2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Gnarliest maneuvering / climbing you've done with your TT RV ??!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:30 AM
spleeft
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gnarliest maneuvering / climbing you've done with your TT RV ??!!

I'm totally new to pulling RVs . Ill be pulling a ~9-11k Toy Hauler TT ( not 5th wheel ) with my new F 350 gas 4.3 axle truck. I' m considering the parking / storage spot I'll be using at my house. My driveway is too steep as the angle from the road will probably make the hitch and/or tail gate of the RV drag ( most long trucks and my Moms pop up drags and cannot clear it ) However, my neighbors gravel drive leads to my side yard and a much less angle change from the road but I will have to turn up through the grass yard . I do it very easily with my car so Im thinking I can pull the RV up to the top of my drive where it's big and flat.
What is actually possible/safe and how sideways / steep of an angle have you'all pulled your rvs up ?!
Thanks for any help !

Old 10-04-2018, 11:51 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
After several close calls, and a tow truck I'm not much into driving on grass, unless it's frozen solid in January.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:04 PM
rcorkum4
Junior User
Grass and sideways give me pause. You are talking a lot of weight and I would be concerned about the available traction (even in 4 wheel drive) to move the heavy TT without wheel spin. You don't mention how much of a sideways angle you need to traverse but I would be nervous having 9-11k lbs trying to drag me sideways down a hill. Try viewing some 4x4 fails on You-Tube and you can see it doesn't take much to tip a rig if the low side tires dig in on a slope.

You could always try driving the truck across the slope without the TT to get a feel for traversing the slope without the TT hooked up.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:30 PM
jergle
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I keep my TT in a shed about 100 ft from my house. I have to pull it across grass up a fairly slight hill (I would guess about 10 feet in elevation change) to get to my driveway. I tried pulling the camper out after a heavy rain this summer, and even in 4wd, all I did was make a mess. You just can't get traction on wet grass and mud.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:35 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don’t mind hauling my TT straight up a hill but the sidehill stuff can be sketchy. A few years back we headed into a spot where there was a diagonal dry wash to cross on the sidehill portion of the road. Luckily my trailer made it but my buddy’s trailer flexed enough to crack the shower enclosure from floor to ceiling. I don’t pull it over that kind of stuff anymore.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:23 PM
spleeft
Mountain Pass
I will post yard pics ASAP, glad I asked here!

Old 10-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I do a fair amount of time off-road with a trailer on the farm. Straight up and down a hill these trucks will surprise you where they will go with a trailer. Side hilling is another matter. It does not take much to get you into trouble going across a hill.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:36 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,701 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Toy haulers are inherently top heavy unless you have a full tank of water. With my toy hauler I'm real careful about side to side movement as it causes enough body roll to the ATV in the garage that the top of the ATV can contact and damage the cabinets on the side. I secure the ATV with tire bonnets, not on the frame. Lately I've been adding a ratchet strap to the frame to limit body roll but almost every time I check it at my destination the strap is either off or very loose.

Since you're putting your trailer into storage you may not have anything in the garage to worry about but you'll still have a high center of gravity that could put a good amount of stress on the suspension.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jim - try blocking the suspension before you add the strap. You're probably getting enough bounce to let the strap go slack.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:40 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,701 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Originally Posted by Xwild
Jim - try blocking the suspension before you add the strap. You're probably getting enough bounce to let the strap go slack.
I've never done any blocking of the suspension. How would I go about that?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:54 AM
spleeft
Mountain Pass
I wont have anything heavy in garage, just mountainbikes and surfboards . Heres pics of proposed driveway/ parking spot. I can put gravel down. I could back it up or pull, If I stay on the tracks you see in last pic, my car never tilts to either side ( stays level ) but I can see why you'all are saying that things can get sketchy real fast if it really wet.

You can see my tracks here

Old 10-05-2018, 09:01 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
That doesn't look too bad. As long as it's not wet or muddy, I say go for it. If you can put gravel down and make it an actual 'driveway,' then it would be even better. Just try to go as straight up and down the hill as possible to limit side-to-side slant for that top-heavy trailer.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:04 AM
motocamper
Senior User
That doesn't look too bad. Is your truck a 4x4? I would reverse 4LO it right up the driveway into the spot.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:10 AM
jergle
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would agree that if you follow the tracks in your last picture, I wouldn't be scared to try that. Your only problem would be when the grass is wet. If you put gravel or crusher run down, I don't think you would have any problem.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:41 AM
Mlambert22
Senior User
I would back it up your blacktop driveway, your camper probably sits much higher that your in-laws popup

Quick Reply: Gnarliest maneuvering / climbing you've done with your TT RV ??!!