General Automotive Discussion

Self-Contained A/C Units on Trailers???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 07:30 AM
LongRider
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Self-Contained A/C Units on Trailers???

More and more, I see horse-trailers and enclosed toy-hauler trailers that have big air-conditioner units mounted on the roofs.

What drives the compressor on these units ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:28 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
they are self contained units, like a window AC unit. 120 volt driven from a power inverter that runs off 12 volt batteries.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:45 PM
LongRider
Tuned
Originally Posted by tjc transport
they are self contained units, like a window AC unit. 120 volt driven from a power inverter that runs off 12 volt batteries.
Thanks !
I may employ one on top of my sleeper-cab to refrigerate the inside of my truck better.
Being self-contained, I could avoid having to find somewhere on the engine to fit another compressor; maybe even drive the thing with a small diesel generator.
I have good A/C in the cab and it does somewhat cool the sleeper, but it could use a bit of help in this heinous humidity.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:48 AM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RigMaster Power APU - GA Trucks, Inc
See them all the time ,we have a lot of OTR drivers dock at our warehouse.The Co I work for have all Mack Day cabs.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 AM
LongRider
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tony_TAT2
RigMaster Power APU - GA Trucks, Inc
See them all the time ,we have a lot of OTR drivers dock at our warehouse.The Co I work for have all Mack Day cabs.
Thanks !
It appears that one of those units would address several needs at once.

I am a wee bit confused as to the difference between the inverter style and the generator style; I am assuming that the inverter style would use the trucks batteries for the inverted power and keep them charged via the unit contained alternator.
I believe I would rather have the generator style.
I am also a bit confused as to the difference of the heat options; I know what a Webasco is; but, what is "automotive" heating; would that mean that it employs a heater-core/blower and heat provided via the auxilliary engine coolant ?

I can see all sorts of possibilities with one of those units.

I could pre-cool or pre-heat the cab prior to going somewhere; for that matter, I could just keep the thing cool or warm continuously; plus keep the truck batteries fully charged.

Now if I can just come up with the money...........

Old 10-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru
Sorry for the late reply,I work nights & Im about ready to leave in a few.Were all pretty friendly at work so if I can get to see the internal workings I''ll have a better idea then.. If I still worked for National Freight I would definitely have some hands on since we ran some reefers with TK units but thay ran on Aux diesel tanks.I'll get back to ya.Now with the anti idle law thay had to come up with something.Hence the self contained units.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:04 PM
LongRider
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tony_TAT2
Now with the anti idle law thay had to come up with something.Hence the self contained units.
I don't think the anti-idle law is much enforced, maybe in some little revenue-strapped trucker-trap town, but not anywhere I ever go.

When we leave, the trucks are never shut off until we get back, whether it is a couple days or three weeks; no one has ever said anything to us about it.

I am interested in the A/C-generator for my own personal truck; I can see a ton of advantages to those units you linked to.

I am also curious about the "plumbed through the bunk bottom" business; that thing would have to have some sort of inside-the-sleeper evaporator/control unit; I am assuming much like the household "Mini-Split" ductless heating-A/C units of which I have three 240-v 18,000 BTU; they have both an inside and an outside unit, connected via two refrigerant lines and an electrical cord.

If so, it would be interesting (and important) to see how big the inside unit is.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:20 AM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru
As soon as i get a chance Ill take some pics with my flip phone.I'll get a shot of the Sign on our fence & the # to call to report the idle law..Im shooting for Fri morning since Im off Fri night.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:59 AM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru
Unfortunately the rements of hurricane Michael, rain/winds canceled the photo shoot.I'll try again next week.Was dodging tree limbs on the drive home.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:10 PM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru
Old 10-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru
I finally got a few pics this AM after work,a owner operator with a Freightshaker had 1.I been up since 5PM Thursday & just got home at 9;30 AM Friday,so I'll post em over the weekend.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:33 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport

I personally have never seen a roof top ac that was capable of running off an inverter. All my trailers including my horse trailer with living quarters only functions off shore power or generator.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:22 PM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru

The fan & ac& heater hose connections,mounted on the Rt frame rail.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru
Driver said the heater hoses run along the inside frame to the engine.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Tony_TAT2
Posting Guru

The ac lines & weather tight pin connector etc running thru the bottom of the cab.Its not a large hole,smaller than that 4' exhaust flex pipe.

Quick Reply: Self-Contained A/C Units on Trailers???