6.2 F250 Towing Limitations 12000 vs 14000 GVWR

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 10:16 PM
William Grayson
Trailering
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rambo3489
Thanks for keeping this one on track Denny. Yea the thought of going DRW crossed my mind as well. But honestly I cant swing it for what I use the truck for. It sees a bit of time on trials and such too. Just got back from a quick overlanding trip last weekend. Not to say a DRW truck cant hold its own offroad, just for me personally I think a SRW is a better fit.

After a little milling about in my head I think I will be fine with the 250. The way I see it I very well may be over the RAWR which is what I am most concerned about. But if I run bags some of the weight will be taken off the suspension which should bring that number back into spec. The Sterling itself is rated for more than the tires can hold so I am not worried about overloading the axle. Most other key components on the 250 are the same as the 350. Aside from the tranny and a few suspension pieces. With the addition of bags I would feel comfortable with the pin weights I very well might be seeing.

Thanks,
Rambo
I did some of the same research with axel weights gear ratios etc. I ended up with air bags, upgraded rear sway bars, 4.88 gear ratio, vision 19.5 wheels and Michelin 16 ply tires. I scale 31,000 lbs fully loaded. If I had it to do over again, I would go with14 ply tires. I never have to air the 16s up to capacity. Also, I would go with 4.56 as opposed to 4.88 gears. I have a triple axel trailer with hydraulic disks. So, stopping is not an issue.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 PM
rvpuller
Received 433 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by William Grayson
I did some of the same research with axel weights gear ratios etc. I ended up with air bags, upgraded rear sway bars, 4.88 gear ratio, vision 19.5 wheels and Michelin 16 ply tires. I scale 31,000 lbs fully loaded. If I had it to do over again, I would go with14 ply tires. I never have to air the 16s up to capacity. Also, I would go with 4.56 as opposed to 4.88 gears. I have a triple axel trailer with hydraulic disks. So, stopping is not an issue.
I'm a big believer in rear end gearing and pulling ability so I have to ask how does the 6.2 do with 4.88 gears off the line and on grades. And how hard do load range H tires ride.

Denny

Old 09-04-2019, 08:46 AM
William Grayson
Trailering
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I'm a big believer in rear end gearing and pulling ability so I have to ask how does the 6.2 do with 4.88 gears off the line and on grades. And how hard do load range H tires ride.

Denny
The4.88 gears are a huge asset when getting the load rolling. With the 3.73 gears, I could pull the load. But, I had to push the motor so hard that the truck would shudder when starting off. Not sure if it was clutch slippage in the transmission, or the torque converter. However, the4.88s fixed that problem. At 2000 rpm with 245/70R19.5 tires. I am doing 57 mph. In retrospect, 4.56 gears would have put me above 60 at 2000, while still having enough reduction to get the load moving. The 16 ply tires ride rough! I have 14 ply on the front. There is a noticeable difference in sidewall stiffness and ride between the two. You have to inflate the tires according to weight. While empty, I run 65 in the rear tires. When loaded with a 4000 lb pin weight. I run 90lbs. This gives the best ride and handling for my configuration. The 16 ply tires can be inflated to 125 lbs. so, I feel like I went a little overkill on my tire choice. It takes a little trial and error to get the tire pressure right. If they are overinflated, the truck will feel like the rear end is sliding around. Also, the vision wheels have a larger valve stem than stock. Therefore the TPMS sensors would not work. I had to swap to band type sensors. My last piece of advice; do not do to a car tire shop. Go to a truck stop to have the tires mounted and balanced. They have the equipment to handle these tires. The sidewalks are too stiff to be mounted with an automobile style tire machine. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:03 AM
William Grayson
Trailering
Originally Posted by acadianbob
Yeah, I pulled my 11k 5er through there too; no issues. . . . .
I’m with you. I pulled mobile homes with a ford 370 gas for years, before swapping to a diesel. Was the diesel faster and stronger? Yes! But the old gas burner got me there and back. Currently I pull a 25,000lb fifth wheel with a heavily modified 6.2. No issues. I’ll get there when I get there.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:59 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I’m with you. I pulled mobile homes with a ford 370 gas for years, before swapping to a diesel. Was the diesel faster and stronger? Yes! But the old gas burner got me there and back. Currently I pull a 25,000lb fifth wheel with a heavily modified 6.2. No issues. I’ll get there when I get there.
Unless your are in something like an F750 (does it use the 6.2L?) then several things don't add up:
Please provide your fifth wheel model#, its LOADED PIN (not published) weight and your tow vehicle info.

Proof pics of both would be very nice.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:25 AM
William Grayson
Trailering
Originally Posted by Army RET
Unless your are in something like an F750 (does it use the 6.2L?) then several things don't add up:
Please provide your fifth wheel model#, its LOADED PIN (not published) weight and your tow vehicle info.

Proof pics of both would be very nice.

Empty scale ticket

Pulling into campground outside of Slidell La

Loaded scale ticket.

