distributor housing while it is in the block) if you are popping or backfiring throgh the carb you are early. If it is through the exhaust you are late. If you are getting both you are out 180 degrees and need to remove the distributor and put the correct number one at TDC. Or you could do the thumb air pressure trick to confirm the correct firing order.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:04 PM
okie trucker
Junior User
Not trying to pull your leg. Once you have done the number one cylinder do another cylinder with your thumb on the hole until you feel air pressure and then make the rotor align with the wire going to that cylinder. If you do it to all of the holes you are 100% gaurenteed to have the correct firing order. You only have to thumb 7 holes and the last one #8 only has one place left to go. In terms of running rough if your advance (in terms of rotating the distributor housing while it is in the block) if you are popping or backfiring throgh the carb you are early. If it is through the exhaust you are late. If you are getting both you are out 180 degrees and need to remove the distributor and put the correct number one at TDC. Or you could do the thumb air pressure trick to confirm the correct firing order.
hahaha thanks man. You know those computer books for dummy's ? I need truck books for people who are dummer than dummy's

Old 10-11-2018, 03:50 AM
Crop Duster
Elder User
Crop Duster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Timing

helper pulled it out without marking it. It's back in but doesn't run well. Trying to TDC so I can reset distributor.
If it will start at all it can't be that far off. What is the timing light telling you. Sounds like you may have some wires crossed.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:21 AM
okie trucker
Junior User
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
If it will start at all it can't be that far off. What is the timing light telling you. Sounds like you may have some wires crossed.
Well heck, now why didn't I think of that. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.