6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I want a new truck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 07:47 AM
hollygreenman
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I want a new truck.

I have 2015 f350 diesel with 57,000 miles. Srw, 4x4, Lariat. Only new truck I've ever had (and I've had many) that I am completely satisfied with. Best truck I've ever had. NO problems whatsoever. Never had it in shop, do all my own maintenance. Never ran any fuel additives. Runs flawlessly. Not a scratch or ding anywhere except for slights in bed.

Really hankerin' for a 2019. So, first I was wondering if there is a recognized dealer with the lowest nationwide prices. Heck, If I could save a couple of grand somewhere, it would be fun to fly and drive. I'm retired, I can do crazy stuff like that. Any opinions appreciated, assuming that is even allowed on this forum.

One question I have is gear ratio. I know it's been beat to death, but I am still confused. Since this might very well be my last truck, I want it to be right. My present truck has 3.55 ELA. All the same to me. I rarely tow, my truck is just a grocery getter. But, I just might get a travel trailer to pull behind, so that might figure into it. I run LT 295's so the speedometer reads slightly slower than I am actually going. Any opinions appreciated.

Btw, I have never NEEDED this truck, I just WANT it. So, it will be new diesel 350.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2018, 08:28 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
You have the option of 3.31 or 3.55 gears, since you want to run oversize tires to buy huge amounts of groceries, get the 3.55. Pricing can be all over the map and you will be quoted what a dealer thinks he can get at any location.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:55 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Go with the 3.55 gears. You may find adventuring with the travel trailer is fun and do it more than you are planning.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:56 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
For what you use it for I'd go with the 3.55's. A slightly taller then stock tire will drop the ratio down a bit but still will leave you with plenty enough pulling power. You may want to check out a smaller 5th wheel trailer vs the bumper pull. So much better to tow with and easier to set up. You only go around once so why not buy it while you can!!

Old 09-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Decide if you want to order and wait 8 -10 weeks and get the truck exactly as you want. You could save several thousand by not getting all the extras that you may not care about. Most of the time when I talk orders, Dealers are Invoice minus rebates and Maybe a little more.

Or buy a stock truck off a dealer lot..At least you know what todays rebates are. No guessing on what they may be in 2-3 months. You will know if you have a PCO in hand that may expire before your order arrives. Today's interest rates are know ( if loan are used) vs what interest may be in 3 months. Fed has already said they will have several interest bumps this year.

M<y 2017 is the only truck I've bought from a dealer lot. I've always ordered a Lariat with just what I want and not what I didn't. My 2017 is a Platinum and has several things I would not have ordered. But at the time( Last week of the year) I got $6000-$7000 better deal than what I would have got on a 2018 ordered. 17's had rebates, 18's were just hitting lots and didn't have much in rebates, I had a Ford PCO that expired Jan2 and no idea if I could another before an ordered truck would show up, Plus the distant dealer where I found a truck I liked, was willing to give me $5000 more than my local dealer on trade.

For what it's worth, I run the 3:55 and 295 tires and it works great for me

Using the Ford Website you can search dealer inventories pretty much anywhere. Just enter the zip code and pull up the dealers in that area. Pull up their inventories and see what is sitting on their lots and make a phone call,

Old 09-29-2018, 09:59 AM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
I friend of mine here in Indiana buys his trucks from Galpin Ford in Texas. It sounds like they’re really on the ball. As part of his delivery they did minor tweaks like you read about here such as enable the dpf filter screen, Bambi mode etc. He flys down, they pick him up at the airport. HUGE volume dealership. Might be worth a look.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:30 AM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hollygreenman
I run LT 295's so the speedometer reads slightly slower than I am actually going.
So now your Speedo is indicating closer to actual speed.

Here's a fun fact: Ford ships these trucks out from the factory with a Speedo that indicates 2 mph faster than you're actually going. The vehicle speed sensor (that calculates miles traveled) is accurate, but the actual speedometer you see is 2mph faster than the VSS.

So when you think you've got the cruise set at 65, it's actually 63. That's why people are passing you haha

Funner (yes, that's a word ) fact: Ford vehicles "across the pond" indicate 4 mph (or kmh now?) faster than actual. I think they call it the speed bias and it can be manipulated in FORScan to switch between USA and UK bias.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:41 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
I also have a 15 just like your truck and I have pulled my 5th wheel 30,000 miles with 3.31's without any issue. I get 12 MPG's towing. My truck is all stock except for the air bags and hitch I installed myself. Not sure why you would trade in a truck that has been perfect for you. When you hear all the horror stories about the trucks on here. I am glad you have none to tell here LOL. Costco may be a place you could look for pricing. I hear there car buying program is great however i have not used it. If you have the time I would order one from the factory. I have done that with 2 of my cars and that way I got exactly what I wanted. There won't be any incentives to buy a new M.Y. truck. Take your time and make sure of the options you would like to have. I have the super cab which works fine for me I dont need to drag anyone around with me It's just me and the wife. I would never get a bumper pull trailer because I just don't like the trailer hanging off the back of the truck I prefer the weight in the bed over the axle that way the trailer cant wag the dog. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:18 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by jav_eee
Here's a fun fact: Ford ships these trucks out from the factory with a Speedo that indicates 2 mph faster than you're actually going. The vehicle speed sensor (that calculates miles traveled) is accurate, but the actual speedometer you see is 2mph faster than the VSS.
Additionally, you can put the dash screen in "engineering mode" and see the actual speed (for those with OEM wheels/tires) which you'll notice is much closer to the speed reported by a good GPS.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:08 AM
hollygreenman
Mountain Pass
Thanks for all the great replies. Now thinking ordering it from the factory and using x-plan for pricing.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:37 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t know if your 2015 has a heated steering wheel or not. I added one to my lariat and absolutely love it. The newer lariats one of the packages has heated wheel as an option where it was platinum only... Second item I go back and forth on is AMP retractable steps. Have fun shopping!

edit: add clearance lights on the roof as well if you like them. 95 to add now vs more later

Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cangim
I don’t know if your 2015 has a heated steering wheel or not. I added one to my lariat and absolutely love it. The newer lariats one of the packages has heated wheel as an option where it was platinum only... Second item I go back and forth on is AMP retractable steps. Have fun shopping!

edit: add clearance lights on the roof as well if you like them. 95 to add now vs more later
I have the AMP steps, and love them! They've been on the truck since 2011.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:36 AM
hollygreenman
Mountain Pass
Thanks again for replies. I ordered it just yesterday. Black/black, Lariat stuff (not into Platinum or King Ranch bling), 20" and all the rest of the stuff. 3.55 ELA for "extra heavy groceries" . Went with fixed running boards. 8-10 weeks out.
These Super Dutys really retain their value. Got good price for trade-in. No regrets or buyers remorse, YET.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:38 PM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Now for the wait. LOL
I have done this for my GT500 and my wife's Taurus SHO
Waiting sucks but the rewards are awesome.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:24 AM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
I also have a '15 that's been the best truck I've ever owned. I usually trade every four years but it was a hard decision to make this time. I know if I don't trade that between the depreciation of my truck and the increasing costs of the new ones I may not be able to get another one. I ordered a '19 F-450 King Ranch two weeks ago. Scheduled to be built this week and ETA of 11/1.

Quick Reply: I want a new truck.