Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now What?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:11 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.
Now What?

Me again...

So my truck was running great after all the weekend work that I had done (see here if you haven't been following https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-my-legs.html ).
On my way home from work the truck went into like a tractor mode, running really rough and had no power. I managed to limp it home but it felt like it could stall at any point, I was barely able to pull into my driveway.
I left it running and had a look under the hood to see if there was anything noticeable, there wasn't. While it sat there it got better for a few seconds, then worse for a few seconds, then better, then worse, then better and it stayed better. No CEL but I thought I'd check for codes anyway on my Edge Insight. Code 1316 was there and from reading on here I found it to be the IDM. But just what with the IDM?

I would say that it is highly likely that since I was under the valve covers yesterday that the issue is probably related to that. Probably one of the harnesses not fully/properly connected, am I right on this line of thinking? If so, how do I know which side to go after? If not where do I start to diagnose this more fully?

I started it again tonight and it ran better but it felt like it was ready to go back to the tractor mode at any time. Would it be safe to drive to work like this (about 10 miles) or should I look for a ride for tomorrow?
I think I know the answer to that already but I hate bumming a ride so its worth asking.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
James, I would agree with your harness guess…at least start there. I would also consider removing the chip until you figure it out, just to eliminate it from the equation. Good luck

Old 10-09-2018, 08:59 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Almost certainly the harness since the timing correlates to your recently working in the area.

Using Forscan run a cylinder contribution test will likely revel which bank is the culprit.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Edge has a tractor mode..

take edge off and see what happens

Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
If you can still get it to start, just run it for a minute, shut it off, and see which side is cold versus which side is warmer from the combustion.

Stewart

Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 PM
schlepprock250
Guns Dont Kill People..
schlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to behold
Before you tear the valve covers back apart check the plugs where the wiring harness connects to the valve covers. Look close to see if either one appears to be loose. If so you still may want to go back in to be sure they're tight and do a shim. Shaved down quarter will work.
Haven't read your other post so if you replaced the harnesses no need to shim them.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:41 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
This point its gonna have to wait until Friday when I'm off. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the passenger side harness. Thank you for the tips on how to diagnose the side. I must have not put it together tight enough?
Schlepp, I did do the harnesses, as I understand it they do not need to be shimmed because of design improvements.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
If you can still get it to start, just run it for a minute, shut it off, and see which side is cold versus which side is warmer from the combustion.

Stewart
WTH? Start it and see which side is warm? What kind of common sense approach is that?

Old 10-16-2018, 09:39 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Hey All,

So I tried to do what Stewart recommended in that I would start the truck let it run for a minute and then check for what side is cold but every time I started the truck, it ran fine!! lol I knew I had an issue though so I took what I thought was an educated guess and attacked the passenger side. It turned out to be the wrong one... lol I left to go to a buddies house to install my new exhaust and it ran rough again.
Anyway, long story short I did the drivers side and so far so good. It looks to have been an issue with the connection under the valve cover although I couldn't see anything wrong with it. I took it apart and reconnected and squeezed it really tight and it has been running normally since.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM
PrescottIce
Senior User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
Here's to crossed fingers.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:40 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by roostercrows View Post
I did do the harnesses, as I understand it they do not need to be shimmed because of design improvements.
Correct. As schlepprock250 mentioned, the new OEM design holds the connection so no 50 cent mod required.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:42 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Its doing it again.
I can only assume that the plug under the valve cover slowly pulls apart with vibration.

I think I'm going to wrap a wire around the plugs and cinch it shut tighter and more permanently.
or would the 50 cent mod be a better idea?
Suggestions?

Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Take the vc's off and fire it up. Start messing with connections and in hope you find the problem. In meantime, remove any chip tuner..etc

Old 10-17-2018, 02:11 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by roostercrows View Post
I think I'm going to wrap a wire around the plugs and cinch it shut tighter and more permanently.
or would the 50 cent mod be a better idea?
I never had an issue with the original UVCH or VC gasket and I went new OEM for both when I did my injectors earlier this year.

FWIW I have read plenty on the 50 cent mod over the years. I have never read of a "I-think-I'm-going-to-wrap-a-wire-around-the-plugs-and-cinch-it-shut-tighter-and-more-permanently" mod.

Just my 2

Old 10-17-2018, 04:00 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
All I'll say to that Brian is that things are obviously progressing....lol

I know it sounds bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.