Hope these help. My truck is a heavily modified F-250. Some on my modifications are listed in previous posts in this thread. In addition I only pull at 50-55. Always allow extra following distance and an escape route. Also, my previous truck that I referenced was an f750 wit a 370 gas. Had a 5 speed spicer with 2 speed rear axel. It was cut down to 15 feet and rigged as a mobile home toter. Current toter is a Volvo white cut down to 17 feet with a 300 Cummins and a 13 speed fuller.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:21 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
BRAVO!!!!!

Old 09-05-2019, 12:58 PM
rvpuller
The4.88 gears are a huge asset when getting the load rolling. With the 3.73 gears, I could pull the load. But, I had to push the motor so hard that the truck would shudder when starting off. Not sure if it was clutch slippage in the transmission, or the torque converter. However, the4.88s fixed that problem. At 2000 rpm with 245/70R19.5 tires. I am doing 57 mph. In retrospect, 4.56 gears would have put me above 60 at 2000, while still having enough reduction to get the load moving. The 16 ply tires ride rough! I have 14 ply on the front. There is a noticeable difference in sidewall stiffness and ride between the two. You have to inflate the tires according to weight. While empty, I run 65 in the rear tires. When loaded with a 4000 lb pin weight. I run 90lbs. This gives the best ride and handling for my configuration. The 16 ply tires can be inflated to 125 lbs. so, I feel like I went a little overkill on my tire choice. It takes a little trial and error to get the tire pressure right. If they are overinflated, the truck will feel like the rear end is sliding around. Also, the vision wheels have a larger valve stem than stock. Therefore the TPMS sensors would not work. I had to swap to band type sensors. My last piece of advice; do not do to a car tire shop. Go to a truck stop to have the tires mounted and balanced. They have the equipment to handle these tires. The sidewalks are too stiff to be mounted with an automobile style tire machine. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck.
Interesting I have a DRW with 4.30 gears and 245/75/17 tires (31.5") and are 65 mph I'm running 2000 rpm, always wondered what it would do with 4.56 gears, I'm guessing it would be about what you are getting with your 33" tires.

Denny

Old 09-05-2019, 01:34 PM
William Grayson
Trailering
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz
i think this has pretty well been hashed out - but if your going to be full timing you will be running the trailer at GVWR - so dont try the "oh we won't have that much stuff". You will. We typically run at or OVER GVWR every time I weight - and we, in my opinion, don't have a lot of stuff.

If your going to keep the gas F-250 stick with travel trailers. you can get some nice ones in the 30-32 foot range with 3 slides etc etc that will do nicely. They simply don't have the payload for a 5th wheel. if you want to go 5th wheel.....you really want a 16k GVWR 5th wheel as those have all the features your talking about, and to do that you need a F-350 Diesel.
I actually pull both. I have a 39 foot Jayco eagle travel trailer that I pull for my daughter.the Jayco weighs around 15k. I also have a 44 foot DRV Elite Suites. It weighs 25k and has a triple axel configuration. My truck feels more planted and has less sway with the fifth wheel. When I pull the TT, it is worth the extra time to hook up the anti-sway bars. Even then, it sways more than the fifth wheel. Hope this helps.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:42 PM
William Grayson
Trailering
Originally Posted by rvpuller
Interesting I have a DRW with 4.30 gears and 245/75/17 tires (31.5") and are 65 mph I'm running 2000 rpm, always wondered what it would do with 4.56 gears, I'm guessing it would be about what you are getting with your 33" tires.

Denny
It would be close. I really wanted 4.56 gears. I went with the 4.88 because the 245/70/19.5 tires were taller If I had it to do over, I think I would go with 225/70/19.5 tires with 4.56 gears. I feel that configuration would give more drivability but still have adequate capacity. I wish I had bought the rig you have. But, already had truck when wife fell in love with fifth wheel. With the gear change I took a 3mpg loss when driving empty. Gained about 1mpg loaded. If your transmission isn’t slipping, I wouldn’t Go through the expense of a gear swap. I saw the gearing as insurance against a transmission failure.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:47 PM
rvpuller
It would be close. I really wanted 4.56 gears. I went with the 4.88 because the 245/70/19.5 tires were taller If I had it to do over, I think I would go with 225/70/19.5 tires with 4.56 gears. I feel that configuration would give more drivability but still have adequate capacity. I wish I had bought the rig you have. But, already had truck when wife fell in love with fifth wheel. With the gear change I took a 3mpg loss when driving empty. Gained about 1mpg loaded. If your transmission isn’t slipping, I wouldn’t Go through the expense of a gear swap. I saw the gearing as insurance against a transmission failure.
Wasn't planning on a gear change now but when I ordered my truck if it didn't pull my 16K trailer the way I wanted I would have done it. I gross 20400 loaded and I'm happy with the trucks performance, not the fastest up a grade but it gets the job done.

Denny