Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Possible lightning strike - now no-start

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:18 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
I checked the voltage at the now-disconnected passenger terminals and it was 10.2 volts. Checked the drivers side battery at its post and it was 12.7. The keys were not in it at any point. All battery terminals and posts are bright and shiny.
If the battery was completely disconnected and spontaneously self-discharged, how could it be the fault of a ground or cables? You have already removed them from the equation.

A battery in good condition that has no load on it discharges, but at a very slow rate - around 5% per month for a lead-acid battery. If it is self-discharging significantly faster than that, there is a problem with the battery.

Low overall system voltage can wreak havoc on your electronics - usually fully resolved once proper voltage is restored. It still doesn't explain several other issues you're having, like your OBD readers not functioning, but I'm not convinced that isn't a completely separate issue anyways.

If you're working with a battery that is NFG, any further diagnostic efforts will be haunted by low voltage. You won't be able to be certain of any of your diagnostic results. If the battery is bad, it has to be replaced anyways, right?

Old 10-15-2018, 12:50 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I’m not talking about battery discharge rate. I’m talking about how the voltage is fine at the battery but 3V lower at the other end of the cables.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:11 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Ah, at the passenger side terminals, not the passenger side battery terminals. My mistake.

Your 2000 is different than my 2002 in engine bay wiring, and many have had huge draw issues. Hang on, I'm looking for an excellent writeup one of the members did here.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:32 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
I *think* it was @Nicmike who did an incredible writeup on his journey to resolve a parasitic drain issue on his Ex - but I can't for the life of me find it and I don't see it in the tech folder (can't believe it's not there). Hopefully someone with better search-fu will be able to direct you to it. IIRC, it was ultimately a fusible link.

*edit* https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ternators.html

There are also a ton of threads on parasitic electrical system drain, which can be a long process to diagnose - not difficult, but time-consuming.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:09 PM
andym
Post Fiend
I don’t know that I have a parasitic drain. I definitely have a truck that won’t start.

ArmyLifer was kind enough to let me borrow his OBD-II adapter so I would have a known working adapter to test. The results are the same so there is clearly something still wrong electrically with the truck. I got Walmart to replace one of my batteries so now I have two fresh batteries to work with. I wasn’t able to replicate the weird voltage problem I saw so maybe I did have a slightly wonky battery after all.

When I plug the adapter in, the green power LED blinks slowly a few times and then goes solid. None of the other lights on the adapter light up at all and the device doesn’t show up in the Bluetooth scan.

This is pretty conclusive proof I have a bad PCM, right?

Old 10-18-2018, 04:31 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I went thru 3 obd elms thinking they were bad. Only to find out, gotta have key turned to acc for it to "talk"..

Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 PM
andym
Post Fiend
I just went and tried every key position. No Bluetooth and no more lights on the adapter.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:56 AM
andym
Post Fiend
The PCM is out and on its way to Chattanooga. Thanks for the recommendation on that guys!

Old 10-21-2018, 01:55 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I have a friend who recently experienced a no start. We trouble shot everything, checked all wiring, checked all components and then pulled our hair out checking fuel delivery and everything else we could think of. He sent his PCM to Chattanooga, and sure enough it was bad. Guy at the repair shop said it was the first time he had seen a PCM go bad in that way. It was a re manufactured PCM it turns out...not the original.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:56 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
... and I don't see it in the tech folder (can't believe it's not there).
Egads, I can't believe it either!

It's almost like, the guy in charge of that folder isn't omniscient and has to rely on others to bring note worthy threads to his attention! If only a notice were posted somewhere alerting people to this request from extra eyes that come upon good tech threads......

All joking and ribbing aside, please guys, our tech folder is only as good as the content and the content is provided by all of you. Please don't hesitate to send up smoke signals if you come across something you think will be helpful.

Stewart

Old 10-27-2018, 07:05 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Update time!

I got my PCM back from Chattanooga. He said both it and the Hydra tested fine. However, the PCM would sometimes not start if a PATS-disabled hydra chip was attached to it. My Hydra does not support PATS and the latest set of tunes I got from 1023 do not have PATS enabled either. The PATS module itself controls the light on the dash, so that light flashing is just the PATS module complaining that the PCM isn't talking to it. With the PATS-disabled Hydra chip and the PATS-disabled tunes, the PCM basically doesn't care what the PATS system is telling it. I couldn't even tell you for sure that the light wasn't flashing madly at me before. I do know that it was flashing after I started it, but the truck ran fine so I never paid any attention to it.

Jonathan at Chattanooga diesel tech said that he would recommend re-flashing the PCM with a non-PATS tune to solve the occasional no-start condition. I told him that I have 160/80 single shots and he flashed my PCM with an appropriate, PATS-disabled tune. I plugged it in, and no start. I kind of thought that this was going to be the case, to be honest. After exchanging a few e-mails with Jonathon I feel like I have a better understanding of how the PATS system works. So anyway... there is good news at the end of this story. I can now READ CODES!!!!

Both my bluetooth adapter and ArmyLifer's will now sync up with my Kindle and Torque pro can communicate with them. Still no-go with the wifi adapter and the iPad but at least I can get codes from it now. I pulled two codes. One is P0676 - which is a bad #6 glow plug and the other is an EBP code (I don't have them in front of me). I looked at the sensor data and it was reading 44 PSI - with the engine off. So I ordered a new EBP sensor from Clay. I'll check out the wiring when I replace it, but I remember pulling that sensor last year and even after cleaning it, it looked like it was on its last legs. I should have replaced it then.

So hopefully the new EBP sensor will fix it and then I can work troubleshoot that glow plug.

Thanks for all the help with this so far - especially ArmyLifer!

Old 10-27-2018, 11:30 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Andy, when you get a moment inspect the pigtail on the EBPS as well. Not too long ago a member here had a no start due to what he claimed was a shorted and frayed pigtail wire.

Have you tested the GP's to ensure they each read 2 or less ohms?

I am really curious to find out the cause of your no start.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:24 AM
andym
Post Fiend
The wiring looked OK to me. I replaced the EBP sensor and the reading was back to sane (~14.2 psi). Still no start. I cleared the codes and the P0676 code never came back. No EBP code either. In fact, the only code now is P0683 which has been an intermittent issue with my truck since I bought it. The glow plugs work fine so I never paid much attention to it.

I looked at the live data while it was cranking. The IPR was between 60% and 65% but the ICP was stuck at zero. I unplugged the ICP (oil in the connector again) and I saw the ICP go up to 2,333 psi during cranking. Still no start.

So I guess an injector o-ring spontaneously failed? I feel like I'm chasing my tail around with this one.

Time for a cody test?

Old 11-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Does it buzz test ok?

Old 11-03-2018, 05:10 PM
andym
Post Fiend
How do I do a buzz test without a $400 enginuity or a janky android app?

Quick Reply: Possible lightning strike - now no-start