2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Settling for the gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 12:50 PM
khensley
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
If everyone bought just what was NEEDED, there would be about 70% less trucks on the road, and those would be the XL models.

It's always interesting to listen to this argument, gas vs diesel. I've had both in Superduty. Diesel is awesome when it comes to power. Sometimes it's great for MPG, but as we all know that's a crap shoot, and nothing we can do about it.

Gas is way cheaper up front, and much less maintenance. In some areas, gas is the cheaper fuel, some it is not. Gas isn't normally going to rival the MPG's of a diesel, but again that isn't 100% certain.

For me, it was an easy calculation. My current TT is 5k pounds which I tow 10% of the time according to the towing app in my current F150 EB. We plan on upgrading trailers this spring to one around 8k, which will probably still get towed around 10% of my total mileage.

I just couldn't justify the added costs of a diesel in my scenario. The "wow" factor just wasn't worth it to me. And yes, I drove both rigs, more than once, I a variety of conditions.

Ordered a F250 6.2 CC 4X4 Lariat.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:27 PM
boxrbus
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget to adjust for the cost of mid-grade or premium gasoline when towing, as suggested in the Ford owner's manual

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing (page 272). "

Old 01-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boxrbus
Don't forget to adjust for the cost of mid-grade or premium gasoline when towing, as suggested in the Ford owner's manual

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing (page 272). "
I've tried 93 octane when towing in the July Georgia heat and lf there is any difference in performance over 87 octane I didn't notice it at all. I also didn't notice any gain in mpg's. In fact the only thing I did notice is the waste of money on the full tank of high octane gas. I'll stick with the 87 from now on.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:12 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by morleyz
I read a lot of threads on here about the 6.2 vs the 6.7, many negative on the 6.2..."you'll regret not having the diesel" "the loss of power in the hills/mountains is terrible", etc. etc. I just wanted to take a moment to provide some feedback for anyone who might be waffling between the two. I have a 2017 250, SCAB, LB, 6.2L, 3.73 gears. A few days ago we hitched up our Jayco Eagle 330RSTS travel trailer (scaled weight about 11.3K as ready for camping) and headed out from Chicago to our first destination, Moab UT. The flatlands of Iowa and Nebraska were pretty uneventful and even driving through the constant showers wasn't particularly stressful. We spent the night in Golden CO and headed out on I70 mid-morning. I've driven the mountain passes before, but never with a trailer. Heading out, based on feedback from this forum and the various RV forums I read, I thought I was making a huge mistake even attempting to pull this trailer over the Rockies.

I'm happy to report that when we stopped for lunch in Avon after finishing the toughest passes that I literally had a smile on my face with the performance of this truck. I kept it in manual, mostly in 3rd and just let the engine rev up and down the ascents and descents. Heading into Eisenhower tunnel and Vail pass I had to downshift to 2nd a bit to keep speed. Only dropped below 50mph when I got caught up behind slower traffic. Engine temp was same as always, trans temp peaked at 206. Once I got past Vail, I was able to put it back into D for the remainder of the trip. I'm probably not going to make this trip again any time soon, but I'm no longer worried about towing my camper in just about any situation. I will admit that I probably got 6.5mpg from Golden to Vail, but since I bought this truck to pull the camper but also have to use it for my daily commute, I'm so happy I went with the gasser as it doesn't seem to mind the short trips, has more cargo cap. and saved me 8K for a feature I would rarely take advantage of.

I'm sure there are plenty who need the 6.7 for their needs, but I just wanted to toss my support for a 6.2 with 3.73 gears being a great towing machine for what is probably a pretty large travel trailer.
Great writeup! Thanks for sharing your experience. I've also been extremely pleased with the 6.2L, 3.73 gears, in our dually when hauling and towing near/at max GVWR/GCWR. Somewhere in here I wrote about our trip over Thompson pass on the to/from Valdez.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM
camxracer
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I really enjoy the 6.2 and don't mind the mountain passes in Oregon or getting over the Grapevine with the gasser. My only wish is to have the manual shift switch located on the steering wheel rather than having to reach my hand over to the right stalk.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:23 PM
khensley
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
If it's all about being so much better for towing......why not buy the 350, or better yet, the 450? No doubt that those are better towing platforms all around.

it shouldn't even be an issue, it's all about personal choice in a country that's all about personal choice.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:46 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by camxracer

I really enjoy the 6.2 and don't mind the mountain passes in Oregon or getting over the Grapevine with the gasser. My only wish is to have the manual shift switch located on the steering wheel rather than having to reach my hand over to the right stalk.
Put a Raptor steering wheel on it, love those paddle shifters.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:13 PM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Title could be "How many upgraded to a gasser".

Old 01-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Crabbman P
My sentiments, exactly!

Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 PM
catrasca
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
Put a Raptor steering wheel on it, love those paddle shifters.

How big of a job is it? With the shifter in the steering column I’d really like paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:09 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by catrasca
How big of a job is it? With the shifter in the steering column I’d really like paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
I'm curious as well. I have a Lariat w/o the ultimate package and would like to have a heated steering wheel, along with those paddle shifters!

Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by catrasca

Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
I'm curious as well. I have a Lariat w/o the ultimate package and would like to have a heated steering wheel, along with those paddle shifters!
It's easy, maybe 20 minutes from start to finish. If you have a heated wheel already it's a straight swap for a heated raptor wheel. If you want to add heat it's a little more involved. Just adding a regular raptor wheel was cake. There's a thread here on the swap. Get the wheel off eBay and swap it out and wire up yourself, or get the PnP harness from BoostedGreyGoose and it all just plugs in.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
My 2011 has about 6500 hrs on it now, just checked to see what the oil status was and I noticed that.

Uses no oil, no leaks, and runs/sounds great.

I sea foamed it through the vacuum and it was surprisingly clean. Still pretty much only likes mid grade gas though.

I need to sell it in a few weeks and if I can’t get 10,500 I’ll keep it.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Crabbman P
That is far more accurate!!!

Old 01-16-2019, 12:29 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy
That is far more accurate!!!
Or the title could be "Just another post where gassers converge to convince themselves they made a great decision".

okay, we get it. You bought a gasser. Can we go a week without someone starting a post looking for support to convince them they made a good decision? For the love of god, start a self help group in the general section or something. Have a gasser meet up where you all pat yourselves on the back for buying a gasser. Geez, if you need continued support about your purchase decision, it makes one wonder whether you made the right one.

The only question you should ask is "Is this truck right for me?", "Does it do what I need?" and "Can I afford it?". Not sure why there is such a need (as evidenced by the number of threads and posts) for people who bought gassers to continually justify their purchase? You've got a nice truck. Who cares what engine you have. i have joked about telling gassers to "move to the right when on mountain passes, but honestly, if you can afford to drive one of these (gas or diesel), you've probably done well for yourself. Congrats. Enjoy it and don't worry about what's under the hood. EOR

Quick Reply: Settling for the gasser?